Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
These "people" are individuals you associate with?
Yes.

Quote:
This is a situation involving "men," or just men you know and hang with, and bitter blokes on the interweb?
Men.

Quote:
Not this woman.
There are 7 billion people on earth. You are one person.

What is your point?

Quote:
It's not a "men" and "women" issue. It's a matter of lack of introspection, a faulty picker and limited lived experiences to better understand relationship dynamics and what goes in to building and sustaining a relationship, which can be very individual, which is where introspection and lived experiences factor in.
Sure. But even old people do this.

I've seen married couples give hypocritical advice too.

Quote:
Not all advice is created equal. Even advice from "experienced" individuals is colored by their own experiences, attitude, background, beliefs/ideology, relationship dynamic, preferences, life goals, etc., which isn't necessarily universal or sound advice for all relationships. You use the advice/tips/tools that have the potential to work and discard the rest.
This would apply to any advice you give as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
That seems about right. Fortunately most of us fall into that average category somewhere and even if we struggle there are things that can be done with fashion, fitness, etc. that can help one's standing out.
Young people mainly care about look. Older and more mature look for other qualities as well. They might compromise look for those qualities, but the outsiders just judge their SO by what they see...

Old 12-27-2017, 11:43 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Yes.

Men.

There are 7 billion people on earth. You are one person.

What is your point?
My point is, you and your ilk have a penchant for talking in absolutes as if it really means anything. You don't know all men or all women, but make assumptions based on your observations of those around you and the interweb. It's erroneous.

Quote:
Sure. But even old people do this.

I've seen married couples give hypocritical advice too.
Sure they do. Which is why you take what seems sensible to you and toss the rest.

Quote:
This would apply to any advice you give as well.
Absolutely. Never said otherwise.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:44 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Studies have been done on this.

Most men agree on the extremes. Meaning.. when it comes to very ugly women, most men agree they are ugly and when it comes to very attractive women, most men agree they are attractive. Even with average women.. most men agree they are average.

The disagreement comes mostly with women who are slightly above average, but still not "gorgeous" or slightly below average but not "ugly". That is where most men disagree dramatically.
LOL! I have head some of the most fierce arguments over whether Angelina Jolie is drop-dead gorgeous, or dog-butt ugly. I'm not kidding, like bring it up in a bar and watch the chaos unfold.

Honestly I can't even decide. At some angles I think she's smokin'...at others, she looks like an alien or something.

I swear with so many threads around here talking about "most people" this and "the norm" that... Do you guys REALLY want everyone to be utterly predictably the same, just so that you can smugly nod your head and feel right about life, the universe and everything? Because that sounds just insufferably boring to me.

I am SO glad I don't live in your world. It sounds so...limited, and disappointing.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:56 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Lol... not really. Each can steer in different direction, and one could try to brake while the other is accelerating
Think about that and what the result would be.The ride could get a bit jerky but they'd still only go one way and end up in the same place together.
If they want a smoother ride, they learn to cooperate or coordinate.
Of course, marriage haters will say the woman will break his steering wheel and insist on doing all the driving and choose all the destinations.
Poor men.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:10 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Disagree. Years ago when I was a young meathead in the Army, one of my best friends and I would go out drinking, hitting on women and generally being rowdy most weekends. After a bit we started to notice that the women I found the most attractive were fairly different from the women he found the most attractive. As we moved beyond just looks to other traits our tastes diverged even further. For instance, long hair and a good snarky dark sense of humor is an absolute must for me, but those are things that are pretty low on his priority list.

Point being that the person you might consider thoroughly average is wildly beautiful to someone that values those particular traits.

As I've gotten older and been more and more comfortable with who I am, I've seen those things even more clearly. We just don't all have the same taste. Once you get past believing that Cosmo, GQ, and MTV get to define all things beautiful, life is a lot more enjoyable.
Yeah, yeah, the ol "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" line. Yeah, yeah, "everyone is beautiful."

Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Most people are hypocritical about dating
Most people lack self-awareness, intelligence, and reason.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:26 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL! I have head some of the most fierce arguments over whether Angelina Jolie is drop-dead gorgeous, or dog-butt ugly.
I find Angelina Jolie to be drop-dead gorgeous.

And if you say otherwise...

...I will respect that your opinion reflects on you, and not on any innate trait of Anglina Jolie

Old 12-27-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
My point is, you and your ilk have a penchant for talking in absolutes as if it really means anything. You don't know all men or all women, but make assumptions based on your observations of those around you and the interweb. It's erroneous.

No one said ALL.

And you don't know ALL men or ALL women either. So your opinion carries no more weight than mine.

Thanks for playing.

Quote:
Sure they do. Which is why you take what seems sensible to you and toss the rest.
Common sense.

Quote:
Absolutely. Never said otherwise.
Good.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL! I have head some of the most fierce arguments over whether Angelina Jolie is drop-dead gorgeous, or dog-butt ugly. I'm not kidding, like bring it up in a bar and watch the chaos unfold.

Honestly I can't even decide. At some angles I think she's smokin'...at others, she looks like an alien or something.

I swear with so many threads around here talking about "most people" this and "the norm" that... Do you guys REALLY want everyone to be utterly predictably the same, just so that you can smugly nod your head and feel right about life, the universe and everything? Because that sounds just insufferably boring to me.

I am SO glad I don't live in your world. It sounds so...limited, and disappointing.
I live in the real world. Where do you live?

Angelina Jolie was very attractive when she was younger (like most people) and is less attractive now (like most people) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships