Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,003 times

Advertisements

I am 34 and he is 50...I have dated guys my age and they all have been nightmares. This one he treats me like gold. We're both on disability and I plan on going back to work in a year or so. He's not the best looking thing but he is clean. Before he became disabled he worked a lot and teach for classes. He's not in a wheelchair or anything. He only needs a walker when it's cold because of nerve damage he has no control over that. He lost a ton of weight. Our sex life is pretty good and I have a lot of flaws with my body but he just doesn't care.

My family and my friends told me I can do so much better and that I am lowering my standards.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 05:42 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,047,330 times
If your family/friends think you can do better tell them to produce him.
If you like each other and treat each other well, ignore them

Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 AM

953 posts, read 836,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekitehu786 View Post
I am 34 and he is 50...I have dated guys my age and they all have been nightmares. This one he treats me like gold. ... Our sex life is pretty good and I have a lot of flaws with my body but he just doesn't care.

My family and my friends told me I can do so much better and that I am lowering my standards.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation
Answer to your question is no. As a consenting adult, only you have the final say ... not your family or friends. How many people are treated like gold, have met a person who is accepting of them complete with all flaws and also state that their sex life is more than satisfactory?

Houston, I do not see a real problem here, unless you allow other voices to unduly influence you.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:04 AM

314 posts, read 436,887 times
If you two are happy then so be it. politely tell your family and friends you are happy and that they should be happy for you.

Now if you want to be a little spiteful to them when they say "you can do so much better" reply to them "They may or may not be true but you obviously settled because you could've done a lot better yourself".

Old 01-03-2018, 06:05 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,263,329 times
If you are being treated well, that is really the bottom line.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,342,122 times
This is simple, do you honestly believe that your family has your best interests in heart/mind? Or do you Honestly believe they are being petty for their own self gain?

I know, it's hard to see past the criticism (and I'm sure it was hard to Voice, how much do YOU like saying something that might hurt someone you care about?), but too often when you're IN the situation you can't see the forest from the trees. Meaning, you lose sight of the overall picture and only see the specific details.

Unless those who spoke up have gone out of their way to hurt you in the past, I wouldn't dismiss their concerns.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:13 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,974,587 times
Your family and longtime close friends can often see things you can't when you're in that hormone-driven relationship buzz. I'm not saying it's true in every case but you could be lining yourself up for an "I told you so".

Think about the economics of this. You say you're going to be working again soon. This guy is disabled. The average SSDI monthly payment is $1,171 per month. There are a few career high earners on SSDI and people have private disability insurance who get a lot more than that but the vast majority of disabled people are below poverty level. Do you want a relationship where you're condemned to a life of poverty?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,959,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Your family and longtime close friends can often see things you can't when you're in that hormone-driven relationship buzz. I'm not saying it's true in every case but you could be lining yourself up for an "I told you so".

Think about the economics of this. You say you're going to be working again soon. This guy is disabled. The average SSDI monthly payment is $1,171 per month. There are a few career high earners on SSDI and people have private disability insurance who get a lot more than that but the vast majority of disabled people are below poverty level. Do you want a relationship where you're condemned to a life of poverty?
Good points. Also, he may be only mildly disabled now, but what about in one year, five years or ten years? Frankly, before I would make a long term commitment I would go with him to his doctors appointments and ask about his future prognosis.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:44 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,545,403 times
You have to make the call yourself. You are the one in charge of your own life. Be prepare for the worst, and you should be good. That's all.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,267,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

OP has said she is going back to work. HE may be "condemned to a life of poverty" but she apparently has some earning power of her own - we don't know the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships