Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 01:53 PM

228 posts, read 161,910 times

Advertisements

We all have those Facebook friends that constantly update our feeds with their relationship photos and statuses. Would you say they are insecure and want to show off for approval?

The older, wiser and more developed I've become, I just see less use of social media in general.

Example:

I have an ex-friend who suffers from chronic low self-esteem. She's a very insecure and jealous person.
Ever since she's gotten into a relationship, and married, the Facebook posts keep going. Regularly posting pictures of her and her husband. She even updated her Facebook name after she got married.

She told me once, I want to make sure the world sees how happy I am.

What do you guys think?

Do you frequently post your relationship on social media? Or not? Why?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 02:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_charge View Post

I have an ex-friend who suffers from chronic low self-esteem. She's a very insecure and jealous person.
Ever since she's gotten into a relationship, and married, the Facebook posts keep going. Regularly posting pictures of her and her husband.
My married friends often post pix of them with their spouse and kids. It's their family.

Quote:
She even updated her Facebook name after she got married.
That doesn't seem unusual. Her name changed. So she had to update her social media.

Quote:
She told me once, I want to make sure the world sees how happy I am.
It's funny that she thinks she owes "the world" some reassurance.

Quote:
What do you guys think?

Do you frequently post your relationship on social media?
Do you mean "post about their relationship"??

I think most people recognize attention hogs. I'm equally averse to those who are so self-consciously humble about posting that they end up making a big deal about it anyway, like, "I don't wanna brag, but I am so proud of Hubby ..."

Just be normal. We all want to see fun pix, so just post them with captions. Then move on.

Also, read post #22 here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...13-dont-3.html

Old 01-27-2018, 02:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
My family frequently appears on my social media. The grandparents love the updates.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I also updated my social media accounts with my married name when I changed it. Because that's what many will search under. Why would you not update your name if you have a name change?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:37 PM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
She's happy, let her be.
We're happy without threads specifically about Facebook...let us be.
I should say the mods are happier without them.

Last edited by old_cold; 01-27-2018 at 04:01 PM..

Old 01-27-2018, 03:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
I think although people are all different about this, for many people, they want to sing out their happiness to the world. It's natural, it just seems more excessive today due to it being so easy to take dozens of pics and put them out there. In the old days it would have been a billfold with lots of dogeared pics in plastic slots.

I think it is possible to hyper post pics to cover insecurity or unhappiness or even competitiveness, but I don't think that HAS to be the case or anything. We're people; we can, so we do.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:31 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,970,381 times
My wife does this with our daughter but it’s meant to really be shared with or fam. I’m sure certain friends get annoyed but they can simply unfollow.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My family frequently appears on my social media. The grandparents love the updates.
Oh my gosh, same here. The way they constantly beg for more you'd think they'd been stuck in the gulag for the past 14 years being starved of grandchild pics.

I try my best to convince them that the kids look about the same today as they did yesterday, the day before and last week...nope...no dice.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,391 times
Actually I think its the opposite, if someone never mentions or posts pic's with their SO they may be keeping their options open, at least when in the dating stage.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:21 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,845,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
Actually I think its the opposite, if someone never mentions or posts pic's with their SO they may be keeping their options open, at least when in the dating stage.
Very interesting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships