Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 04:14 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,055,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
My late husband was extremely against my getting a tattoo, even a small "hidden" one, so I didn't get a tattoo. I loved my husband and I didn't want to make him unhappy.

A few years after he died, I treated myself to a tattoo for my 60th birthday. A small "hidden" one. I know it's there, that's all I wanted.
I have a small one on my left ankle covering a scar. I wear mostly jeans or pants so hardly anyone knows it’s there, but I prefer it to having the scar visible. I was 50 when I got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,115,041 times
I don't get it, I love tattoos on women.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times
My then-soon-to-be wife wanted a small tat on her ankle about 15 year ago. I've never liked them, especially on women, but since she was hyped about getting one, I paid for it. Then a decade or more later she and her daughter wanted to get matching tattoos, this time on her forearm. I was really against it, but she said it would be a small one. What could I say? By this time she was pushing 60 and had very thin skin. It messed up big time -- looks like a big ugly bruise. (Oh yeah, that "small one" turned into about 2"x3".)

Then last summer she met up with her best childhood friend while we were on vacation, and they wanted to both get matching tats. I told her I wouldn't like it and wished she wouldn't, but she did. It disappointed me, made me feel like she didn't care about my feelings at all, and I still feel that way. I dunno, just seems like couples in a good marriage should try to please each other whenever possible.

Obviously I'm old school, 72 years old and a white collar worker most of my life. My son and daughter both have tats, so it's not something new to me; I just don't care for 'em. I don't dislike people who have them, but I've never seen a tattoo that looked good to me, and I never will.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:06 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,983,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightsfall View Post
Solved, tattoo is going to happen.. I told him that will not be changing.
It's not like you're buying a dress or getting a new haircut. You are making a permanent alteration to your body.

Well, aside from the fact that a tattoo is a leisure suit you can't take off....I mean seriously. I've heard all the arguments. I don't care how cute you think that tat is. Ten, twenty years later, it looks as if you have some deformation or skin disease. Port wine stains are more attractive. I mean, it's art in the same way that Led Zepplin poster you had on your dorm room is art. Kind of cool when you were 21, but a bit of an embarrassment on your living room wall at 39. Or remember that bumper sticker you had on your car when you were 17? Would you dream of having it on your car at 40? Well, that's what a tattoo is: The bumper sticker you'll eventually regret.

And God help you if you get some big garish tattoo on some stupid place such as your neck or all the way down your forearm. You might as well have an "I make terrible decisions" sign hung around your neck in every job interview for the rest of your life.

The funny thing about tats is how, twenty years ago, they were seen as outward signs of self-expression and individuality. But now, it's basically a sign that one has chosen a different brand of conformity, the kind that can't be given away to Goodwill or washed off in the shower.

I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist. According to her, she can't give an epidural to a woman in labor who has the classic Tramp Stamp across the lower spine, chiefly because of the dangers the ink could potentially cause.

And, most of all, simply blowing off your husband's thoughts on the matter doesn't exactly extend the circle of love. I mean, if my wife told me that she didn't want me to go out and buy a Harley, I wouldn't go out and buy a Harley.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 01-22-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM

32,559 posts, read 47,729,085 times
I don't know...... it's OP 's body, but her husband is really opposed and forever, until death or divorce, he is going to have to look at a permanent reminder that his wife has total disregard for his feelings.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know...... it's OP 's body, but her husband is really opposed and forever, until death or divorce, he is going to have to look at a permanent reminder that his wife has total disregard for his feelings.
That's the main point, to me, regardless of how someone feels about tattoos.

Might as well add a banner beneath it that says "Too bad, so sad" or "Sorry, not sorry."

Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And if he really, really dislikes it/them, it could end up being a big turn off/ deflator.
"Lights off, please, darlin' "

Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I have a small one on my left ankle covering a scar. I wear mostly jeans or pants so hardly anyone knows it’s there, but I prefer it to having the scar visible. I was 50 when I got it.
I have one on my upper arm. Got it together with my daughter when I was 58. I keep it covered for work.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:05 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,180,151 times
Just remember, you live with your husband, not people on CD.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM

995 posts, read 1,690,135 times
You'll regret it. Instant method of securing your spot in the lower class. I'm sure people will hate me for saying it, but there are a lot more people serving food and selling clothing with tattoos than litigating cases, passing laws or performing surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships