Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 09:13 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Some people just don't want the emotional hassle of having that conversation. I can understand that because when I have ended a relationship with women, and gave them the reasons I no longer wanted to be romantically involved they got all mad, emotional, and sometimes downright mean.
Also many people do not like confrontations. What one person perceives as a meaningless fling others perceive as more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 09:16 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I wasn't aware that casual meant people could ignore common decency.

Wish I didn't know that now.
I don't think anyone is saying that. However, when you state the relationship is casual, and non committal, I don't think one should feel poorly if ghosted.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:18 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying that. However, when you state the relationship is casual, and non committal, I don't think one should feel poorly if ghosted.
They shouldn't, IF both parties agree on the noncommital part, but it sounds like james wanted the ol' uncommitted commitment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesoriley86 View Post
... all I want is a steady lay without commitment lol.
To me, "steady" = he had expectations, and that is why he's disappointed. It's a contradiction.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:19 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
Quote:
I would say that ghosting is a lack of common decency.
And if doing so "because it's casual" is acceptable...

Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I wasn't aware that casual meant people could ignore common decency.

Wish I didn't know that now.
Like it or not, there is a difference between ghosting a committed relationship and ghosting a casual sex only fling. Neither are the best look but one is not that bad and one is just straight wrong.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:34 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Casual means no explanations are required.
That's what I'm thinking.

There wasn't really any need to formalize anything, or even say anything. It was hitting and quitting and then that went away...seems logical to me. She got bored, found somebody else, whatever, she moved on because when you have no agreement, like exclusivity, dating, etc., when literally you state right out of the gate "this is sex and nothing but," well, then you get sex...or nothing but. Right? It was what you guys both wanted.

I don't know how you could do things differently "next time," OP, unless you think you did do something...I mean we can't know that. If you think it was performance or something...or maybe you texted her a lot even though she literally just wanted sex and then not to talk to you in between...or something, only you can know that.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesoriley86 View Post
Its happened twice, both with people who were totally into it and mentioned nothing but good things and I’ve also ended casual things myself but I take a different approach. Guess my confusion is if it’s good and what they wanted (per their words) why dissapaear without saying anything? Or is their just no justifying people like this..
Well...I mean if you're not giving them anything BUT sex, well, that would have to be some pretty darned gold-plated sex to make them hang on to just that...because most of us women can get that, plus affection and so on elsewhere. So all other things being equal, even a woman who doesn't want an entanglement/relationship may drift away for someone else to sleep with who also has an added element in there...he's friendly or funny or whatever...I don't know...if all you have is sex that's pretty tenuous because unless we have a third eyeball and a hunchback (no offense meant to any hunchbacks or triclopia out there), generally, women can get sex, we can get our fill of it. If even one thing is unsatisfactory or seems fishy or whatever it's not much for us to move on from that. JMO.

I mean I'm 50 years old, for the love of ham, and married at that, and I still get approached regularly on various forums and the like (that have NOTHING to do with dating or relationships, etc.)...it is pretty easy. That's not a lot to make a woman hang on. It's not a brass ring or a unicorn.

So...you can have just sex but you can't count on hanging onto that. Just accept that moving forward if just sex is what you want. Just understand, she can go any time she wants and no, neither of you owes the other an explanation under these circumstances. There isn't much to interpret, just move on.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly. This is really so simple. No commitment = no responsibilities to one another and no implied future. This assuming that it was outright a just-sex understanding which apparently it was.

I don't see that as a lack of common decency...when from the inception it was about just something physical, with NO responsibility of one to the other beyond calling if they wanted a little, or not calling when they didn't.

Should she have sent him a Hallmark card? "Dearest...well, dearest non-dear person who was just a body, I feel compelled to do the decent thing and let you down gently from something you never committed to at all in the first place"? That could be awkward. God knows it was as awkward to write as I'm sure it was to read.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,182 times
I still think it's human decency to let someone know

Of course, I've never had a *purely* sexual relationship. I don't even really know how that exists outside of prostitution. And even then....

Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Also many people do not like confrontations. What one person perceives as a meaningless fling others perceive as more.
I think this point is important. Like no matter WHAT she perceived it as (meaningless fling, or more) she clearly now feels that responding to your messages is not a thing she wishes to do.

Possible reasons are many, so I'm not going to speculate on what she is thinking, or feeling, really.

Possible reasons:
- She senses herself catching feels.
- She thinks you are catching feels.
- She caught an STI and is scared to have "the conversation" with you (are ya getting tested, I hope?)
- She found someone else who better suits her needs, whatever those may be.
- She suddenly noticed your nose hair. It's really distracting.
- Alien abduction.
- She won the lottery and now lives on an exotic island.
- She's pregnant, and is scared to have "the conversation" with you.
- Car wreck.
- Family emergency.
- She's bored with you and doesn't feel obligated to text you and explain that.
- She dropped her phone in a toilet and now it doesn't work.

...see? Kind of a silly endeavor, and a guessing game...

Better luck next time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships