Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 PM

602 posts, read 395,928 times

Advertisements

There is no right or wrong way to go about this. I was with my X for 6 years before we married and it still ended. And there are people who've married after less than a year dating. I have no advice. I'm just happy to see someone on here posting about something positive. Best of luck to you and I hope you two work out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:58 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Hard to say anything cause everyone's relationships are different; but sometimes the same. Too many times, people will convince themselves they won't end up like others. I was very similar to you, dated someone about an hour away only really spent time with on weekends and she wanted more. Difference was, I didn't really commit to her until way later and propose to her until a year and half (still too early in my opinion). I will say in my situation it didn't work out, but that doesn't have any impact on yours.

Do what you feel is right, but never feel pushed or obligated into a situation you don't want to be. I still think you can give it more time, there should be no rush. If she is rushing you then its wrong.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:42 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
If you have to ask strangers online, then don't do it. That voice in your head during your freakout was the voice of reason.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:05 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The end of 2018 is 11 months away so there's plenty of time to still get to know each other over the course of the year before making that ultimate commitment. Also, it takes more than a few months for the novelty to wear off and settle into more of a routine, seeing each other at your best and worst, how you handle difficulties, etc.

There isn't any harm in waiting, whereas there could be harm, so to speak, in rushing things.

IMO.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:25 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
As long as you truly keep your eyes open this year, that's fine. But if you've made up your mind and are just biding your time with your eyes closed, not good at all. This time is critical - I'd advise spending a lot more time together in as many situations as possible to really see how you work together.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM

777 posts, read 452,514 times
Nothing wrong with thinking about it. If marriage and family is something you want, I'd say not even thinking about it after a few months is a sign the other person is NOT right for you. If someone doesn't inspire happy daydreams about a future together, why are you with him/her?

But give it plenty of time before actually doing anything. Getting engaged and/or agreeing to live together after dating for a year is perfectly reasonable, IMO. Having discussions about what your other goals and dreams and how you handle life and finances and household chores is reasonable during that first year together. Take the time to learn how compatible you are in all areas of life during that first year.

Congrats, I hope it all works out for you. Come autumn, I hope you're back announcing your engagement

Old 01-28-2018, 11:49 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,547 times
Congrats on finding the right woman for you. Your relationship appears to be all that you want/need right now, which is great. Why not continue to enjoy and get to know each other? If it is real, she will be with you
whether you are engaged or exclusive. Slow down, the ring can come later. You know that you are moving too fast.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:36 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
Congrats on finding the right woman for you. Your relationship appears to be all that you want/need right now, which is great. Why not continue to enjoy and get to know each other? If it is real, she will be with you
whether you are engaged or exclusive. Slow down, the ring can come later. You know that you are moving too fast.
Yes. You are moving too fast but that is all. Nothing wrong with the two of you committing to each other and likely nothing wrong with actually putting that engagement ring on her finger. From then on it's about learning how to put up with each other's ways and cementing that bond.

Congratulations and all the best to both of you.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
It's never too soon as long as you both are on the same page. She's a lucky girl and it seems you're lucky in love too!

Old 01-28-2018, 12:47 PM

529 posts, read 508,211 times
Get engaged and put off marriage until you've lived together. Win win. She ain't gonna cry about you not wanting to commit, and you can proclaimed your love with all the gusto of romeo without the caveat of separation being a mess. You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships