Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 AM

508 posts, read 459,546 times

Advertisements

I met someone online several years ago through online gaming. We hit it off and became inseparable. I'm several years older than him and have an established life in another state (long-time job, home, etc).

When I first met him, there were issues with other females where he would secretly hide conversations with them, or "hang out" with them online after I went to sleep. He blamed it on immaturity. Fast forward to a couple yrs later, similar things happened at his job where he would hide overly friendly relationships with other females. There wasn't much I could do since we lived in different states, but I always managed to find out eventually. Again, he'd blame it on immaturity.

I am aware of a young female at his current job that he is enamored with. By enamored, he came out and admitted to me he was attracted to her and liked being around her. The two would go out of their way to be together at work, and walk around and talk.

I made it clear that if WE were going to continue, he needed to cut her off. I didn't mean he couldn't be friendly with her, but it was evident by their conversations that the lines were being crossed. He would tell me about their private conversations, at least I would hear some of it, and these were things I would NEVER tell anyone at work. They were going down the sexual path, she would get up close to him and follow him, commenting on how he smelled good. The conversations seemed very personal.

Since he wasn't going to do anything, being the person that I am, I messaged her through Instagram and told her to back off. Did I go to far? Probably, but I didn't care. Next month he is moving in with me and starting his new life here, and I needed to know this type of crap wasn't going to follow.

I told him that I messaged her because he wasn't going to do anything, so he approached her at work the next day and asked if someone messaged her. She said yes and let him know she's mad at him and will no longer speak to him. He told me she was in tears, and now he feels horrible that I hurt this "really good person".

That was a couple weeks ago and he now claims they never speak and she avoids him, but I suspect that he has reconciled with her and apologized. I picture him confiding in her, and making himself look like the victim. There are times we're on the phone and I'm certain I hear his phone vibrate with a text, but he claims he received nothing. We're both on his phone plan but he's assured me they don't call or text eachother (at least not that I can see). I know there are apps out there that hide this kind of stuff, and the fact I hear texts come through but don't see them raises that red flag.

I've tried calmly talking to him about my concerns but he gets extremely angry and defensive, calling me an idiot. He'll just say that he's coming here should be proof enough he doesn't have anything going on with her and that she still doesn't speak to him.

Before I let this guy come live with/off me, I'd love to hear feedback. Please keep it nice. It's Sunday and I'd like to not be called names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,337 times
You don't trust him, why would us?

So many trust issues going on and you still had him come to live with you, I don't see any problem here if you don't. Did you write this post?

Old 01-28-2018, 12:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Do you want to have to do this forever? Right down to calling girls to tell them to back off? Even if you do, he won't. He will get tired of it. I would look for someone else. And next time, let the guy make his own decision, don't go calling women to tell them what to do. If his decision is that he wants you and only you, and you feel the same way, then it's a match.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:51 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
It is up to you, but also, maybe he is just a friendly guy, some people like to talk/flirt with everybody,but they don't really mean anything by it.

Be careful not to become too possessive or jealous & not allow him to talk to anyone, I know one couple, where that happened, the man had to quit his job,because the wife was so insecure of him working with females, which is totally ridiculous, as they are somewhere near 50% of the work force.

I also know if my DH took it upon himself to call a work colleague or a friend, & say, back off me, if nothing was going on, he'd be in big trouble. I expect him to trust me.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:56 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I met someone online several years ago through online gaming. We hit it off and became inseparable. I'm several years older than him and have an established life in another state (long-time job, home, etc).

When I first met him, there were issues with other females where he would secretly hide conversations with them, or "hang out" with them online after I went to sleep. He blamed it on immaturity. Fast forward to a couple yrs later, similar things happened at his job where he would hide overly friendly relationships with other females. There wasn't much I could do since we lived in different states, but I always managed to find out eventually. Again, he'd blame it on immaturity.

I am aware of a young female at his current job that he is enamored with. By enamored, he came out and admitted to me he was attracted to her and liked being around her. The two would go out of their way to be together at work, and walk around and talk.

I made it clear that if WE were going to continue, he needed to cut her off. I didn't mean he couldn't be friendly with her, but it was evident by their conversations that the lines were being crossed. He would tell me about their private conversations, at least I would hear some of it, and these were things I would NEVER tell anyone at work. They were going down the sexual path, she would get up close to him and follow him, commenting on how he smelled good. The conversations seemed very personal.

Since he wasn't going to do anything, being the person that I am, I messaged her through Instagram and told her to back off. Did I go to far? Probably, but I didn't care. Next month he is moving in with me and starting his new life here, and I needed to know this type of crap wasn't going to follow.

I told him that I messaged her because he wasn't going to do anything, so he approached her at work the next day and asked if someone messaged her. She said yes and let him know she's mad at him and will no longer speak to him. He told me she was in tears, and now he feels horrible that I hurt this "really good person".

That was a couple weeks ago and he now claims they never speak and she avoids him, but I suspect that he has reconciled with her and apologized. I picture him confiding in her, and making himself look like the victim. There are times we're on the phone and I'm certain I hear his phone vibrate with a text, but he claims he received nothing. We're both on his phone plan but he's assured me they don't call or text eachother (at least not that I can see). I know there are apps out there that hide this kind of stuff, and the fact I hear texts come through but don't see them raises that red flag.

I've tried calmly talking to him about my concerns but he gets extremely angry and defensive, calling me an idiot. He'll just say that he's coming here should be proof enough he doesn't have anything going on with her and that she still doesn't speak to him.

Before I let this guy come live with/off me, I'd love to hear feedback. Please keep it nice. It's Sunday and I'd like to not be called names.

Hello.You can NOT trust this person.YOU are right in how you're feeling based on his actions.Please don't allow this person to move in with you.This 'relationship' should have ended the 1st tine you caught him talking to women...meaning overstepping his boundaries with them.. being inappropriate.He KNOWS what he's doing..just seeing how long he can get away with doing it with you.Don't allow him to move in with you please.Break up with him now,today.He will always make excuses for his behavior.I know you love him but he's not a good guy.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:02 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
I'm not staying with anyone who calls me an idiot.

The eff?

He sounds manipulative as hell and unfaithful. This man has shown you over and over again that he's not trustworthy for a committed relationship. He doesn't respect boundaries, he doesn't respect how you feel, he doesn't respect your "relationship," he doesn't respect you period. But if you can deal with that, stay with him. If not, you know what to do.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:03 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
You really want to live with a person that called you an idiot?

Old 01-28-2018, 02:28 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Did I miss something here?
You've never even met each other in person but he's coming to live with you??
You told off a work friend of his because he talks to her and you think you hear his phone make a noise and because years ago he talked to women online? You're online 'exclusive' for years?
How old is this guy? And you?
Tell me I read that wrong

Old 01-29-2018, 12:14 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Have you even met this guy? You know this isn't a real dating relationship, right? What do you mean you're inseparable - you've been nothing but separated for years.

If someone I was interested in or "dating" threatened one of my friends - or especially a coworker - I would end my relationship with them immediately. That is unstable, controlling and manipulative behavior.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:35 AM

314 posts, read 439,844 times
You cannot trust him and you most likely never will, DO NOT let him move in, let him go and move on, it really isn't worth the headache and I think deep down you KNOW that if he moves in, there will be more incidents and then it will be really hard to get rid of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships