Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:55 PM

70 posts, read 65,134 times

Advertisements

I think mines is pretty bad in light of valentines day im eager to know if anyone has bad breakup stories. A few years ago My GF ( ex now) cheated on me ON valentines day and stole $100 from me. Crazy thing was we went to elementary school together. Then reconnected senior year in high school. I still see her mom at the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 07:58 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
LOL (not at your situation, OP, THAT is sad and terrible, but at the thought of the potential to this thread).

Marking my spot.

Maybe I'll share a few later.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:51 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Worst thing someone did to me. Definitely The Ex. As in, ex hubs of 18 years with whom I had 2 kids...who swore he'd always love me, and that he was mine, heart, body, mind, soul, and even if I cheated (and I did not) he was sure we'd get through anything because there's more to our love than just sex. That guy. After about a year of escalating violence and threats of violence, I finally said "I can't do this anymore. All of this. I'm done." At first he took it...well. Seemingly well. He wasn't happy, but we went to bed together, I scratched his back while we watched TV, as always, we fell asleep. The next day, he blew up my phone at work with more and more insanity and threats and when I finally got home, held me at gunpoint for some 8-10 hours, way into the wee hours of the morning, while he ranted and raved at me. That first night...we could have maybe reconciled, with counseling, with work...after the second, nope, it was over. Over, over.

I felt like a hostage in that house, I continued to live there for about a year after that, even though we were broke up, but in a separate room. Reason being, he didn't have a job and couldn't afford the house on his own, and threatened my life if I did anything to "stand in his way" of this and that...so I was willing to give over anything he wanted, and had to wait until he figured out what that was. During that time, he moved in and out of our house, homeless drug addicted women he was trying to hook up with, and man... The crazy. It was off the charts. But I finally got out and no one died.

The worst I ever did to someone, aside from that situation? I was dating a guy (actually it was part of a poly thing but I won't go into all that.) Because of various things going on, nothing terrible, just doing what I needed to do for my life at the time, I broke up with him (them, actually) and I forgot completely that it was the date of our anniversary. Such things are a BIG deal to him, and I was so wrapped up in my life drama, I just...forgot. It was a "I want to still be friends" kind of a break up...at least so I intended. But he had already made big plans and spent big money and there I was breaking up with him on our anniversary. These days, we're still friendly but not close, just sorta both moved on and drifted apart, but when he explained to me why it hurt him so much and clued me in to my obliviousness, my god I felt like a jerk. I still feel like a jerk for that! I think I should feel like a jerk, because if I didn't feel like a jerk for such a jerk move, that would make me even MORE of a jerk. *sigh* I'm sorry, dude. But! He's happier now with a more compatible woman for him, so that's good.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
I had a bf who totalled my car, promised to pay me monthly for the value of it, then stole my debit card, paid me back with my own money and invited me to dinner with my own money and let me pick out a watch for him that he also paid with my money. He also threw some rounds of champagne when we met our friends at the club.

I found out about 6 weeks later when I got the bank statement. I went to the bank and they had video tapes, showing him how he withdrew money on the ATM with a big smile on his face.

I sued the crap out of him, it took years but I got all my money back.

That was 20 years ago, where you had to wait for the bank statements to be sent and you pay everything in cash.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
15 years ago my ex-GF ghosted on me (back then I didn't know that was a thing). I just thought it was very disrespectful that she didn't even have the decency to break up with me in person, or even at least a phone call. After about 2 weeks I finally got in touch with her and then she officially broke up with me. She mentioned she was still in love with her ex, who she always talked about while we were together and how great the sex was. I got her on the rebound right after she broke up with him. The one good thing that came out of that is all the lessons learned.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
My boyfriend of 4 years had a really tough month. His landlord was selling his WAY below market rent apartment (as in what he and his roommate paid for a 2 bedroom in total was less than a dumpy bedroom with 2 or 3 roommates) and because he was on an at will lease, he had to move with little warning to save up the first/last/security demanded in the region we live in - not to mention the cost of moving itself. Then his car was totaled, but because it was so old he got less than $500 to replace it.

So while I would normally never lend, ever someone money (the whole "don't lend money you can't afford to give away" thing), I lent him $500 to help him get a car and secure a new apartment. He had a plan to pay me back. That might not sound like much to many people, but that was a LOT of money for me at the time.

Two weeks later, he dumped me by text 15 minutes before he was due to meet me at the hospital to be with me through a scan to see if my cancer had returned. It hadn't, but by the time I arrived at the hospital I was such a wreck that my medical team had to sedate me.

It was without warning. We had an argument a few days before when I discovered that his cat had destroyed a laptop charger I had lent him and he seemed disinterested in replacing it - which should have been a sign - but I didn't expect it to lead to a break up. And certainly not via text!

I asked for the money and some of the other things that I had at his apartment back. He refused to respond, except for one angry text about how it was "just like me" to ask for money. I decided it wasn't worth it to sue as nothing was in writing anyway.

It has been 3 years and he still regularly tries to contact me. I have never responded, and even still some of his messages imply that he would be willing to forgive me. Mmmk, right.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:36 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My boyfriend of 4 years had a really tough month. His landlord was selling his WAY below market rent apartment (as in what he and his roommate paid for a 2 bedroom in total was less than a dumpy bedroom with 2 or 3 roommates) and because he was on an at will lease, he had to move with little warning to save up the first/last/security demanded in the region we live in - not to mention the cost of moving itself. Then his car was totaled, but because it was so old he got less than $500 to replace it.

So while I would normally never lend, ever someone money (the whole "don't lend money you can't afford to give away" thing), I lent him $500 to help him get a car and secure a new apartment. He had a plan to pay me back. That might not sound like much to many people, but that was a LOT of money for me at the time.

Two weeks later, he dumped me by text 15 minutes before he was due to meet me at the hospital to be with me through a scan to see if my cancer had returned. It hadn't, but by the time I arrived at the hospital I was such a wreck that my medical team had to sedate me.

It was without warning. We had an argument a few days before when I discovered that his cat had destroyed a laptop charger I had lent him and he seemed disinterested in replacing it - which should have been a sign - but I didn't expect it to lead to a break up. And certainly not via text!

I asked for the money and some of the other things that I had at his apartment back. He refused to respond, except for one angry text about how it was "just like me" to ask for money. I decided it wasn't worth it to sue as nothing was in writing anyway.

It has been 3 years and he still regularly tries to contact me. I have never responded, and even still some of his messages imply that he would be willing to forgive me. Mmmk, right.
lol, how generous

Old 02-01-2018, 10:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
My worst break up was with my ex husband.

We were married 7 years total, dated 4 years before we got married. Happily married for 5 years, the 6th year was going down hill, as he was cheating on me, and I knew it.

It was our 6th wedding anniversary, which had gone unacknowledged, and we were laying in bed to go to sleep when he says "I want a divorce."

It was like an electric shock to me...I jumped out of bed, and then I didn't know what to do. I'm standing there naked (because I always sleep naked) just frozen.

At that point, he volunteered to go sleep on the couch, I layed in bed awake all night and crying, and then long story short...I moved out soon after, and we got divorced.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
The most recent one.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM

27 posts, read 15,437 times
Worst break up? Man left me for a married woman with kids. That's because she was rich. Heard now he's with another rich woman. Lucky me, I'm off him immediately - male gold digger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships