Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,824,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not see this as a date, it is a first meeting to explore the possibility of a first date.
There is no basics handbook or guideline.
Go, meet, talk, see how things go, decide if you want to meet again.

This is pretty much exactly what it is.

And my biggest danger is getting blown off or cancelled at the last minute and expended all this mental energy in vain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Says the guy who has never dated. Did the scantily clad pic give you any clue? Lol.

You have no clue what you could be getting into...post the ad.

Nah.

I have plenty of experience with Craigslist, if not a somewhat traditional meeting.

And right now you are borderline troll.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I do not see this as a date, it is a first meeting to explore the possibility of a first date.
There is no basics handbook or guideline.
Go, meet, talk, see how things go, decide if you want to meet again.
I guess I will go backwards.

I walked her to her car and she was the one who straight up asked if I would be interested in meeting again.

Of course. She said she would wait to hear from me.

Except I am not really sure how attracted I am and I certainly don't hear wedding bells. I somewhat insinuated when it came up I am not very experienced or that I haven't been dating for a long time. I also said I have no expectations or objectives but felt I should explore any opportunities or possibilities. At the conclusion I qualified it by saying I am always interested in meeting new people. So meeting again could mean anything.

But I got through it comfortably. And I am aware of the fact it could be years before I have the opportunity again.

I didn't invite her back to look at my etchings and I wasn't thinking the whole time about her thighs wrapped around my head.

But I do consider the evening to be a rousing success based upon the rather simple criteria that things went along quite well from beginning to end. Whenever an awkward silence almost reared forth, I was able to take charge and recover quickly.

I am not a good spontaneous conversationalist and not always comfortable with strangers but I did in fact have easy guidelines to remember and follow. They were right in the ad.

Once upon a time the ad was based upon finding someone with a shared academic interest but a rather strict reading as in a professor or published author specializing in certain historical periods that interest me but after a year with zero responses I recently loosened it to "I want a date with someone who has heard of pre-Roman England" and got 2 responses. One was yes I have and I am looking for someone to move me to Los Angeles and support me for the rest of my life and then this one who said "I just read a book on Stonehenge and would love someone to discuss it with."

As this absolutely was a singles ad and not a platonic friends only ad, she asked a few point blank personal questions which I answered honestly and she answered in kind but otherwise we talked at length about a wide variety of related and unrelated topics.

I know my posts are a roadmap through the world of alienation, loneliness and perversion but I really do crave intellectual conversation from time to time. In this case I really did get what I wanted.

Only on Craigslist.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,558,485 times
You are one weird dude.

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
... she asked a few point blank personal questions which I answered honestly and she answered in kind but otherwise we talked at length about a wide variety of related and unrelated topics.

...sounds like a successful date.

Keep going. Don't overthink it.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:10 PM

2,445 posts, read 2,572,884 times
Quote:

Except I am not really sure how attracted I am and I certainly don't hear wedding bells.
Don't overthink everything. You just met!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You are one weird dude.

This:

...sounds like a successful date.

Keep going. Don't overthink it.

Yes, I intend to keep going.

But where?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, I intend to keep going.

But where?
The point is to try and get to know her.

So think of things you think are fun, and see if she would like to accompany you. During that time, continue the conversation you had and see how compatible you are and if there is chemistry.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Don't overthink everything. You just met!
I am not overthinking, I am trying to communicate the thought that though I was the one who was nervous and not sure what to do, she clearly wants to see me again, but while I am interested in "being friends," I am not sure I feel any particular attraction.

I don't know what went wrong inside or out that put me decades behind that I am like a 15 year old going to a first high school dance but this is just the way things are.

OK, what now?

Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I am not overthinking...
Uh ... yes you are, only two paragraphs later ...

Quote:
I don't know what went wrong inside or out that put me decades behind that I am like a 15 year old going to a first high school dance but this is just the way things are.
Quote:

OK, what now?
I already told you "what now."

Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The point is to try and get to know her.

So think of things you think are fun, and see if she would like to accompany you. During that time, continue the conversation you had and see how compatible you are and if there is chemistry.
I was hoping to keep going but somewhere else.

Does "chemistry" really exist? What does this mean?

She is a nice person and it's great we are both interested in pre-Roman English history and I am extremely flattered someone has continued interest in me and would entertain the possibility of some very casual private time but not sure we are compatible beyond that.

So, a successful date but still at zero.

Which is fine, I can't believe I pulled even that off.

But now the uncertainly settles on where to keep going if that is what I am supposed to be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships