Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM

777 posts, read 452,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
If you're doing online dating, I've found phone calls can be a good way to gauge basic interaction and chemistry. It's certainly not a tell-all, but it can help further formulate your mental image of who you've been talking to.
The BEST way to lose the mental picture and see the real person is... see the real person.

I prefer not to hand out my phone number until after seeing someone in person for the first time. If nothing clicks in person, then there's no need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 AM

163 posts, read 138,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
The BEST way to lose the mental picture and see the real person is... see the real person.

I prefer not to hand out my phone number until after seeing someone in person for the first time. If nothing clicks in person, then there's no need.
True, but the phone call can help you decide if you want to meet the person to begin with.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Texting invites a lot of miscommunication and misunderstandings. It's better to hear someone's voice to pick up tone, inflection, and emphasis.
Best response here.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
True, but the phone call can help you decide if you want to meet the person to begin with.

The problem is, loads of really great conversationalists go completely mute on the phone. I've experienced that a lot. They hate the phone and clam up or are abrupt on it.

And on the other side, there are people that are super gregarious on the phone, but quite and turtle in person.

I've found very little correspondence between phone chemistry and real life chemistry, personally.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
I am on the fence about this. I met a guy while out and about a few days ago. He started talking to me and we hit it off. I could tell he was interested but a bit shy so I offered him my number, which he gladly accepted.

He texted me saying he wants to go out and that he wants to talk more once we go out. One of my best friends says it's a bad sign and that he should be calling. Normally I would agree with her but he and I just met. Even talking over text, he's been very respectful, gentlemanly, polite. Given that we haven't had our first date yet, I didn't want to start laying down demands over him calling. Since he strikes me as shy, texting is probably most comfortble for him right now.

Since he wants us to talk in depth in person, I am ok with texting for now. I am not interpreting it as a lack of genuine interest.

I guess it depends on the situation. If I met him online, I would definitely prefer a phone call. But since we met in person from the start, had the opportunity to talk face-to-face already, and a certain level of interest and attraction has already been established, I don't feel bad about him texting, especially because he wants to make plans with me. The only hold up is that I have a crazy work schedule that makes it hard for me to plan things within a few days, which I let him know.

So I am letting him slide on the texting for now.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:41 PM

27 posts, read 15,459 times
Good to start with texting and I prefer calls provided the caller messages me first that he's making a call and just "quick calls" to start with.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Yes, and definitely yes!
Phone calls are essential in a relationship. As another poster said, texting is impersonal, even though I text at times, but I do speak on the phone. You should hear their voice, and they yours.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I like talking in person.... I'll take a phone call as a substitute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships