Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 02:53 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,409,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I feel about VDay the same that I feel about New Year's. They're not real holidays, but it's fun to acknowledge them, and you don't have to be obnoxious about it. Sparkling wine and good snacks are always welcome.

I am cracking up that Super Bowl Sunday is being thrown around as a high pressure couples holiday, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I know, LOL!

SBSs makes me feel highly pressured to bring the most awesome snacks and not make bad armchair calls. I am REALLY good at the former and pretty shaky on the latter.
You two are females that didn't go to a Super Bowl party as a single person. Single females usually don't go to Super Bowl parties. I have been to a Super Bowl party as the only single male amongst a sea of couples and it was pure torture. I'll defend that assertion based upon what happened that Super Bowl Sunday is a litmus test holiday just as Valentine's Day.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:17 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,323,258 times
Quote:
Probably 60 years or so ago, women expected to get flowers and not give a bought something in return.

Back in the day, when women didn't make money but men did, a guy would have bought something, a woman would have had to give something less materialistic, I suppose?

I know few...actually, no women with such an entitled attitude and no thought to also showing appreciation.
I only dislike V day to the extent that it makes a kind of public obligation out of displaying a very private feeling for someone.

To your point, I agree in terms of men and women typically participating. Don't you think there's still much more marketing aimed at men, though? Or more accurately that the holiday is marketed as an opportunity for men to succeed or fail romantically, and with the marketers pointing the way to success. Women are just as influenced, but more often to judge the gifts men give. And as much as we like to think we're above all that, we're clearly not. Neither men nor women are at fault for this, as each are exploited toward an end ($). Hard to buck.

Which is a shame. Obviously not everyone is affected, and those affected vary by degree. But on average men buy into this idea that this day can be screwed up, and think that buying something is the answer. We buy into the commercialization/exploitation of feeling with a sort of befuddled resignation. We offer presents, when our presence is more likely desired.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:02 PM

14,203 posts, read 11,465,601 times
Quote:
My husband likes it too. He gets lots of chocolate. Sex is not an automatic tradition because it isn't like sex is so incredibly difficult to procure and rare or something. I mean we can have sex on the 13th and the 15th too, you know?

But See's Candies are only a few times a year. D
I don't know about that. I get a couple of See's chocolates every time I go to the mall.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:05 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,853,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Not with the drama queens I have dated/married.
You didn't realize they were drama queens, and then stop dating/not marry them?

Old 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I this is precisely the reason.....

There isn't a holiday to celebrate the husband's contribution to the household. Assumption that her contribution is greater than his worthy of a highly commercialized holiday is flat out wrong. It screems entitlement...

You, as the coworker, don't really know what happens in their household. So that's speculation.

It should be a celebration of the couple. It would go a long way to also do something for your husband's on this day... Especially in a household of equals.
It IS a celebration of the couple.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:14 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,992,311 times
Quote:
It IS a celebration of the couple.
Maybe to you. The pressure is on the husband... Traditionally and to a certain extent today as well. I'll leave it at that as we almost always disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I'm sure men hate Valentine's Day because it has degenerated into a materialistic Female Worship Day. There's a damn good reason the breakup season takes place between New Year and Valentine's Day.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:19 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You two are females that didn't go to a Super Bowl party as a single person. Single females usually don't go to Super Bowl parties. I have been to a Super Bowl party as the only single male amongst a sea of couples and it was pure torture. I'll defend that assertion based upon what happened that Super Bowl Sunday is a litmus test holiday just as Valentine's Day.
I've been to Super Bowl parties as a single person loads of times. It's a room full of friends watching TV and eating snacks. Honestly, the only torturous part was the football. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 02-11-2018, 04:20 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,992,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My husband has received some very nice gifts on Valentines Day.

Here's a hint guys: if it is one sided then leave. Consider Valentine's Day a gift that shows you what type of woman you are dating.
Your husband is lucky to have you.

Probably a reason many break up soon after.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:22 PM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've been to Super Bowl parties as a single person loads of times. It's a room full of friends watching TV and eating snacks. Honestly, the only torturous part was the football. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LMAO.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Your husband is lucky to have you.

Probably a reason many break up soon after.
IMO, if it takes until Valentine's Day specifically to figure out you are with someone entitled and high maintenance who doesn't love your inside self any more than you evidently chose her for hers, there is a larger problem than just Valentine's Day.

This person's husband isn't lucky, he is a guy who chose substance and a real connection. Lots of guys actually do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships