Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenyap View Post

Ha ha ha ha ha! Yeah...kinda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 10:57 AM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I have lived with a wide range of cleanliness and lack thereof. I lived with a Great Aunt, who was a perfectionist about every little bit of her home. I adored her, and did my best to live up to her standards. Eventually, many years later, she got dementia and had to be put into a home, and I had to go to her condo, and pack up family heirlooms, as the rest would be auctioned and the place sold. I arrived (had to fly in from out of state) and went first to the condo...when I saw that there were cobwebs and dust in the bathroom, and a dead beetle or fly here or there, a bit of stain on the carpet...it hit me so hard that the shell of her home was empty of her, and I lost it and just cried and cried. I did not have to, but I took the time during my trip, to clean that place top to bottom. Because she would have wanted it that way.

Then the years with my ex, who was a hoarder and a slob. We are not just talking bodily functions here, like the farting, or the condition of his underpants, or even the wiping of snot on sleeves... He would take food into the bedroom, sit there eating on the edge of the bed, and wipe his greasy, filthy food covered hands on the comforter. And leave perishable food sitting on the floor by the bed overnight, if I didn't find it first, and then put it back in the fridge the next day. Drink straight out of containers that other people expected to be able to share, like 2 liters of soda or the jug of OJ, and put it back in the fridge. The man was nasty. On top of being emotionally abusive. "But you never made me feel WANNNNTEDDD..." Yeah, maybe try being the sort of human another person would...uh...want? Jeez.

Left to my own devices, I'm in a middle ground. I do the dishes, scoop the litterbox, and make my bed daily. First thing every morning. But I don't always keep up with the vacuuming, and I might go a very long time without dusting or washing windows. Bathrooms...well, I try not to let them get too bad, but that's the one chore I HATE, so sometimes I don't clean them as often as I should. I don't like clutter. I like all of my things to have a place that they belong, and to be in their spot. I will notice if anyone moves anything.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How important is this in a relationship to you?

I know a couple who got divorced after over a decade of marriage, and it was resulting in one person being a little more "gross" in their habits than the other.

Personally I find cleanliness to be of major importance.
I think it depends. Hygienically, yes, but being messy is different than being dirty.

For example, my fiancé is clean... showers regularly, wears deodorant, doesn't smell, bushes his teeth... lol but he is messy that he doesn't make the bed, never picks up after himself, leaves his clothes in a pile on the floor instead of putting them away... those kinds of things.

It's annoying but of course not a dealbreaker... but someone who had bad hygiene I would not be able to be with someone like that.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I feel like my DH and I are in agreement on keeping the house clean. We both help in that matter, but I do more as I only work part time. Now that my children are getting older they help too. As far as personal hygiene goes, I would think one would know pretty early on if their significant other was not cleanly. To me, that would be a deal breaker! Even my 12 yr old knows to wear deodorant!

Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
People tend to neaten up the older they get. Once you own your own home, and especially after having kids. Something about having babies and toddlers around makes you much more conscious about dirt and germs. Later when they are teens and your house is constantly cluttered, you are relieved to become a neat freak when they finally leave for college.
This is true especially about older DD. When she lived at home she was a total slob. I relayed a story on the pet forum about how our cat used to leave her presents of dead mice on her bedroom carpet. She'd throw her clothes all over the floor, not noticing the mice until they started to smell bad. And leave a dozen dirty glasses on the dresser and desk. Her bed was NEVER made. She used to let her guinea pig sit on the table and eat from her dinner plate.

Now that she has a house of her own, she's a fuss budget about keeping everything spotless. All toys have to be picked up before bedtime. No dirty dishes in the sink EVER. Bed linens changed EVERY Friday...no exceptions. Oldest grandson has to make his bed right after getting up. No food or drinks in the bedrooms (I do sneak my coffee in the guest room before she wakes up). Sunday is a top to bottom cleaning marathon...every room dusted and vacuumed, and all the bathrooms cleaned.

When I babysit the grandsons, 5:00 is "Clean Up Time", before supper and bath. We NEED that whole hour to clean up. DD gets home about 7:00. That means pick up the toys, clean up the kitchen, destroy all the evidence. DD has a rule about no more than one bin of toys out at a time...but on a typical day I babysit, we'll have a Lincoln Log village, 3 train sets, and a Duplo town taking up the whole living room. Her DH gets home a lot earlier, but he doesn't care about the mess...as long as it's cleaned up before DD gets home.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-16-2018 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
"By the end of the day".

Honestly, I don't get that. To me, it still means you are basically living in a mess 99% of the time.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm glad you said this, and I agree with you.

I clip my husband's toe nails. LOL I don't LIKE doing it, but he asks me to. He has thick gnarly toe nails that sometimes he can't get a good angle on...so I do it. When he asks.

He farts out loud, but says excuse me. LOL (I fart silently, and hope he doesn't notice.)

The toilet seat is always up until I close it.

I suppose we are a kind of gross couple...I clip my toe nails in the family room. Sometimes, I lick my glasses to clean them. LOL

MY husband leaves tissues all over the house. Sometimes one of the dogs likes to eat his tissues, and then we have TORN tissues all over the house. He also leaves his tissues in his pockets, that go through the wash.

We're bad. LOL
Lmao!!!

Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
How does a couple looking at someone else's property express very gross behavior? My imagination falls short in trying to envision this scenario.

I had someone use the bathroom in a rental I had vacant. They never flushed. It was a ball of fun walking in that a few days later while I was there to do something.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:47 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I had someone use the bathroom in a rental I had vacant. They never flushed. It was a ball of fun walking in that a few days later while I was there to do something.
And... exiting this thread...

Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
And... exiting this thread...

Yeah walked in and the first thought was wtf is that smell. I thought the water in the P TRAPS evaporated and I was getting sewer gas in the house. I couldn’t believe it. But hey the agent was nice enough and left her card on the counter.
The clients were looking to move in the place in some ridiculously short time. I think they wanted to move in 3 days time. I declined as I couldn’t mee5 that deadline nor would I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships