Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 AM

22 posts, read 16,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
But what do you mean "good"? Was he more active, did things together, since this seems to be your main complaint?
He might have been abit more active but not much. I want to travel more and he's not that type so it's for the best we go our own ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:53 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne43 View Post
Everything was good, but unfortunately I don't feel that spark anymore, have fell out of love and have been trying to avoid intimate stuff
Pretty sure you’ve answered your own question multiple times.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Pretty sure you’ve answered your own question multiple times.
Yes indeed, maybe the person hadn't read my previous replies so thought I'd reply

Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne43 View Post
Hello

** sorry title should say 12 years older - can't seem to edit title **

I'm with my man now nearly 3 years and we've had a few break ups but got back together. I'm 43, he's 55 and I really enjoy his company, he's so honest, kind, caring and loving but I'm bored in the relationship.

I wish he was more outgoing and we just do the same thing every weekend and I feel like I'm wasting my life! I've told him this at the last break up and he said he'd definitely try and do more things together and go out more but it rarely happens.

I'm at a stage where I want more from it and to get out more and travel abit but he seems to be happy to sit indoors! I really don't know what to do and part of me says he's so honest, loyal and loving etc that I find it hard to let him go as he treats me with so much love and respect!! Then I worry if I do break it off I mightn't get a man as honest and loving as him!

Any advice so welcome as I'm confused and it's causing me Anxiety!

Joanne
I do not see this relationship working out. You sound as if you’re describing a dog.

You must weigh this relationship against the possibility that you will never meet anyone you find more compatible, but if I were you I would live my life the way I want, and if another man comes along, great, but if not, I’d still be living the life I want.

This nice man you are with, deserves better than a woman who always finds him lacking.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:04 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times
By parting ways you will have the freedom to pursue a man who's a better fit for you. However, at the same time, you can end up pursuing a man who's much worse, or you never meet that man that truly lights your fire. I'm not saying you should stay with your current guy, for lack of a better word content, but when you leave, make sure you're willing to leave for good. Don't leave for a couple months, realize the dating world isn't what you hoped it would be, and then go crawling back. I say all this to come to this conclusion. Leave because you're not happy with him, but feel that you can find this happiness on your own. There's no guarantee that you'll find a better match or worse match. You should leave him, because you feel you can find better happiness on your own, even if it means by yourself.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
By parting ways you will have the freedom to pursue a man who's a better fit for you. However, at the same time, you can end up pursuing a man who's much worse, or you never meet that man that truly lights your fire. I'm not saying you should stay with your current guy, for lack of a better word content, but when you leave, make sure you're willing to leave for good. Don't leave for a couple months, realize the dating world isn't what you hoped it would be, and then go crawling back. I say all this to come to this conclusion. Leave because you're not happy with him, but feel that you can find this happiness on your own. There's no guarantee that you'll find a better match or worse match. You should leave him, because you feel you can find better happiness on your own, even if it means by yourself.
Yeah we're finished and it's for the best, if I'm not happy I think that answers it all!

Old 02-21-2018, 04:53 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This nice man you are with, deserves better than a woman who always finds him lacking.

Exactly! You're not happy and don't love him and he may be content but how fair is it to him to stay with him just so YOU aren't alone?

We all have different personalities; yours don't seem to be meshing.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:04 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
Gonna share some wisdom from my prolific polyamorous dating friends here. The "spark" was NRE. "New Relationship Energy." It's when you're all excited about somebody, and they seem perfect, because they are new. It naturally does fade and simmer down. That is normal. What you're left with, is what you're likely to keep. It might be enough, or maybe not. But while you should not expect that "spark" to keep on bein' sparky necessarily, you should, after NRE fades, still have enough in common that you can enjoy life together. Enough to keep you happy to have this person in your life. Or the ability to get your needs met with others, with your partner being happy and ok with that. (I mean your need to do outdoor fun stuff.) If you weren't getting your needs met, because it was with him or not at all, and that meant not at all, then yeah...incompatibility.

Don't blame his age, though. I'm with a man who is nearly 60, I'm 39, and I can hardly keep up with him. We go do lots of things. Parties almost every weekend, conventions, cabin trips to the mountains, hot springs, you name it. Lots of men are still full of adventure at older ages. It's just that the one you were with, as others have said, was a homebody. And you aren't.

Not fighting does not a good relationship make. Life is too short to just keep on keeping on, in ways that aren't true to yourself, just because you aren't fighting. I mean, if you needed each other to survive, or had a family together, or if the thought of being alone seemed a lot worse to you...then yeah, trying to make it work would make sense. But you made your choice, so obviously...you knew where your heart was at.

Just don't a.) chalk it up to age alone, or b.) expect that initial high of NRE to be lasting, or base serious relationship decisions on it either. It's fun, but it's kind of illusory and chemical in nature. You have to look past it, to see the real stuff.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I don't think it's just age either. It sounds like it's his basic personality. I'm 50 and I can't imagine not getting up and running all around the place at every opportunity.

It's reasonable to assume, though, that this will only increase with age. In other words, except under certain circumstances we don't tend to get more physically active with age. So if she feels like this when he's only in his 50s, imagine in his 60s? At 70? These two just don't fit each other.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,647,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think it's just age either. It sounds like it's his basic personality. I'm 50 and I can't imagine not getting up and running all around the place at every opportunity.

It's reasonable to assume, though, that this will only increase with age. In other words, except under certain circumstances we don't tend to get more physically active with age. So if she feels like this when he's only in his 50s, imagine in his 60s? At 70? These two just don't fit each other.
Well. And people usually don't just flip their whole personalities around at that stage, either.

Unless of course, they are David Bowie.

He could be anyone he wanted, anytime he liked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships