Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 PM

728 posts, read 471,812 times

Advertisements

Today brings bad news for me. I found out the woman I cared for more than any other is engaged. We haven't spoken in yrs, it fell apart after I asked her out and she accepted. There were misunderstandings, and with every little passage of time, it became harder to speak to her. Periodically, I will check in and see how her life is going. I saw the engagement announcement. Every woman I ever met, I compared to her. I always told myself until she married, there's some hope. Ever been through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:23 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
Meh I went through something similar with a crush I had on a guy for years.

My friend told me he was dating someone else and soon after had a baby with her.

It stung for a bit until he started "haunting/stalking" me online.

Last edited by Auraliea; 02-13-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
I saw most of my ex-boyfriends become engaged and married for years. I'd seen the announcements in the newspaper so eventually I stopped reading them. My mom worked at a department store and she'd tell me how people would come in to buy things from the wedding registry of someone we knew, a girl that I babysat for back in high school. Things like this were hurtful reminders that I wasn't married and my past relationships had all failed.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:33 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Maybe she didn't share your fetish?

There is no such thing as Valentine's Eve. This year, it's Fat Tuesday anyway. Go eat a hunk of dead animal and then go to church tomorrow for Ash Wednesday. Maybe you'll meet a new girl there!

Ok, maybe that was cold

I hope this is the beginning of moving on for you.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-13-2018 at 04:42 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 04:34 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Oh no. I am really, really sorry.

This may be no consolation now and it probably sounds cliche but it is TRUE. If she actually had been the perfect woman, those little issues wouldn't have happened. Issues would have come up as they do for everyone, but they would not have been of the caliber to ultimately drive you apart. She actually isn't the best match for you, even if right now it feels like she must have been.

I'm not being cavalier. Trust me, I feel you. I had a love mysteriously break up with me, then the next thing I heard, he was engaged. My heart broke in a million pieces. But as it turns out, she was a one-night stand and she wound up pregnant, so he married her. I realize this probably isn't the case for very many people and I'm not saying "it's all good if you can blame the ex" but I wanted to point out: you think you lost the one love of your life, and equally, you envision them having the perfect life. But probably neither is true. She will have a relationship with ups and downs just as eventually you will, too.

I am not hoping ill for these total strangers; I wish them happiness. But I wish you happiness too. I know it is so so hard sometimes. Please keep looking to the future. Your perfect match is out there.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-13-2018 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM

92 posts, read 54,155 times
Very clearly, she wasn't the one for you. But, that doesn't make the pain any less at the moment, I do understand. If the person is not in your immediate orbit, be happy for that. You can fly on your own, find your own peace and be in a good place to meet the right person for you.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,920,042 times
The vast majority of women I've dated seriously are married or have children (or both)

Better them than me.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:25 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,328,608 times
It seems you're always involved with someone that's taken.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 PM

587 posts, read 225,046 times
I am so sorry buddy

Happy valentines day to you (I know its very hard)

Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
I went through something similar years ago with my high school sweetheart. We went different ways after graduation (I stayed at a local college, he went a few hours away). Eventually, our relationship ended as it wasn't realistic with the distance. I know there are many couples who say that shouldn't matter... well, every relationship is different and for us it did.

We remained friends but man, was it hard on me. I became single, he got involved with a girl that looked (still looks) like an Abercrombie and Fitch model. Like, ridiculously perfect, even in sweatpants. Even worse is she's sweet and ridiculously nice. Ugh. They got engaged, married. I went to the wedding and we remain friends even though they live on the other side of the country now.

What I realized is that even though I had serious feelings for him... he wasn't right for me. The longer time goes on, the more your hindsight becomes perfect 20/20. Just because you had romance doesn't mean a good marriage, or a well-matched marriage. If anything, I'm kind of relieved now he chose her because as I've gotten to know him throughout the years, it's clear she has a personality better suited for him. Doesn't argue, quiet, compliant, etc. It isn't right or wrong necessarily... it's just not how I am nor how I could conduct myself in what I would consider a good marriage, for me personally anyway. I would have felt like I was giving in, being someone I'm not, giving up too much.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 02-14-2018 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships