Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times

Advertisements

I'm lucky that the liberals in my life know enough about my intelligence to understand that no matter how much I disagree with them on politics my views do not come from a perspective of ignorance or malice. I see things differently than they do, I do not see things the same way as them and actively choose evil. I suppose it takes a certain amount of intelligence on their parts for them to be able to understand that? Maybe that's what's lacking in people who can't see how they could respect someone who holds different political views than they do?

Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I disagree. My ex and I made it so long (25 years) because we viewed the world through similar lenses. This ensured that we rarely fought about the fundamentals of how to raise our children, the role of church/religion, our domestic roles, our relationships with extended family, our mutual friendships, gun ownership, what we found funny or dangerous in the world, and a hundred other major and minor things that couples face together when heading up a family and household.

I think you underestimate how damaging it can be to have two married partners disagree on polarizing ideological issues.
^^All of this.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM

336 posts, read 195,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
You'd be surprised. Many of my dating years were in the Boston area and although I never had a political litmus test for women I was interested in, I found there to be no shortage of conservative minded women out there for anyone who wanted one. My wife is more conservative than myself in many ways. For instance she is staunchly pro-life while I am unapologetically pro-abortion. She is Christian and religious while I am more of a theist with some Christian sympathies. Although I did date a few wild eyed liberals who would probably be wearing pink hats right about now and likely would have dumped me when they found out I voted for Trump. lol
Yeah, I dont know how long youve been married but things have changed quite a bit in recent years. I was actually going to ask out a hottie sometime back that worked with me, but then saw a pic of her with the pink hat on her head and said, no thanks- not dating a feminist.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 AM

52,232 posts, read 52,648,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is it just me, or do others find it would be difficult to respect someone who voted for Nixon, Reagan, Bush Jr., or Trump?
The problem is is that you're stuck with the entire parties views when you select a candidate. A person my like a few elements of one party enough for them to sway to that side but again, you can't get all of what you may or may not want, unfortunately.

To say a blanket statement like this isn't really fair because again, you're stuck with the entire party/group and someone may not like the rest of that package but they find some things appealing.

Hilary's basket of deplorables comment is a perfect example of not thinking about the big picture. To call half the voting public deplorable isn't really an accurate or having a bigger picture understanding of our political system and not to mention a completely unfair thing to say because we don't know what is truly in a person's heart of hearts. Trump has said way more stupid stuff, just using the deplorables here comment because it fits.

I didn't vote for any of the aforementioned people, just sayin.

This thread doesn't stand a chance of staying on the topic of how it relates to dating, they never usually do when we introduce hot button subjects.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 AM

336 posts, read 195,302 times
Quote:
I get that--the staunch support-your-party voters. I wonder in this day and age, what they would have thought about Trump. Would they have been able to bring themselves to vote for him?
ENough of people did to elect him our president. I dont even care about trump. I just thank god every morning that i wake, that hillary will never be a president of this nation. Thats win enough for me.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:38 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
PS> It's a fallacy that Progressives and Liberals do not also carry legal concealed weapons as well.
If you are liberal/progressive, and vote Democrat then you are voting for taking away that right. Also, if you are in NJ, doubtful you can legally carry a firearm even if you wanted to do so. I have mostly dated more conservative women that support the RKBA, but I have also dated some progressive women who "hate" guns, but didn't mind that I carried one. At least they didn't make an issue out of it. That's a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:41 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,081 times
Quote:
Is it just me, or do others find it would be difficult to respect someone who voted for Nixon, Reagan, Bush Jr., or Trump?
I honestly would have zero respect nor date a woman who voted for Trump. I've experienced that the majority of Trump voters aren't very good people.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:43 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you are liberal/progressive, and vote Democrat then you are voting for taking away that right. Also, if you are in NJ, doubtful you can legally carry a firearm even if you wanted to do so. I have mostly dated more conservative women that support the RKBA, but I have also dated some progressive women who "hate" guns, but didn't mind that I carried one. At least they didn't make an issue out of it. That's a deal breaker for me.
One doesn't need to be 100% in agreement with any particular candidate to support them. It depends on the issues and what is important at that time.

I am also from Texas and many of my friends and family are still there. I used to have a concealed weapon license. My father and I own many rifles, shotguns, and side arms. My mother in law is a staunch liberal (I have many disagreements with her) but she (as well as her partner) are also concealed weapon owners. Any particular candidate's views regarding LGBTQ is very important to her... it has a direct impact on her future. So she generally votes Democrat at this time.... sometimes Republican... depending on the spectrum of opinions they have regarding LGBTQ rights versus Gun ownership.

If there was a Republican who is soft on LGBTQ/same-sex-marriage but also supportive of gun ownership's rights, she would consider the vote. If there was a Democrat who is soft on gun control but supportive of LGBTQ/same-sex-marriage rights, she also would consider the vote.

I am basically same way as someone who is more center/independent. That's the problem with the current political climate here.... I think most of the country is towards the center but both political parties have gone so far left and right that its difficult to determine who should get my vote.

I now reside (have been for a long time) in NJ. While I don't like the gun control policies of this state, there are other things that it does offer that appeal to me. Just because I live in NJ doesn't mean that I am anti-gun-ownership.

The only people who say things like this are line voters who don't think for themselves.

Last edited by usayit; 02-14-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
There are big ticket (political) items that are important in most romantic relationships. If you differ there, you're likely to fail as a couple.

I was recently seeing someone who was hardcore conservative. After a couple months, it became clear I wasn't going to ever be able to tolerate the amount of hate that came with his viewpoint.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:51 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
There are big ticket (political) items that are important in most romantic relationships. If you differ there, you're likely to fail as a couple.

I was recently seeing someone who was hardcore conservative. After a couple months, it became clear I wasn't going to ever be able to tolerate the amount of hate that came with his viewpoint.
Did he say his views were based on hate or did he just have views that from your perspective you would only hold for hateful reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships