Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 10:28 AM

505 posts, read 502,274 times

Advertisements

So...you took a lady out to dinner...on Valentine's Day...to a restaurant that offers pricey items like surf n' turf...and you're upset she chose a pricey item...on a day that is well known to be a "special occasion"?

C'mon man...I'm gay and even I see the nuance.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:02 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
But most women aren't gold diggers right? those guys who complain that Most woman only want guys who make good money are completely wrong right?

Funny how the word cheapskate is the biggest insult that can get hurled at a guy.
Cheapskate as in the intent is to come off as somebody with substance, money but to not actually spend any (or much). Seriously, there is a world of difference between having a cheap date, which is perfectly acceptable, and being a cheapskate, which is not.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
You might want to try a date that does not involve eating heavy foods and actually doing something interesting. In my opinion, it is a lot more fun that sitting in the restaurant. Especially on a weekday after sitting all day in the office...
That assumes I'm the one requesting food. If my date wants something to eat (and, eventually they always have, even if the date didn't start out that way) I'm not going to tell him, "no, you cant!"

I'm usually very good at just saying okay. "How about we go for pizza?" "Ok." "I'm hungry. How about a burger?" "Ok." Sometimes I can get through several hours with someone merely giggling and saying, "Ok."

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
nm...

Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
If I were OP, I would invite the date to an exotic restaurant, i.e. Vietnamese or Korean or Thai, to save money.

In doing so, the OP could:

(1) Demonstrate that he is very cosmopolitan and has some interesting topics to start for chat, i.e. foreign food. And very likely the date would have less knowledge about exotic food and let OP order on behalf of her.

(2) Most likely the tab for all the above exotic restaurants, including appetizer and entree, will be below $20/person. Egg roll + Pho, Papaya salad + Pad Thai, Sundubu + Kalbi,...etc. should be all within the budget.

But just remember don't take your date to any Japanese restaurant.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Cheapskate as in the intent is to come off as somebody with substance, money but to not actually spend any (or much). Seriously, there is a world of difference between having a cheap date, which is perfectly acceptable, and being a cheapskate, which is not.
Exactly.

"Cheapskate" is a description of an attitude.

Just as "gold digger" is a description of an attitude whether it's a $50 lobster plate, the most expensive coffee at Starbucks, or wanting the large-size popcorn plus two drinks at the movie, or asking for a diamond necklace but only giving cubic zirconium "in return"...or whatever.

It's not the amount of money that's the point here, and surely those insisting it is the idea of ordering the most expensive item (presumably??) on the menu - no matter what the actual cost is - that is making this "date" apparently unsavory, not the actual money amount.

Same thing with "cheapskate." If I make $10/hour but refuse a ten-cent tip at a coffee house, I'm a cheapskate. If I make $200K/year and demand my children wear torn, old clothing, I'm a cheapskate...but if all I can afford are thrift shops, and the super bargain-basement ones at that, I'm NOT a cheapskate for dressing my children in clothes from those places.

Pretty straightforward concept.

FTR, how fascinating that those being the loudest about how money is important to women in the "ordering food" scenarios, are the people who are actually calculating every possible exact penny in the scenarios, and keeping a mental score card. Even down to saying they don't care about the actual amount but that she should choose specifically in a certain space on the menu where they (the judgers) have deduced the highest priced items are. It is that specific...yet it's the woman who's into money. 'Cause stupidly, she didn't conform to some dating rule about ordering from the center of the menu, or ordering a salad. On Valentine's Day. Which the OP himself asked to have the date on.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
But just remember don't take your date to any Japanese restaurant.

Good heavens, why?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good heavens, why?
After devouring $100 worth of Sushi, the date might be still hungry.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
After devouring $100 worth of Sushi, the date might be still hungry.

There are plenty of other things to eat at Japanese restaurants other than sushi, and I'm a fairly big guy, and have certainly never eaten $100 in sushi. It would have to be a pretty high end place to pull that off.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:17 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Good heavens, why?

In case they have bluefin sashimi or kobe beef on the menu...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships