Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 10:17 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Or don't choose a high-end restaurant. My honey and I go out to nice restaurants but even there surf and turf isn't $50.00. It wouldn't be that pricey unless you were at a restaurant like Morton's or Ruth Christ Steakhouse where the entrees start in the $30+ range.
Me and my gf do the same things. We're in college so we know we can't afford a high end restaurant usually we'd order chinese, order a pizza, or sometimes cook. Maybe sometimes we'll go to applebees and get the two for $20 meal. It's not really bank breaking.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:18 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well, those people just need to admit that they’re poor and stop acting like it’s their date’s fault.
LoL feeling put off by a $50 plate does not make you poor, poor means you don't eat on the regular.
Poor would have meant he could not afford them both to have a nice halibut. That does not seem the case. poor people could not afford to take even well mannered ladies out.

It's an interesting definition many women in the dating pool have for poor.

And many here keep saying that he should have taken her someplace he could afford, apparently he did. thats different than saying he should have taken her someplace where he could afford EVERY SINGLE THING ON THE MENU!!!

But had he picked out a non generic place where everything on the menu is reasonably priced unless he found that one good non-materialistic woman out of a thousand there would most likely not have been a second date and it would have looked something like this.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:19 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
And if they were offered one candy, and took one?

Just like the OP's date was offered one meal, and that's what she ordered?

What if you offered someone at work a bowl that had a lot of jellybeans and then a few pb cups, and the person took the pb cup even though you felt those were the way better candy of those offered? Would you be furious at the person for taking one of what you offered...because they chose a good thing from among what you offered? That person's an S-stain, how dare s/he?

Why put the pb cups in the bowl, then? Oh yeah. Because you want to tempt the person over by SHOWING the person something...that person just isn't supposed to take that thing. The pb cup is just bait. But oh yeah...it's the taker who's classless. For not guessing that "have one of these" doesn't actually mean have one of those. It means, "Be impressed by the pb cups, but take a jellybean, or else you're useless."

#logic

I have an idea that may sound absolutely nutty, I know. How about you just offer the jellybeans? And then you guys share those jellybeans? If not...is it because the hotties won't be coming over for just jellybeans? I'll bet it is...just a hunch....and while you're supposed to be able to pull a bait and switch, they're not supposed to have any other option but quietly accepting the jellybeans v. the stuff that tastes good. 'Cause ya know...THAT would be classless.
Perfect! No gold-digging pb cup harlots takin that guy for a ride.
Also-- I've gone out to eat and picked out something moderately priced, only to have the other person (who assumed they were paying) look annoyed at me and say: "Chicken?! no, order what you WANT, I said." As if there's something wrong with me, like I don't think I'm good enough to order the most expensive thing...there's no one right answer here, is there?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Me and my gf do the same things. We're in college so we know we can't afford a high end restaurant usually we'd order chinese, order a pizza, or sometimes cook. Maybe sometimes we'll go to applebees and get the two for $20 meal. It's not really bank breaking.
There ya go. It's about the time shared, the meal shared.

My S.O. and I are both financially secure. When I go to see him, sometimes I bring a box of Cracker Barrel Mac 'n' Cheese, the one that's cheddar and Havarti mixed, because I have shown him how much better it is than that KD crap he always ate.

I boil the macaroni and squeeze the orange stuff out of the container and we enjoy it together even though we are up in years and know it's probably clogging the hell out of our arteries.

Don't need no stinkin' steak and lobster. Besides, I'm a vegetarian. And it's OK that I can hear him later in the middle of the night rifling through the fridge for his ham stash.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Perfect! No gold-digging pb cup harlots takin that guy for a ride.
Also-- I've gone out to eat and picked out something moderately priced, only to have the other person (who assumed they were paying) look annoyed at me and say: "Chicken?! no, order what you WANT, I said." As if there's something wrong with me, like I don't think I'm good enough to order the most expensive thing...there's no one right answer here, is there?
Wow. People are so full of projections, that it's astonishing that humans manage to communicate and get together at all.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
LoL feeling put off by a $50 plate does not make you poor, poor means you don't eat on the regular.
Poor would have meant he could not afford them both to have a nice halibut. That does not seem the case. poor people could not afford to take even well mannered ladies out.

And many here keep saying that he should have taken her someplace he could afford, apparently he did. thats different than saying he should have taken her someplace where he could afford EVERY SINGLE THING ON THE MENU!!!

But had he picked out a non generic place where everything on the menu is reasonably priced unless he found that one good non-materialistic woman out of a thousand there would most likely not have been a second date and it would have looked something like this.
"Rib Shack"???

Hyperbole FTW...with this whole post.

(p.s. They have this thing called coffee? Just a heads-up.)

Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post

Sorry, I should’ve said “not financially stable” then. I wouldn’t want to drop $50 on the ground and lose it (nor $5 nor $10 nor $20), but it’s certainly not a large amount of money to me. I’m not going to have to worry about how I’m going to afford groceries without that $50.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow. People are so full of projections, that it's astonishing that humans manage to communicate and get together at all.
It is and it isn't, because I think we all know when two people are really into one another, all this goes out the window. Nobody keeps a spreadsheet open at that point, it just doesn't seem to matter.

I see a few here saying it would matter...except they can't back that by actually having had such a thing happen. So that doesn't really work, either. It's easy to reject a hypothetical person based on chips on our shoulders. But that poofs in a puff of glitter once we really like someone. (Not always...but often.) We just no longer feel so petty about specifics and things wind up balancing out.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, of course you can!

If that was her only fault, but she could be a person who would really love you for who you are, bring light and happiness into your life, but you ditched her because she excitedly ordered a menu item you secretly judged was too expensive for her, it would be your loss.

And you could just keep waking up next to your "principles" for the rest of your life.
I agree...can't rep you again yet.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
We aren’t talking about your coworkers. If it was someone you wanted to date, I’m sure you’d let her take whatever she wanted out of your little candy dish.
I don't see how it is any different. If the person who took the candy by the fistful was someone who I was dating, I'd even be more angry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships