Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't agree. As I've posted numerous times by stepbrother's (now estranged) wife did this in 1983 and 1984. And an unlamented ex-girlfriend did something similar to me on June 28, 1987.
So, no examples or anecdotes from this century?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:18 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I don't agree. As I've posted numerous times by stepbrother's (now estranged) wife did this in 1983 and 1984. And an unlamented ex-girlfriend did something similar to me on June 28, 1987.
Well, two times over the past 35 years...I can see your point. There's definitely a pattern here.

As I said before...come 2048, gentlemen, hold onto your wallets. 'Cause it's coming again! Be very afraid...

Quote:
So, no examples or anecdotes from this century?
I know, LOL!

Old 03-01-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not saying women have never done something like this, but this one IMO is fake. The vast majority of women do not do this IMO.
THIS.

Let me relay a little story.

ONE time, when I was in my early 20s, a guy taking me out for the first time literally asked me as we drove to lunch, "Listen, I just want to clear something with you...if something 'happens' today, you won't cry rape, right?"

1. Nothing 'happened' that day. Or any day. Certainly our little conversation clinched that. (In fact, that was our last date. I was too young and too, I'll admit it, totally shocked to just say "Okay, take me home right now, I'm out.")

2. I paid for myself...

3. That happened one single time. The guy went on to say he asked me because he had heard other guys say it. He didn't say they were actually brought up on charges or anything. But apparently...every once in a blue moon, other men are at least fearing it? Which brings us to...

4. I HAVE heard of this fear since then, primarily on the internet. And yeah, stories. Who knows if they're true, but stories. (IOW, stories of a "willing" woman then "crying rape" and the man's life is ruined and so on.) This must be EXTRAORDINARILY RARE but for some, it's taken on legendary status.

5. *My own* story, of literally being asked (in advance) not to cry rape? Yeah, one time. I'm not taking that, plus the guy saying he'd *heard* of such a thing, and posting pages on some internet forum about how this just happens alllllllllllll the time. How guys constantly clear with their dates ahead of time that if they do it, she won't go to the police, LOL. But really...that's pretty much what's happening here. Somebody heard from a friend of a friend that blah blah....or somebody had it happen "to him" once, in three decades...or somebody who literally bribed dates to go out with him, then turns around and says they're the ones who are materialistic and therefore...it's "frequent." Just no.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:32 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajulaDream View Post
This was right after I had ordered an $18 Halibut..So yeah. I didn't say anything to her as I wanted to be polite, but ouch that's a punch to my wallet.

Tonight was our first dinner together and she didn't offer to help pay the bill either. To be fair she did offer me a piece, and also it is Valentines and I am the one who asked her out. She was excited about going out too..

I'm torn on why the sticker shock is bugging me, I keep thinking about it. I feel like the date was fun and she is incredible in a lot of ways and I find her attractive.. but I'm kinda feeling put off a bit too about it...

I paid for the bill. My concern isn't that I paid. I'm glad to do something nice for her.
My concern is I feel she wasn't considerate at all, and it is weighing on my mind. I'm sorting out my feelings right now. I find her attractive in many ways, but that was a big turn off :/
I order by what I want to eat, not how much it cost. So if you invited me to a restaurant for a date and then complained about how much my meal cost that's on you. You should have picked one within your budget or made it clear that it was a going dutch date.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
THIS.

Let me relay a little story.

ONE time, when I was in my early 20s, a guy taking me out for the first time literally asked me as we drove to lunch, "Listen, I just want to clear something with you...if something 'happens' today, you won't cry rape, right?"

1. Nothing 'happened' that day. Or any day. Certainly our little conversation clinched that. (In fact, that was our last date. I was too young and too, I'll admit it, totally shocked to just say "Okay, take me home right now, I'm out.")

2. I paid for myself...

3. That happened one single time. The guy went on to say he asked me because he had heard other guys say it. He didn't say they were actually brought up on charges or anything. But apparently...every once in a blue moon, other men are at least fearing it? Which brings us to...

4. I HAVE heard of this fear since then, primarily on the internet. And yeah, stories. Who knows if they're true, but stories. (IOW, stories of a "willing" woman then "crying rape" and the man's life is ruined and so on.) This must be EXTRAORDINARILY RARE but for some, it's taken on legendary status.

5. *My own* story, of literally being asked (in advance) not to cry rape? Yeah, one time. I'm not taking that, plus the guy saying he'd *heard* of such a thing, and posting pages on some internet forum about how this just happens alllllllllllll the time. How guys constantly clear with their dates ahead of time that if they do it, she won't go to the police, LOL. But really...that's pretty much what's happening here. Somebody heard from a friend of a friend that blah blah....or somebody had it happen "to him" once, in three decades...or somebody who literally bribed dates to go out with him, then turns around and says they're the ones who are materialistic and therefore...it's "frequent." Just no.
I always love the stories of some nutjob lady who fished a condom out of the trash yadda yadda turkey baster and ZOMG 18 years of child support and now men have to be constantly vigilant against sperm-stealers. Honestly, I'd be surprised if that happened even once, though.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I always love the stories of some nutjob lady who fished a condom out of the trash yadda yadda turkey baster and ZOMG 18 years of child support and now men have to be constantly vigilant against sperm-stealers. Honestly, I'd be surprised if that happened even once, though.
I don't think it could have. A sperm's life outside the body is extraordinarily short.

I feel like such stories are largely based on someone not wanting to admit he slept with someone?

But either way, again, even if a woman does somehow wind up pregnant, and has a story...again...that's a little similar to this thread. The ending - in the case of this thread, that ending is that the woman ate a meal and didn't pay money on the date - is legit. But how they got to that point...? There is A LOT of assumption that women fairly routinely "just" go out for free food. But it seems just as often as not to be based on: she didn't put out and/or she didn't want to see the guy again. Ergo, it MUST have been because she wanted free food one time. It could not possibly be that she went on a date to see if she liked the guy (you know...as in...the purpose of a date), she didn't, so she declined the next date. Yeah, not possible...she MUST be one of those crafty women who get free lobster and run.

Because ego (shhh)...

Ego preservation is real, for both men and women, but where I hate to see it go on is when it's used against a whole group of people just to make oneself feel better...then "teaching" that mistrust of that whole group to the next upcoming generation. I can't shut up at that point...obviously. 'Cause just no. At that point, sorry, my sympathy takes a sharp 180. Own it, stop putting it on (in this case) women.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:47 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Cause it didn't happen. I knew this was a troll drive-by and toss a grenade post as soon as I saw the title. Then when you read it, it is clear it is made up because A. it is his first and only post on city date and B. he proposes there are restaurants where Halibut only costs $18 but surf and turf costs $50. Any restaurant that has a $50 surf and turf meal, which is a LOT even for surf and turf, is an expensive high end restaurant and ALL the entrees are going to be pricey. Maybe a hamburger cost $18 at this made-up place but a seafood dinner would not. $18 for a seafood dinner is a diner price, not a high-end restaurant.
Good point. It is funny, but I was in the city walking back to Penn Station after an event in midtown and I passed a steakhouse called Frankie and Johnnie's. The menu was outside so I looked at it, and there's the surf and turf listed for $55. And that's NYC theater district prices.

https://www.opentable.com/frankie-an...-street?page=1

No halibut, but salmon is $32.

You know City-Data is too much in your brain when you don't even eat meat and you're stopping to read a steakhouse menu because of a thread.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:51 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I don't think it could have. A sperm's life outside the body is extraordinarily short.

I feel like such stories are largely based on someone not wanting to admit he slept with someone?

But either way, again, even if a woman does somehow wind up pregnant, and has a story...again...that's a little similar to this thread. The ending - in the case of this thread, that ending is that the woman ate a meal and didn't pay money on the date - is legit. But how they got to that point...? There is A LOT of assumption that women fairly routinely "just" go out for free food. But it seems just as often as not to be based on: she didn't put out and/or she didn't want to see the guy again. Ergo, it MUST have been because she wanted free food one time. It could not possibly be that she went on a date to see if she liked the guy (you know...as in...the purpose of a date), she didn't, so she declined the next date. Yeah, not possible...she MUST be one of those crafty women who get free lobster and run.

Because ego (shhh)...

Ego preservation is real, for both men and women, but where I hate to see it go on is when it's used against a whole group of people just to make oneself feel better...then "teaching" that mistrust of that whole group to the next upcoming generation. I can't shut up at that point...obviously. 'Cause just no. At that point, sorry, my sympathy takes a sharp 180. Own it, stop putting it on (in this case) women.
Great post, as usual, can't rep you yet.

Staying home and eating cereal for dinner would always be preferable to going out for a free meal with someone I'm not interested in. And I know I'm not in the minority on that.

Old 03-01-2018, 12:53 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Sperm? What does that have to do with Lobster and Steak... What's the price of that dish? lol

Old 03-01-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Sperm? What does that have to do with Lobster and Steak... What's the price of that dish? lol
This may actually be the one dish that no guy is going to complain about having to offer for free.

That's just a hunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships