Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 08:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
When I was dating, any mention of feminism or being a "strong and independent woman" would be show stoppers.

Yeah, if they say I'm not a feminist, I'm out. I couldn't respect a woman that is ok with being a second class citizen, and I can't date someone I can't respect. That's a good one.

Last edited by timberline742; 02-22-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'd add Paul Simon to that list. His lyrics are poetry.
I agree with you, but for some reason if I play my favorite Paul Simon (The Rhythm of the Saints) my cat gets upset. He likes Dire Straits though.

Talk about things that don't need to be in your dating profile. "I have a cat who hates Paul Simon, and if he doesn't like you, I probably won't either." lol! My present bf actually scored points with me a bit, by saying early on, "I speak cat."

Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I agree with you, but for some reason if I play my favorite Paul Simon (The Rhythm of the Saints) my cat gets upset. He likes Dire Straits though.

Talk about things that don't need to be in your dating profile. "I have a cat who hates Paul Simon, and if he doesn't like you, I probably won't either." lol! My present bf actually scored points with me a bit, by saying early on, "I speak cat."
Well, your cat is OK in my book, because I love Dire Straits. Your bf sounds like a catch, too.

I suppose "my girl cat doesn't like when I play my Tibetan singing bowl" or "my cats look at me strangely when I dance around my living room alone at night" probably wouldn't be a big draw.

But amazingly, "I pick up and 'relocate' rocks to my garden whenever I travel" and "I talk to birds and trees" were not only met with hearty approval, I was subsequently introduced to the flying squirrels and birds that HE talks to. Wasn't OLD, though, just a forum similar to this one.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, your cat is OK in my book, because I love Dire Straits. Your bf sounds like a catch, too.

I suppose "my girl cat doesn't like when I play my Tibetan singing bowl" or "my cats look at me strangely when I dance around my living room alone at night" probably wouldn't be a big draw.

But amazingly, "I pick up and 'relocate' rocks to my garden whenever I travel" and "I talk to birds and trees" were not only met with hearty approval, I was subsequently introduced to the flying squirrels and birds that HE talks to. Wasn't OLD, though, just a forum similar to this one.
I love my cat and I love that my boyfriend "gets it"...I mean, it's the perpetual entertainment of having a cute little incompetent villain around the house. It's like living with Marvin the Martian or something. The cat, that is...not the boyfriend. lol!

The boyfriend is a catch, at least in my book. He found me online, not really a dating site though some try to use it that way, more of an adult/fetish social media/discussion forum/event coordination website thing. Aside from my photos, he liked the pop culture and cult classic references that were peppered throughout my profile. He got excited that we had similar tastes. Animation like The Maxx and Invader Zim, Hitchhiker's Guide, and I closed out my "about" text with a Monty Python reference:

"We apologize for the faults in this profile. Those responsible have been sacked."

We're both sorta nerds, so...

Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM

296 posts, read 265,760 times
Guys who state: "looking for a woman who won't mind helping a guy who is not too tidy around the house". The visual that comes into my head is straight out of the TV show "Hoarders".

Old 02-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
Guys who state: "looking for a woman who won't mind helping a guy who is not too tidy around the house". The visual that comes into my head is straight out of the TV show "Hoarders".

Woah, is that common?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:52 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
-If they have a picture with their ex-gf (surprisingly I've seen a lot of this)
-If they haven't written anything in their summary
-If they have spelling mistakes or say things like "not looking for anything serious"
-If they have kids

Old 02-22-2018, 10:56 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, if they say I'm not a feminist, I'm out. I couldn't respect a woman that is ok with being a second class citizen, and I can't date someone I can't respect. That's a good one.
I was talking about respect with a friend. She mentioned how some guys just wanted a woman they could walk all over. And I was wondering, well, why would anyone want someone who doesn't respect themselves?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyShark View Post
I was talking about respect with a friend. She mentioned how some guys just wanted a woman they could walk all over. And I was wondering, well, why would anyone want someone who doesn't respect themselves?

I think you're friend is right, lots of people, sadly, want someone they can walk over and/or control.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danica32 View Post
LOL. My husband is not too tidy around the house (not hoarder, just not organized). But he didn't really advertise that in his online dating profile. Come to think of it, I didn't mention my housekeeping aptitude in mine, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships