Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:30 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2017 View Post
Suppose that you told your supervisor that you could no longer hang out with him (lunch, random stuff, etc) mostly because you're very aware that you have a mad crush on him and you also know that it's very one sided (from you to him) and you just want to get over him for good....so you grew a pair and went and told him.

He replies that he has no idea what he did to deserve that but "if this is the kind of relationship that will help you succeed, then ok". How in the heck would you interpret that? Did I make him mad? It was never my intention to hurt him but I just needed to go cold turkey. The more I hung out with him it just kept my hopeless hopes up...if that makes sense.....and I found out he has a girlfriend just recently, so I am doing the right thing and backing the heck off.

So, did I make him mad, or was that sort of like wishing me well but in a condescending way, sort of like "ok, I don't know that I respect you the same anymore but whatever...good luck").....I've been bugged about that statement a little. Thoughts?
It means they understand you have to do this for yourself and will comply to assist you so you may succeed professionally in your workspace.

Like you said, the feelings are one sided. You’re viewing things from your own personal feelings on the matter. They are not invested in you in that way, so the reaction has not followed suit.

It’s done now, leave it alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 01:35 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
"If this is the kind of relationship that will help you succeed..." seems to intimate that he feels you were hinting around in order to start an affair with him, probably to further your career, i.e. sleeping your way to the top (..."relationship that will help you succeed"). And he was/is drastically against that, full stop. It does sound like he has less respect for you now. Live and learn; if this honestly was heartfelt, you know now that you just don't say stuff like this and put someone totally on the spot with his career and with being your supervisor. And OTOH if there WAS an element of playing with him, just no. That is a NO in the workforce, you do not play around with something that could damage someone's career. That's how he eats, OP.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:45 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ;51122034[B
]"If this is the kind of relationship that will help you succeed..." [/b]seems to intimate that he feels you were hinting around in order to start an affair with him, probably to further your career, i.e. sleeping your way to the top (..."relationship that will help you succeed"). And he was/is drastically against that, full stop. It does sound like he has less respect for you now. Live and learn; if this honestly was heartfelt, you know now that you just don't say stuff like this and put someone totally on the spot with his career and with being your supervisor. And OTOH if there WAS an element of playing with him, just no. That is a NO in the workforce, you do not play around with something that could damage someone's career. That's how he eats, OP.
You know, thats the way I read it. Almost as if, hey, I might be able to help you out then..... so........ why not pursue me....

Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
What good would come from telling your supervisor that?

All it will do is create an awkward work environment.

Plus, due to all the sexual harassment accusations out now he's not going to risk his job position for you.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
49ersfan27's right

OP..you should have handled YOUR problem yourself...not try and make it his. You'll no doubt have alienated him because of it.
You shoulda just kept mum.

Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2017 View Post
so I am doing the right thing and backing the heck off.
'K, wait, what? I thought the whole point was you ARE decidedly trying to get past this. IOW, that you would never in a million years intend on actually pursuing this.

But you're asking IF you should back off?

He's right to be suspicious of your motives. This poor guy. He's probably going to get an ulcer over this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships