Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,398,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
For one I don't create anorexic creatures for my vids. they are thin yes, fit and toned but not anorexic.

Note below the one on the right is the type I typically create lean toned and otherwise healthy, turn on the Olympics and you will see female gymnasts,runners and cyclists with similar builds. The one on the left would be what an actual anorexic looks like(and the only anorexic I ever designed to show the difference because I got tired of women calling my models anorexic) someone who does not consume enough calories to feed their muscles.
HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

But anyway liking tatts, punky vs clean cut girls or guys is a matter of personal taste but there are physical traits that transcend.

take the alt-beauty movement, like for instance "suicide girls" take away the piercings, tattoos and wild colored hair and you have the same universal physical traits as traditional models, some woman on youtube called it "punk rock barbie" (though that girl was angry because she felt her scene got invaded once it got trendy and the rich pretty girls started showing up to the clubs she went to).
There are a lot of appealing SGs, but your creations absolutely don't resemble a SG. Zen is right about the meth addict look. They may sport your version of a taut CrossFit bod, but they still look like a hot mess. Also, SGs came in a variety of sizes and shapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,134,510 times
Because while at a glance, people will lean toward a basic set of visual characteristics as "attractiveness," in practice, dozens of other things factor in to make us want to actually be with a person and literally see the person as "beautiful"... let me explain because this is a very real, tangible thing.

Because we live socially/pair up, much more than looks are required for us to want one another for any length of time. And because of this instinctive knowledge, we will literally see as more beautiful, someone who matches up in a number of ways, not just generically vigorous/healthy physical signs - such as, like you said, symmetry, to name one.

If we were an antisocial or less social species, we would hit it and quit it with a much smaller group of the opposite sex for a lifetime, as it just wouldn't matter what that other creature was "like" besides the physical, and signs of vigor. (Some people do live their lives this way, but these are the minority who won't want any long term association for a lifetime, or it can apply for just a period of time. And even then, many people - perhaps slightly more women than men - will need more than a guy just standing there looking a certain way to want to get down, and may in fact want this with a guy who ISN'T conventionally "attractive.")

When we get to know the whole person, that person becomes more and more physically beautiful to us. This is a very real thing. We pick out very individual characteristics to find beautiful. The person's hazel eyes. His sensitive hands. Cute butt. His cute little crooked front tooth. Anything that is uniquely him (or her).

Another thing, which is down to the same reasons, is that we may lean toward people who are like other people we have loved, perhaps even our parents. When we are attracted to these emotional things we will literally see that new person in a more beautiful, more attractive light.

Beauty in humans and other social species is NOT in a practical (rather than cue card) way ultimately universal, and that is not just philosophical, it is literal.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-24-2018 at 11:51 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 11:20 AM

29,798 posts, read 34,614,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
There are a lot of appealing SGs, but your creations absolutely don't resemble a SG. Zen is right about the meth addict look. They may sport your version of a taut CrossFit bod, but they still look like a hot mess. Also, SGs came in a variety of sizes and shapes.
He did mention once that he uses mug shots for inspiration, so...

Old 02-24-2018, 11:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,134,510 times
Oh, to add:

In a broader and more philosophical (and probably then original) meaning, the phrase can apply to a feeling of connection to anyone, or anything, that may not appeal to most people but does to the "beholder."

You may have a car that is an old beater but has a ton of sentimental value for you. Your friends may see you lovingly washing that thing and laugh and use the phrase. Or you may go to an art gallery and pick the absolutely weirdest painting...I don't know...a reds and yellows version of Starry Night with a print of Squidward Tentacles on an surfboard surfing over one of the sky swirls. You will be thrilled and will buy it, take it home and proudly display it but your friends will laugh, shake their heads and say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Why? 'Cause it is.

My sister once had a kitty named Jellybean. God bless it, this little creature was...let me be kind and just say homely. She certainly ate but she just had this scrawny look to her, especially her face. Her lips kind of pulled down...pop-eyes, skinny face...OMG, this creature. And sweet. So very sweet. Gentle, loving. If you cried this cat would come over and touch your face all over with hers. My sister was in love with this cat. Always holding her, stroking her skinny shivery little bat-body. Beauty is in the eyenof the beholder. We all thought Jellybean was ugly but sweet. My sister? She just thought Jellybean was sweet. She never saw the "ugly."

Now I'm crying because I miss Jellybean, LOL.

ETA: I'm sorry, I see these concepts and the art reference were already made. In should have read first.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-24-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 12:03 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,125,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
He did mention once that he uses mug shots for inspiration, so...
Thats not because I find meth heads and crack whores appealing, it's because in mugshots the person is usually looking directly at the camera which makes making a 3D face map easier. Then I can add hair, makeup, pull in or puff out cheeks clear up skin or add freckles add or remove wrinkles etc etc then on to creating the body from scratch.

Even my own avatar was made from an actual photo of me.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:19 PM

235 posts, read 149,572 times
Well since beauty is in the beholder topic, while you've got talent, OP your view of beauty is not my kind of beauty. Tatts, nope, freckles, nope, bald, nope, clothing styles, hell to the N-O! Cool avatars though.... of people I want to avoid, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,810,270 times
Quote:
For one I don't create anorexic creatures for my vids. they are thin yes, fit and toned but not anorexic.
Not really the point.

The point is, to you, this is a beautiful look. To others, less so. Illustrative of "eye of the beholder."

Old 02-24-2018, 12:37 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,125,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowowee View Post
Well since beauty is in the beholder topic, while you've got talent, OP your view of beauty is not my kind of beauty. Tatts, nope, freckles, nope, bald, nope, clothing styles, hell to the N-O! Cool avatars though.... of people I want to avoid, LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
So I suppose this would be more to your liking.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM

102,371 posts, read 108,666,141 times
Quote:
I saw an interesting lecture/film last night it was on the science of attraction but one part was a test where they used 100 4x5 randomly generated cards with women of all shapes, sizes, facial feature, races, etc etc in bikini's and males in speedo's for the female sample group. The people in the group would arrange the photos across a square table left to right working down top left being most attractive, 50 people would get the same random 100 cards to arrange, after the test another 100 cards were generated without any of the previous 100 in the new 100 cards. they did this with several sample groups, and with every iteration of the test for both males and females an average of 10(some more some less) would end up in the top 20 of the majority of the group. admittedly a slightly higher majority for the male test groups, but women still showed a pattern. (what I found interesting is the ones that were viewed as attractive by the widest range for both male and female tended to have a racially ambiguous look I'm surprised that was not mentioned).

But anyway beauty has pretty much been mapped down to a mathematical equation, proportion of features, body parts etc etc.. but people still say " beauty is in the eye of the beholder " even though there are certain physical traits that more people are going to be hard wired to be attracted to.

And yes no matter who you are there is someone who thinks your hot, but if its such a small % of the population it does you no good(unless you get lucky).
Because looking at photos is completely different from meeting people in person, and talking to them, and getting to know them. There have been informal experiments done, where strangers in a room are lined up, male and female lines, and asked to choose a partner. The better-looking ones choose their "peers", and the average ones are left scrambling. This, too, is different from actually meeting people, talking to them. (No words are exchanged in the exercise, no background info known.)

A person's personality definitely influences one's perception of said person, in many, many cases. Sure, there are people who get away with being airheads or jerks, based on their looks. But that's a minority of cases. You can quibble about whether it's a large or small minority, but it's not the overall norm, in any case. Look at all the divorces that happen, OP, when some young guys go for the "hot" classmate or babe they met in a club, only to discover that she's "high maintenance" beyond his capacity to maintain her, or she has major personality issues (the B-word, or mental health issues, or doesn't want to work, even though they need the income), or whatever. Why don't those guys see it coming, during the dating and engagement process? She keeps their little head happy, so the big head atrophies.

Then, some of them, having learned an expensive and miserable lesson, finally start going for the more average women, looking for qualities like kind, thoughtful, honest, sweet, smart/hardworking, whatever, that weren't on their radar before.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:51 PM

102,371 posts, read 108,666,141 times
P.S. You're weird, OP.

Somebody had to say it. Good luck, though. You seem like a good guy, underneath the weirdness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships