Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:33 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
He said he sent texts when he was on his trip...not that he's also sending a bunch of texts while she's on hers.

20 minutes a day to talk to your SO hardly seems like overkill. I'd hate to be in a relationship with some of you people.

Two phone calls a day is excessive. Unless there is child care or home ERs to deal with. Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Two phone calls a day is excessive. Unless there is child care or home ERs to deal with. Seriously.
We're not talking about hour long conversations each time; we're talking 10 minutes: "Hey. Good morning. How'd you sleep? What are your plans for the day?" Then: "Hey. How was your day? Glad you had fun. Sleep well. I love you."

Do you talk to your SO when he/she is at home with you? Then why wouldn't you want to talk to him/her when away?

I mean if that sort of thing works for you and yours, more power to you, but it wouldn't work for me and mine.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:40 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Save one thing that's superficial, I have felt ok about it.
What is this ^^ one thing, OP?

What kind of trip is this that she is on?

Does she normally not have a sense of humor about things?

Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
We're not talking about hour long conversations each time; we're talking 10 minutes: "Hey. Good morning. How'd you sleep? What are your plans for the day?" Then: "Hey. How was your day? Glad you had fun. Sleep well. I love you."

Do you talk to your SO when he/she is at home with you? Then why wouldn't you want to talk to him/her when away?

I mean if that sort of thing works for you and yours, more power to you, but it wouldn't work for me and mine.

Because they're away. Respect the space. Most people I date and have dated don't want to be talking on the phone at all, and vacations are meant to be breaks. That checking in stuff (how was your day) can be a text. It's much less intrusive.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:50 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
The bigger picture is a compatibility issue.

This thread represents the disparity. Some think two phone calls a day is too many; some think it's fine. None of that matters. What matters is that you both generally agree.

The fact that it sounds like you don't, indicates a possibly compatibility issue. Is it a deal breaker? Not necessarily, but you both need to understand the other's needs and find a compromise in there somewhere.

She DID have a chance to provide the standard, "Yes, I've missed you.", but she chose not to do so. That's problematic. At the very least, a conversation is in order to find out if this is just a superficial issue or the uncovering of deeper issues.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:51 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because they're away. Respect the space. Most people I date and have dated don't want to be talking on the phone at all, and vacations are meant to be breaks. That checking in stuff (how was your day) can be a text. It's much less intrusive.
If you need week-long total breaks from a SO, maybe they're not as "significant" as they should be.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Well almost 1 week.

We've dated for about 19 months. I can say we are (or I thought) we were mutually in love and I think there's enough there to make this a lifetime or several years anyway, commitment. Save one thing that's superficial, I have felt ok about it.

Until tonight, but that's why I'm asking if I'm overreacting to this.

I've talked to her, usually twice a day since she's been gone and when I was on my own trip, sent her some text messages to share photos, etc. Usually it was to say good AM and good night.

On the last time I talked with her, I asked, after 5 days away, "Do you miss me?"

She said, "I can't really miss you when you're contacting me frequently".

If you care about someone, isn't that what you're supposed to do? I don't even think twice a day (based on what I saw my parents do) is that frequent anyway. There's no Face Time on any of these calls.

I actually feel insulted with that response. Not exactly one you'd expect from someone who is "in love with you".
Unless you know that she just has that kind of sense of humor, I do think her response was kind of rude. But she just might not be a mushy "I miss you" kind of person, otherwise she would've told you that on her own without you asking her.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
She DID have a chance to provide the standard, "Yes, I've missed you.", but she chose not to do so. That's problematic. At the very least, a conversation is in order to find out if this is just a superficial issue or the uncovering of deeper issues.
Basically

That's why I asked about her sense of humor, OP. If she didn't do the usual, "Miss you like crazy!" reply, was she trying to be funny? It obviously didn't strike you that way.

Was this reply sort of out of the ordinary for her?

Old 02-26-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
If you need week-long total breaks from a SO, maybe they're not as "significant" as they should be.

Or maybe different people are different. I was out with a nature photography group in the Amazon for 2 weeks in January and plenty of those people (most) has SO's back home and we were almost entirely offline. Nothing wrong with that. Just because people are coupled doesn't mean they don't need personal, alone time away from their partner. It's healthy!

Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Well almost 1 week.

We've dated for about 19 months. I can say we are (or I thought) we were mutually in love and I think there's enough there to make this a lifetime or several years anyway, commitment. Save one thing that's superficial, I have felt ok about it.

Until tonight, but that's why I'm asking if I'm overreacting to this.

I've talked to her, usually twice a day since she's been gone and when I was on my own trip, sent her some text messages to share photos, etc. Usually it was to say good AM and good night.

On the last time I talked with her, I asked, after 5 days away, "Do you miss me?"

She said, "I can't really miss you when you're contacting me frequently".

If you care about someone, isn't that what you're supposed to do? I don't even think twice a day (based on what I saw my parents do) is that frequent anyway. There's no Face Time on any of these calls.

I actually feel insulted with that response. Not exactly one you'd expect from someone who is "in love with you".

She's given me no reason to think she's cheating on me and even if she was, I think people in those situations call way more often showing their insecurity than twice a day.

Seems to me this shouldn't be an issue after 18 months of dating.

As far as "she needed her space", well, she never told me that before she left and usually our talks were about 10 minutes average. Still plenty of time for her to enjoy her vacation.

I think it's reasonable to expect a "Yes I miss you, at least physically" after 19 months of dating.
The luxury/responsibility of texting and free long distance phone calls has only been common for about 10-15 years. Chances are that when one of your parents was away for business, that person would call home a couple of times during a week long absence (depending on disposable income). When texting became more common, as a novelty it was perhaps used too often.

I think society is still adjusting to the electronic leash that everyone wears while on vacation or away for business in terms of : how often should that leash be yanked by the party who is away or the party who remains at home. She should have told you that she misses you because you needed to hear that, but instead she said that the two of you are in such regular contact that she hasn't missed you.

Don't make it a thing. Tease her about it when she gets home. Wait to hear from her. When you do hear from her, ask her if she misses you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships