Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Well Jan, you'll be happy then, I managed to bring it up last night, and talk about "plot twist".

I lead her into the topic very softly. Just said, "Hey got a strange e-mail the other day from someone who claims to know you." Explained the general tone of the e-mail and exposed some details. So it ends up apparently she does know the guy, and she confirmed that they did know each other in college.

Here's the plot twist, she claims they NEVER DATED, or were intimate. They were simply "really good friends".

She's really confused by the whole "madly in love" claims, and the Christmas card. She said the reason she stopped talking to him wasn't because he was addicted to anime or video games, etc. She claims he got kicked out of school, and he simply disappeared.

Basically, I'm ready to talk to law enforcement in my area and possibly file a restraining order.

Seriously, this is all a little ****ed up. Don't know what to think right now.
So...did she actually read the letters?

It doesn't sound like it from your story, but wouldn't that be a character's first response? To ask to see the actual documents? And if she did read them, the author should make that more clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 10:52 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Why were you SO WORRIED about talking to her about this?
I dunno if I hear 'worry' so much. If the OP is like me, he prefers to live in the present, and the sudden intrusion of a wacked out situation from the past is not a welcome one.

I personally don't have an identical example in my own life but I know I avoid getting bogged down in drama from the deep past whenever i can.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
what bothers me about this is, he is asking your permission....if you gave him your permission, he has an email to prove that you did and he is not stalking...so, I'm wondering if he's just a good con-artist and has done this before and knows all the ropes....

?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:09 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I dunno if I hear 'worry' so much. If the OP is like me, he prefers to live in the present, and the sudden intrusion of a wacked out situation from the past is not a welcome one.

I personally don't have an identical example in my own life but I know I avoid getting bogged down in drama from the deep past whenever i can.
Yeah, I'm not "scared" or "worried", just want to not introduce garbage into my life right now. Everything is rolling good. Why introduce any potential bumps?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Yeah, I'm not "scared" or "worried", just want to not introduce garbage into my life right now. Everything is rolling good. Why introduce any potential bumps?
Huh??? That is NOT a typical response from someone who has a rock solid marriage. "Everything is rolling good..." sounds like you're basically waiting for the other shoe to drop, like you know about something from before that makes you very nervous about rocking the boat, so to speak. That is not a free and secure way to live.

What I keep picking up overall in this very bizarre tale is a deep insecurity from you about SOMEthing. Most married couples I know would have no problem talking about this with the spouse and in fact would have brought it to their attention immediately. Because you are a team and you want to be sure that everyone on the team is fully aware of potential threats to the team.

Did your wife ask to see the emails? Did you offer? What did she do immediately after your talk?

Old 03-01-2018, 11:13 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

It's just weird that he's not being transparent about these emails when she's the direct subject of these fantasies. She has a right to know that there is delusional guy obsessing about her - for her own safety.

I reiterate - she is the subject of these emails. She is the subject of these fantasies. She is entitled to know.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It's just weird that he's not being transparent about these emails when she's the direct subject of these fantasies. She has a right to know that there is delusional guy obsessing about her - for her own safety.

I reiterate - she is the subject of these emails. She is the subject of these fantasies. She has a right to know.
Absolutely. It's VERY weird.

What comes across, whether this is the case or not, is that he appears MOST worried about his own interests. Whether he is threatened by finding out stuff he doesn't want to know about his wife's sexual history or he is worried that she might leave him for this dude or some other ... his first reaction being to keep it from her is super suspect.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:19 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
another thought,
If in fact the OP doesn't tell his wife, and she finds out, and believe me, I bet this guy, will most certainly tell her, she is really going to be upset...she deserves to know, she's a grown up....

Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Huh??? That is NOT a typical response from someone who has a rock solid marriage. "Everything is rolling good..." sounds like you're basically waiting for the other shoe to drop, like you know about something from before that makes you very nervous about rocking the boat, so to speak. That is not a free and secure way to live.

What I keep picking up overall in this very bizarre tale is a deep insecurity from you about SOMEthing. Most married couples I know would have no problem talking about this with the spouse and in fact would have brought it to their attention immediately. Because you are a team and you want to be sure that everyone on the team is fully aware of potential threats to the team.

Did your wife ask to see the emails? Did you offer? What did she do immediately after your talk?
Geesus.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
another thought,
If in fact the OP doesn't tell his wife, and she finds out, and believe me, I bet this guy, will most certainly tell her, she is really going to be upset...she deserves to know, she's a grown up....
I already told her. She has a completely different recollection of how the relationship went which I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships