Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Watch out for Borderline and Narroccistic Personality Disorders. I had never seen so much drama until I dated a young lady with BPD. Best and worst 90 days of my life.

But as others have said, I learned that I am attracted to some of the elements of these disorders which really got me thinking about myself, former relationships that shared similar elements and my responsibility in the matter.
This is the thing.

Why is there drama?

IMO, it's because people get bored. Both men and women. Let's face it, everyday life is...everyday. So even if we think we NEVER want anything out of the ordinary to happen, or have anything to deal with, sometimes we can discover we were seeking something to shake us up.

Sometimes (not always), when we consistently "experience" drama - we have a hand in it. Please note I did not say always. But OTOH I don't think this underlying situation is entirely uncommon...among men OR women.

Here's a hint: bringing up drama a lot could mean you gravitate toward drama. Generally, people who don't want rollercoaster relationships, who don't need that "excitement," just don't seem to bring this sort of thing up. This isn't 100% iron-clad and again...remember, I'm talking about consistency, or at least a fairly frequent occurrence. When it becomes a pattern...maybe enough that you need to post about it? Who knows...THEN it might just be time to look within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
^^^^THIS. I have to blame myself for my own history of drama queens. For most of my relationships I have picked very good looking women who know they can get away with being high maintenance, and even abusive. I don't do that anymore, and threw the last one out some time ago. I realize now that I made poor choices in women. I also realize, I won't do it again. Yeah, it took decades.
I did the same sort of thing as a very very young woman. "Why can't I find guys who want to commit?" Partially, of course, that was simply because they were fairly young, too. But I took a step back at one point - pretty early on - and thought, "What do all these relationships have in common?" Yup.

Very young people tend to need much more in the way of stimulation, even if it comes from a negative source. Again, generally. It's all part of growing up. But that's the point, most of us grow out of it, or at least grow up enough to know to look within.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I did the same sort of thing as a very very young woman. "Why can't I find guys who want to commit?" Partially, of course, that was simply because they were fairly young, too. But I took a step back at one point - pretty early on - and thought, "What do all these relationships have in common?" Yup.
All I can say of my choices in women, especially the last one is, I AM AN IDIOT. It is totally a reflection of me, and my issues, not there's.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
All I can say of my choices in women, especially the last one is, I AM AN IDIOT. It is totally a reflection of me, and my issues, not there's.
lol! I love your forthrightness. I hope the OP gets the hint from your posts.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:19 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Drama is not a gender-specific issue. I'm a female and I can't stand drama in a relationship. I rejected quite a few guys over the years because they had too much drama and baggage in their lives. I wasn't willing to take that on.

Before anyone goes bashing women as being drama queens, remember that plenty of men seem to enjoy the same attention for the drama they bring to relationships.

Ya beat me to it. I've never met a human being who required such a high degree of constant emotional maintenance as my ex husband. If he didn't get all the attention, all the time, he'd act totally nutso, throwing stuff, saying mean things to everyone, even threatening more extreme violence like suicide or burning the house down. He HAD to have a crisis going on at all times. And he had his substance addictions that created constant drama and stress, not to mention being horribly expensive and making us struggle to meet ends. Asking him for help with any task led to a fight. He was never satisfied with anything.

Making "small issues" into "big issues?" Check.
Bringing stuff to me and demanding I discuss it when I had no time, such as when getting ready for work, or even blowing up my phone while I was AT work? Check.
Playing games? Check.

You think I expect this of "men" just because he did it, and because he's not the only man I've known who generated drama? That's ridiculous.

Once again for those seated in the back: Thinking in absolutes is a good way to be delusional about people and how they work, and often leads to poor outcomes in dealing with others. People is people and some are more functional than others.

Quote:
This is the thing.

Why is there drama?

IMO, it's because people get bored. Both men and women. Let's face it, everyday life is...everyday. So even if we think we NEVER want anything out of the ordinary to happen, or have anything to deal with, sometimes we can discover we were seeking something to shake us up.

Sometimes (not always), when we consistently "experience" drama - we have a hand in it. Please note I did not say always. But OTOH I don't think this underlying situation is entirely uncommon...among men OR women.

Here's a hint: bringing up drama a lot could mean you gravitate toward drama. Generally, people who don't want rollercoaster relationships, who don't need that "excitement," just don't seem to bring this sort of thing up. This isn't 100% iron-clad and again...remember, I'm talking about consistency, or at least a fairly frequent occurrence. When it becomes a pattern...maybe enough that you need to post about it? Who knows...THEN it might just be time to look within.
And ya know, much in the way that we enjoy watching "drama" in TV and movies, I can certainly recognize that I have some appreciation for a certain tolerable level of it in life. Just not in my house. That's part of my whole draw to "community"...I can be supportive to friends, and then leave their drama "out there" just like a grandparent can spoil a grandkid and then send 'em home to Mom & Dad. It stops being in any way fun or interesting or acceptable, when you can't get away from it and have to cope with it every day and it's stressful.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
lol! I love your forthrightness. I hope the OP gets the hint from your posts.
Thank you Mam. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
How many people here have had relationships with no drama whatsoever?

Curious.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:34 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

Curious.
Me. But they were short.

My longest was 25 years, and yes there was drama. When I lost a job. When our kids were born. When our kids were sick. When his father died. When my father got Alzheimers. When he got a concussion playing soccer. When our two best friends eloped without telling us. When we were poor. When we got rich. When we moved.

It was just like a movie...about real life.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post

Curious.
I don't even really know yet what you mean by drama. You said something about not taking no for an answer, no clue what that refers to. No to what? Paris for the weekend? A dinner out? Cheating? A new goldfish? Dressing up as her B and calling her Madam? Getting out of the house very other weekend? Just....no idea there.

If you mean a sedate relationship with the two of you reading the paper together and making carefully neutral commentary, and day after day with absolutely no normal life ups and downs, I actually haven't done that, no.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,521,692 times
Quote:
I don't even really know yet what you mean by drama. You said something about not taking no for an answer, no clue what that refers to. No to what? Paris for the weekend? A dinner out? Cheating? A new goldfish? Dressing up as her B and calling her Madam? Getting out of the house very other weekend? Just....no idea there.

If you mean a sedate relationship with the two of you reading the paper together and making carefully neutral commentary, and day after day with absolutely no normal life ups and downs, I actually haven't done that, no.
Drama means fights, arguments, any kind of disrespect such as the silent treatment, cheating, cutting off sex, etc.

What else would it mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships