Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I wouldn't be with anyone who took politics even the least bit seriously. It's a soap opera and should be treated as such.
Oh How shocking

It does seem to be a Soap Opera at this point, including who is sleeping with who, and all of the scheming that goes along with Soap Opera's; from the back room deals, to who is trying to destroy whom; this is from both sides of the political spectrum.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I am a single, conservative man, but most single women are liberal. Many women won't consider dating a man who is conservative or voted for Trump. This is particularly true in the region where I live and among college-educated women.

Therefore, in order to develop a dating relationship with a woman, I have to keep my political views to myself. Also, I have considered adopting more progressive views because that may help increase the number of women who would consider dating me. However, I have been conservative ever since I have been very young, so it is hard for me to genuinely change my views and opinions on life, even though it may be beneficial for me to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Seriously? Don't change political parties to attract women.

You're a conservative, own it. The right woman (even if she's a liberal) wouldn't care.
I live in the Puget Sound region of Washington, which includes Seattle. This is a very liberal county, and conservative single women virtually do not exist. I have tried dating apps, and almost every woman who expressed a political view expressed the liberal view, except for a few that considered themselves to be very religious, but I am not religious. Therefore, I am no longer looking for someone have resigned myself to remaining single.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I am a single, conservative man, but most single women are liberal. Many women won't consider dating a man who is conservative or voted for Trump. This is particularly true in the region where I live and among college-educated women.

Therefore, in order to develop a dating relationship with a woman, I have to keep my political views to myself. Also, I have considered adopting more progressive views because that may help increase the number of women who would consider dating me. However, I have been conservative ever since I have been very young, so it is hard for me to genuinely change my views and opinions on life, even though it may be beneficial for me to do so.
Even if you give lip service to progressive talking points, that really doesn't affect the values that you hold that inform your personal politics. In short, no matter what you call yourself, if you hold values that correlate to conservative viewpoints, a woman whose values don't line up with that isn't going to be a match, anyway.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Depends on which part we are opposite one. If you are a legitimate fiscal conservative - I do not agree, but those aren’t irreconcilable differences for me. If you are socially conservative and do not care about gay rights, a woman’s right to choose and trans rights, that’s a deal-breaker. If you think systemic racism and systemic inequality is BS - you are out.

My dad historically was a lot more conservative than my mom. On lots of levels. But my dad has become less conservative in more recent years. It didn’t cause issues growing up. My dad used to identify as a Republican (FYI - my parents are black).

Last edited by jade408; 03-25-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Well, it depends on the differences between the parties.

I mean, if he's shaved his head and is in the National Front and she's underground with the Red Brigades... well, the gulf between them is probably insurmountable.

On the other hand, if he's a member of the Judean People's Front and she's a member of the People's Front of Judea, they can probably make that work.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Whether or not I could be married to a political polar opposite .... maybe, maybe not. I don't discuss politics in general much, but I do have strong feelings about certain topics that I get can vocal about. My husband and I do not agree on 100% everything but "politics" is a passion for him; it is not a passion for me (meaning, I do not want to discuss it often, nor do I spend much time reading up on that stuff).

Truthfully, I can't really see myself in a relationship with a political polar opposite, but definitely not with one who's passionate about it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:44 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I tried. I really did. My husband was always a republican and I was always a democrat. I really thought it didn't matter. Turns out it really mattered to him. He was embarrassed when I shared my views in public. He didn't think it was just discussion. He really felt I should cleave to his beliefs. He thought it was important in a marriage for couples to be in agreement. I sure wasn't about to change my political beliefs just based on that. I thought it was weird.

He is now married to a republican. More power to 'em. I'm extremely grateful I got divorced before Obama got elected.

These days I won't even go out for a drink with someone who is a republican. I'd rather be alone for the rest of my life.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If we were polar opposites, values-wise (which is likely to be the case if you are polar opposites, personal politics-wise, as values tend to inform politics).
Disagree.
I have friends all over the political spectrum who share values with me and know people all over the political spectrum whose values I find deplorable (even if they voted for the same guy as me).

It's not values. It's priorities that inform voting.

My dem friends: honest, hard-working, compassionate, volunteer in the community, value family
My 'pub friends: honest, hard-working, compassionate, volunteer in the community, value family

The difference is where they choose to prioritize government involvement in various issues.

To insinuate the 'other side' does not share good values (I would assume they are the better set of values bc you chose them) is vilifying them from the get-go.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I tried. I really did. My husband was always a republican and I was always a democrat. I really thought it didn't matter. Turns out it really mattered to him. He was embarrassed when I shared my views in public. He didn't think it was just discussion. He really felt I should cleave to his beliefs. He thought it was important in a marriage for couples to be in agreement. I sure wasn't about to change my political beliefs just based on that. I thought it was weird.

He is now married to a republican. More power to 'em. I'm extremely grateful I got divorced before Obama got elected.

These days I won't even go out for a drink with someone who is a republican. I'd rather be alone for the rest of my life.
It's not being a republican that is the problem. The fact that he was an ahole was the problem.
Don't put that on all republicans.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times
Ben Shapiro has a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUylteI3ezY&t=28s

Personally, I could never date a Democrat. I can be friends with them, but I won't date one. I live in the best city to avoid dating other Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships