Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times

Advertisements

You can't preach about tolerance, while being intolerant. That's like trying to fit a square block into a round hole.

There is good and bad in every group. I had to come to understand that people who vote for a particular candidate =/= them having the same personality traits of said candidate.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:54 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The problem with this line of thinking is that you are assuming your reasons for disagreeing with something are the same as someone else's reasons for agreeing with it. "This is racist so I am against it" followed with "yes this is racist so I am for it". What monsters!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're proving my point. You're trying to suggest there can be an acceptable reason for supporting something that is racist (or sexist, etc).

You're proving my point and assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for being for it. That they are agreeing with your assessment of it yet choosing to support it anyway.

But hey, whatever justifies your self righteous hatred, right?

Old 03-30-2018, 12:58 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
You're proving my point and assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for being for it. That they are agreeing with your assessment of it yet choosing to support it anyway.

But hey, whatever justifies your self righteous hatred, right?

Again, you're trying to make the argument that there can be an acceptable reason to support it. I mean, if someone is pro, I dunno, nuclear energy, but also pro murder, rape, oppression, and you support nuclear energy, is there some way in your mind that is can be justifiable to support the person because you are also pro nuclear energy? That is straight up, well, warped doesn't even come close to describe that. A person with such thinking wouldn't be a potential partner.

And we aren't talking about personal "assessments" which are really degrees of opinion, but well documented facts, so there is not much room to "assess".

Old 03-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Again, you're trying to make the argument that there can be an acceptable reason to support it.

And we aren't talking about personal "assessments" which are really degrees of opinion, but well documented facts, so there is not much room to "assess".
And again you're assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for supporting it, and that they agree with your...let's try perception? point of view? yet choose to support it anyway.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:04 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Tolerance and intolerance are not limited towards a particular leaning.

Anyone and everyone can be indifferent about something that is not important or trivial in nature to them, however this behavior changes when it is held as a personal importance.

You cannot be “indifferent” to something that hold personal value or interest in it. The reason for something holding any value to you IS what it offers or represents to you.

Nobody who holds personal interest is doing so with indifference. It’s valuable because it has a distinct lack of such.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
And again you're assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for supporting it, and that they agree with your...let's try perception? point of view? yet choose to support it anyway.

No, see, I'm NOT making this assumption. And overall the progressives I know HAVE NOT made this assumption about Trump supporters.

What we have made is that with all those things about Trump that are well documented, that they did NOT PREVENT them from supporting him. Dude straight up mocked a disabled reporter on camera, bragged about sexual assault on tape, and they STILL supported him. That is a fact. They may have supported him for other reasons, their own, but these things did not prevent them from casting that vote. That should be a deal breaker.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
No, see, I'm NOT making this assumption. And overall the progressives I know HAVE NOT made this assumption about Trump supporters.

What we have made is that with all those things about Trump that are well documented, that they did NOT PREVENT them from supporting him. Dude straight up mocked a disabled reporter on camera, bragged about sexual assault on tape, and they STILL supported him. That is a fact. They may have supported him for other reasons, their own, but these things did not prevent them from casting that vote. That should be a deal breaker.
And again you're assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for supporting it, and that they agree with your...let's try conclusion? yet choose to support it anyway.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:

You are not reading what I said. I told you why this statement is incorrect (that no such assumption was made), and explained it in detail. If you don't want to read the explanation, there is no point to this conversation.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:13 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
And again you're assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for supporting it, and that they agree with your...let's try conclusion? yet choose to support it anyway.
So then feel free to explain all the good, tolerant reasons for being in favor of bigotry, xenophobia, homophobia, etc.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You are not reading what I said. I told you why this statement is incorrect (that no such assumption was made), and explained it in detail. If you don't want to read the explanation, there is no point to this conversation.

I read it, but again you're assuming that your reason for being against something is the same as someone else's reason for supporting it, and that they agree with your...let's try conclusion? yet choose to support it anyway. Perhaps you're not fully understanding what I'm saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships