Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That's my aunt and uncle. He's retired military, worked for the Gov his whole life and quite conservative (my dad's brother, the whole family is conservative). His wife is the typical artist, bleeding heart type with deeply liberal leanings. Somehow they've managed a 30+ year long marriage, raising 4 kids and now retirement. I find it funny that their kids, oldest is military, next is in finance, next is in holywood and last is still in school and I don't know her degree but she's Strongly artistic with painting/drawing. They sorta run the whole spectrum and get along well.

They love one another and I've never heard them talk politics. But that's not weird, I don't talk politics with my wife and we're of similar beliefs.

If you were only pay attention to mainstream media and the POC forum here, you'd think that there was no chance a liberal and a conservative could Ever speak to one another without both bursting into flames. But I highly doubt that there are anywhere Near the number of "extremists" as the internet would lead us to believe. Nor do I think the highly toxic people posting in POC have the guts to be that way in person...
Mature people think this way.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:24 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,367,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I feel like it's highly unlikely that, if they have strong enough convictions to actually be politically active/employed/whatever "very high up" means, that this wouldn't bleed over into other areas of life and relationships.

But, hey, people can make anything work, if there is a will to do so. I personally would likely feel like I was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, but not everyone feels the same, obviously.

But I really am skeptical that, if you have particularly strong convictions, it isn't really realistically possible to totally check them at the door.
What she said.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:49 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
What caused you to support a political party is more a question than which party you support when it comes to dating. I as an atheist pro-choice BLACK lives matter support will probably not have much in common with a Christian pro-life BLUE Lives Matter supporter. Just what it is.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:16 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
What caused you to support a political party is more a question than which party you support when it comes to dating. I as an atheist pro-choice BLACK lives matter support will probably not have much in common with a Christian pro-life BLUE Lives Matter supporter. Just what it is.
That's strange to me. I don't live religion, race, and politics. I can tell what color my friends are, but if they talked about church, politics and race a significant amount of the time, we wouldn't be friends. Not interested.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:29 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That's strange to me. I don't live religion, race, and politics. I can tell what color my friends are, but if they talked about church, politics and race a significant amount of the time, we wouldn't be friends. Not interested.
Bingo.

It's okay to have a political opinion. Say it, then move on.

It's so not okay to yap on about politics 24/7. It's not okay to inject it into every conversation. It's not okay to smugly correct the other person if their beliefs don't align 100% with one's own. It's not okay to skewer or judge someone whose beliefs differ from yours.

It's not a matter of politics. It's a matter of just not being a seriously tedious, exhausting individual to be around. Believe it or not, it's entirely possible to have a complete and well-informed set of views, to be conscientious, without having to talk about politics all the time. Trust me. I know people with whom I am almost perfectly aligned from a political standpoint. But I cordially hate being around them because they define everything and everyone through the grotesque prism of politics. Politics corrupts everything it touches, including the souls of those obsessed with it. You find them wanting to shut the hell up, even when you agree with everything they say.

In our hyper-partisan times, there's an entire subculture of the self-important who feel that every conversation, every occasion, is fertile ground for them to correct everyone else. Those people never realize that they are really not respecting the other person. In truth, people derive their political opinions based on what they've experienced and learned in life, the sum total of their experiences, their upbringing, and a host of other factors. So to simply abuse someone else's political beliefs is basically to traduce their lives and how they arrived at that viewpoint in the first place.

In other words, few people give a damn about your hot take on the issue of the day. If I want an op-ed, I'll read it online. I'd much rather hang out with you and talk about a host of other things that, in the end, are far more important.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I wouldn't have much in common with anyone who followed either party's agenda 100%, to me that is lazy thinking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-05-2018, 06:26 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Well that ain’t strange to me. I have no choice BUT to live race (yeah I’m black) and it ain’t going away so whatever. I just could not take up with anyone, romantically or platonically, who even thought it was remotely okay to mock the victim of a situation like a Philando Castile or Freddie Gray in order to cover the blue lives matter agenda. I don’t think about politics the majority of the time but if you are talking about something that could affect my life in a major way, I’m not just gonna shut the up about it, I’m gonna be heard and I don’t care if that gives someone a negative opinion of me, I’m better off without their a#@ in my life anyway.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:34 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,310 times
I don't care, because my life is not defined by politics and tribalism. I just want what's best for me, those I love, and the country I live in, and vote and act accordingly. If someone else wants the same things I do, but thinks they can arrive at the same result with drastically different actions and back it up, then I would welcome that even if I disagree with some/most of them.

If anything I'd be more turned off by someone who has the same politics as me but talks about it 24/7 than someone who has drastically different beliefs than me but has a similar attitude as me towards it.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Politics should be about 2% of who you are. The rest of you should be about music, your job, what you read, what you enjoy, your passions in life, your aspirations, your way of interacting with people, your sense of humor, the way you scorch the sheets with your significant other, and a host of other far more important things.
According to who, you? Nope, you don't get to declare what other people's interests and passions are, and what percentage of themselves they "should" devote to any particular interest any more than I get to say that drinking beer or following soccer or playing the piano "should" be about 2% of what someone is, just because those don't happen to be activities that float my boat.

But politics is a passion for me. I've been politically active, volunteering on campaigns and causes since I was 13 years old. It's an integral part of me, and anyone who thinks that's wrong would obviously not be a good match for me. It's even less relevant if they shared the same political beliefs, if they think that something that matters enormously to me is something that shouldn't matter more than 2% - same way that they wouldn't be a match if they thought reading fiction or listening to music was a waste of time if it took up more than 2% of my interests.

Quote:
So you get to have things that you aren't interested in and it's fine for you to rule out someone as a friend if they happen to have those things as strong interests, but someone who also wants to find that same degree of commonality of interests in things that you happen to not care for is strange?

Bizarre to see that some people think they get to make these choices for themselves about where their own interests lie, yet are so intolerant of those who happen to have different opinions about what they themselves get to choose as their own interests and passions.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Well that ain’t strange to me. I have no choice BUT to live race (yeah I’m black) and it ain’t going away so whatever. I just could not take up with anyone, romantically or platonically, who even thought it was remotely okay to mock the victim of a situation like a Philando Castile or Freddie Gray in order to cover the blue lives matter agenda. I don’t think about politics the majority of the time but if you are talking about something that could affect my life in a major way, I’m not just gonna shut the up about it, I’m gonna be heard and I don’t care if that gives someone a negative opinion of me, I’m better off without their a#@ in my life anyway.
Well that was predictable. It's as easy for me to jump up and down and play the sex card-- "I'm a woman! I have suffered! you don't understand!" The hell I dont, I don't live like THAT either. Go ahead and carry around your colors and indignation, I got other stuff to do that doesn't involve citing cases of abuse of power against other women who were not me. For what?

I don't need anyone to recognize that I'm a woman and have been Treated Unfairly for me to be at peace. I already know that in my head. Im moving forward and I don't need "anyone's **** in my life" either, I don't recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships