Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 AM

6,887 posts, read 7,934,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not being a republican that is the problem. The fact that he was an ahole was the problem.
Don't put that on all republicans.
Oh, good point. I only meant that this particular issue was a significant factor for him in our growing apart. That was the original question.

However, I've had lots of other experiences that lead me to believe that I can't be in a relationship with a republican.

I'm not barring contact with all republicans. Just the ones I meet on Match.com

Old 03-27-2018, 12:33 PM

5,325 posts, read 6,118,168 times
I probably wouldn't date someone who's identity is tied to their political beliefs and they feel as if there part of a side or team where everything on their side is right and everyone on the other side is wrong and evil.

That seems to be what politics has turned into these days..no more thinking through things it seems people are now so hell bent on being on one side and looking at the other side as the enemy that that blindly side with anything their side/team agrees with..

sorry for the rant lol

Old 03-27-2018, 12:49 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,540,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I probably wouldn't date someone who's identity is tied to their political beliefs and they feel as if there part of a side or team where everything on their side is right and everyone on the other side is wrong and evil.

That seems to be what politics has turned into these days..no more thinking through things it seems people are now so hell bent on being on one side and looking at the other side as the enemy that that blindly side with anything their side/team agrees with..

sorry for the rant lol
This really sums it up for me, too. The whole concept that people are who they vote for or the concept that you can make all sorts of assumptions about their character is moronic.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,116,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This really sums it up for me, too. The whole concept that people are who they vote for or the concept that you can make all sorts of assumptions about their character is moronic.

Personally, I find the view that politics doesn't matter, or that who we vote for doesn't reflect our value system, to be moronic.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:13 PM

48,632 posts, read 35,099,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Personally, I find the view that politics doesn't matter, or that who we vote for doesn't reflect our value system, to be moronic.
Has a politician/party ever been someone who completely represents your beliefs? I have never found that to be the case.

For example I was in SF during Dios de la Muerte, my sister and I were all dressed up. We shared a table with 3 people, 1 gay guy, on hetero and a girl from Argentina. We started talking and politics came up, and I mentioned I am Republican. There friendliness slammed shut, you could SEE it. Then I explained why, and that on social issues I do NOT agree with them, etc. and they were fine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-27-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Has a politician/party ever been someone who completely represents your beliefs? I have never found that to be the case.

For example I was in SF during Dios de la Muerte, my sister and I were all dressed up. We shared a table with 3 people, 1 gay guy, on hetero and a girl from Argentina. We started talking and politics came up, and I mentioned I am Republican. There friendliness slammed shut, you could SEE it. Then I explained why, and that on social issues I do NOT agree with them, etc. and they were fine.

Completely? No, but very very close, and OVERWHELMINGLY more than the opposition. As in, I would never ever ever EEEEEVVVEERR vote for the other side, even if the person I am voting for "only" lines up with my value system 95%.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Completely? No, but very very close, and OVERWHELMINGLY more than the opposition. As in, I would never ever ever EEEEEVVVEERR vote for the other side, even if the person I am voting for "only" lines up with my value system 95%.

I've never had a politician or party represent me views over 50%, most of the time less. This is also looking at what they "say" they stand for versus what they actually do.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've never had a politician or party represent me views over 50%, most of the time less. This is also looking at what they "say" they stand for versus what they actually do.

What they do, if they are a good politician, is not going to completely align with what they say or believe, since politics is the art of compromise and one has to vote against one's beliefs at times to achieve another goal (i.e. agreeing to vote for some wasteful military spending to protect the environment in another area). The politicians that firmly "stand their ground" at all turns are the ones destroying the system. If they're not compromising, they're not doing their jobs.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:00 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,786,981 times
Quote:
What they do, if they are a good politician, is not going to completely align with what they say or believe, since politics is the art of compromise and one has to vote against one's beliefs at times to achieve another goal (i.e. agreeing to vote for some wasteful military spending to protect the environment in another area). The politicians that firmly "stand their ground" at all turns are the ones destroying the system. If they're not compromising, they're not doing their jobs.
Your statement above is how a relationship should work between two people also. People firmly “standing their ground” will destroy a relationship. If they aren’t compromising they won’t be a couple.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I agree and disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships