Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
No, that's not who, not even close. You're WAY off base with this.

I will agree that this guy certainly displays traits of being on the autism spectrum of some kind, but NOT a person with Asperger's. They'd be more likely to have the hell scared out of them just by the thought walking up and sitting down next to a woman, especially one they're attracted to, than doing what this guy did. If you knew anything about Asperger's, you would know that those who have it are not (usually) prone to going out of their way to talk to strangers the way this guy did.

I'm speaking from first hand experience here, as a person who has Asperger's, who also has a best friend who has it, as well. It's because of my Asperger's that I had a hard time even approaching women before I turned 30 years old. My best friend, who is afraid of next to nothing, is afraid of approaching women and he's turning 35 next month. He's had two very long term relationships, but has been single for 4 years now. Neither of us would ever walk up to a stranger and ask them to marry us. Neither of us would walk up to a stranger (especially a woman we were attracted to) and say something even close to this, at least not if we were actually serious about it. I would sooner crap my pants before doing that, as would most of the Asperger's people that I know. Now, I have no problems going up to a girl I find attractive and talking to her, but there's no way I would have done anything that this guy did, after she showed no interest. I also wouldn't have approached her if she had headphones on.

Being on the Autism spectrum isn't automatically indicative of being an Aspergian person.
Me either. As someone who often has headphones on, I do not like being interrupted. When someone interrupts me when I have headphones on, he is not going to get the friendliest look (not necessarily the evil eye, but I'm not going to be smiling. When I'm listening to a really interesting track that I like or I am learning something important, the last thing I want is to be interrupted by a yucky looking double chinned hungry eyed pervert), and he better say something really important to me or else he is going to get a rather dismissive tone. And he better not ask me no weird psycho sounding question because I was just given pepper spray.

Imagine that. A man with pepper spray. What is wrong with this picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
One more thing to add to the Asperger's discussion. I have many weird and strange quirks and I'll say a lot of outlandish and goofy things to people at random, but not strangers or people that I don't know well. I'll walk up to a friend or family member and say something odd, but not to a person that I don't really know well, nor a person that I don't know at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Me either. As someone who often has headphones on, I do not like being interrupted. When someone interrupts me when I have headphones on, he is not going to get the friendliest look (not necessarily the evil eye, but I'm not going to be smiling. When I'm listening to a really interesting track that I like or I am learning something important, the last thing I want is to be interrupted by a yucky looking double chinned hungry eyed pervert), and he better say something really important to me or else he is going to get a rather dismissive tone. And he better not ask me no weird psycho sounding question because I was just given pepper spray.

Imagine that. A man with pepper spray. What is wrong with this picture?
I'm not a jerk to someone if they come up to me and talk to me while I have headphones on. I'll usually be friendly back, unless they start to persist or annoy me. Just coming up and saying something to me doesn't get me mad.

I rarely have headphones on in public, unless I'm on a plane.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:10 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
I mean I'm polite to anyone, but I'm not going to be all...

"*GASP* YOU JUST ASKED ME WHAT A DONKEY'S *** LOOKED LIKE?! YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!! C'MERE AND GIVE ME A HUG!!! OHHH RIKI TIKI!!! WE WILL ALWAYS BE TOGETHER!!! NOTHING WILL EVER SEPARATE US!!!"

I'm not even like that with my best friend. Whenever we talk, we stand about 5 feet apart (because that's how she prefers it for us).

And I find her attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships