Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 11:47 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
There were two in her fridge.

Anyway, she called me at lunch saying she's being admitted to the hospital, expects to be in there "for a few days," and is going for a CAT scan.

I feel awful for her and I really do like her, but this is a rollercoaster. I have a legal matter coming up later this week and I'm under enough stress from that until it shakes out. I can't really deal with this rollercoaster and all the family drama right now.
That's what you said 10 pages ago .... and then you started taking her in over night.

Your intent is noble, but you cannot save the world.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:52 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
I have a legal matter coming up later this week and I'm under enough stress from that until it shakes out. I can't really deal with this rollercoaster and all the family drama right now.
Poor you! Shame you have been so helplessly victimized by this family. Hope the sex (or whatever you do with her) is worth it.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Thread of the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
i love the detail about feeding a malnourished, bedridden person dr pepper and chicken fries, lol. Classic. No such thing as ensure in this particular world.
lolz!

Old 03-27-2018, 04:58 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Two of which?

Quote:
There were two in her fridge.

Anyway, she called me at lunch saying she's being admitted to the hospital, expects to be in there "for a few days," and is going for a CAT scan.

I feel awful for her and I really do like her, but this is a rollercoaster. I have a legal matter coming up later this week and I'm under enough stress from that until it shakes out. I can't really deal with this rollercoaster and all the family drama right now.

(This is actually more of an aside to Zentropa, not Serious Conversation)

Hmm, I wonder is that in reference to two Dr. Peppers? Or was that two Ensures in the refrigerator?

Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
My question is whether or not she is helping herself as much as possible. Coming from a family of such dysfunction indicates she is also dysfunctional too (not always, but most of the time).

I find it odd that a doctor would not have prescribed her PT, and her eating habits are atrocious, which is not helping. I'm wondering how much of this is due to her own neglect.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-27-2018, 07:56 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My question is whether or not she is helping herself as much as possible. Coming from a family of such dysfunction indicates she is also dysfunctional too (not always, but most of the time).

I find it odd that a doctor would not have prescribed her PT, and her eating habits are atrocious, which is not helping. I'm wondering how much of this is due to her own neglect.
Her own family believes her to be mentally ill. Who knows what that's about. It's definitely a family sickness.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Her own family believes her to be mentally ill. Who knows what that's about. It's definitely a family sickness.
Exactly.

There is certainly dysfunction that influenced how she approaches problems, and there no doubt is also learned helplessness that arises, especially when a concerned stranger appears.

Her diet of choice, combined with her mobility issues, point to serious health and weight concerns down the line.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
(snip)

As a parent, if you were my adult son or daughter and you were getting overly involved with someone this quickly, and this deeply, (especially someone with severe health issues) I would kick you in the butt! Well, not really but I would strongly, strongly advice you against it.

And, if you were my adult son or daughter, with severe health issues and you were getting overly involved with someone this quickly, and this deeply, I would also kick you in the butt! Well, not really but I would strongly, strongly advice you against it.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:25 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
If I had nothing to do all day I'd clean up the mess and hairballs from the animals around me. It may take longer to get around, but she has all day to reach the nightstand and wipe it off.

This isn't everyone elses' fault, maybe she was raised this way, but she's an adult now. A physically and mentally ill adult. You're too late.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:42 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If I had nothing to do all day I'd clean up the mess and hairballs from the animals around me. It may take longer to get around, but she has all day to reach the nightstand and wipe it off.

This isn't everyone elses' fault, maybe she was raised this way, but she's an adult now. A physically and mentally ill adult. You're too late.
I don't think it is either. Is she doing everything that I think I'd do or that I think she should do in that situation? No, but I've never had a serious medical issue, much less this toxic family dynamic on top of it. She's in a wheelchair, not paralyzed. With that said, nothing goes on in that house but arguing. Sometimes it seems centered on her situation, sometimes it doesn't. It was actually on the back top part of the dresser. She can't easily get into the wheelchair on her own. She's short. I don't know if she could even reach that far back on a large dresser to clean it right. She admits she's a "big baby."

She couldn't even reach the bulbs in the ceiling fan without a stool if she was perfectly healthy. She's too short. They're all taller than her. How long does it take to screw in 2 40W bulbs for an able person?

That's the kind of thing that really ticks me off. Her family has let her room deteriorate. Several dead outlets. Bulbs removed and not replaced for no reason. No fixing of anything. She said dad screwed up the dryer and now they're going to the laundromat because they can't afford a new dryer. I don't understand anyone who wants to live like that. With that said, I think probably 75% of this is out of her control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
As a parent, if you were my adult son or daughter and you were getting overly involved with someone this quickly, and this deeply, (especially someone with severe health issues) I would kick you in the butt! Well, not really but I would strongly, strongly advice you against it.

And, if you were my adult son or daughter, with severe health issues and you were getting overly involved with someone this quickly, and this deeply, I would also kick you in the butt! Well, not really but I would strongly, strongly advice you against it.
Well, she's back in the hospital again. She was vomiting often this morning (occasionally blood) and her dad called the ambulance. They aren't sure exactly what is wrong, but she was dehydrated (surprise!), low potassium, and blood in urine. She was diagnosed with a UTI either last week or the week before, and was prescribed medicine for that. The ER gave her something to stop the vomiting (it did), and she's on a clear liquid diet in prep for an endoscopy tomorrow. She told me the doctors' thinking seems to be that whatever is going on with her stomach could be a cause or a symptom of the low appetite.

Oh, and the hospital gave her two Coke classics with her beef broth and Italian ice that came in the jello lunch sized plastic things. Apparently all that is approved on the "clear liquid diet."

She did do physical therapy after a hospital stay in September for eleven days in an inpatient place. She gave me the place's name and I didn't know it, so I assumed she had no therapy. It went in one ear and out the other. She explained it this evening. I'm getting overwhelmed in some of these details.

She loves these adult coloring books, and I bought some and 160 gel pens from Amazon last week, and we colored them. I know it sounds ridiculous, but she drew silly pictures of me on some scratch paper I ordered that had me dying laughing. I actually liked the coloring. It was a much, much more pleasant time than last night. Her mood was so much better away from mom and grandma. They stopped by for about ten minutes before I got there, but she said mom "had a migraine" and just wanted to go home. Dad never stopped by after she was admitted. Her high school best friend, who lives in Raleigh and just happened to be in town, came by.

I have to get a good night's sleep tomorrow. I may stop by briefly after work tomorrow night. The hospital is close to some restaurants I go to. I get off at 5. I need to be at home, in my bed, watching TV by no later than 8, and asleep by 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships