Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Successful relationships where women out earning male partners?
Totally works 41 50.62%
Works with a lot of effort 21 25.93%
Impossible 11 13.58%
Other - noted in tge thread 8 9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course they're "traditionally masculine" men. ALL the men I know, whose wives are salaried professionals, are in the construction trade. A couple of them are contractors. And the fact that the wife outearns them, has nothing to do with who the "protector" is. Nothing at all.
The quote about masculine men was about stay at home husbands, not contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
One of your links was from 2006, hardly applicable to 2018.
2006 was not the stone age. The internet existed in 2006. Even though it was an old article, it was true in 2006 and true today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 06:12 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Overall, the truth is that it depends on the two people involved in the relationship. Some are happy being a stay at home mom, stay at home dad, some would rather both parties be working (whatever kind of job), etc.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:17 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Overall, the truth is that it depends on the two people involved in the relationship. Some are happy being a stay at home mom, stay at home dad, some would rather both parties be working (whatever kind of job), etc.
How is this so hard to understand. This is the foundation of relationships, families and society. What works for the individuals involved. No scorekeeping needed.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:58 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Since all the men here, myself included, all appear to be upright walkers with nice knuckles I'll be the first to say it. Yeah, some men probably can't handle it. Let's keep it honest here people.
I agree.

Some men are very threatened by powerful women and wouldn't date one.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 AM

849 posts, read 269,788 times
Default Depends

Do you think relationships where women out-earn their partners significantly can work?

After college, in my 20's, dealing with that debt, new job and early in my career and as a woman, my answer, was HELL NO! I remember my mind set back then, my prejudices, and the short answer to your question was a resounding NO.

Fast forward to my marriage at 45 and I out earned my husband by a lot. Our relationship and marriage was never about money, I just had the opportunity to earn more. I resented him for being lazy and not applying himself and that was the problem. But, if he, as a craftsman had tried rather than relied, I would have been fine.

IMHO, it comes down to your age and where you are in life.

Good Luck.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I do find when a man and woman make about the same amount there is more problems than the other way around where one makes about 20% more+ Just like a business partnership you can't have parity, there has to be a boss.

I've had women friends that made more than their spouses and they always seem to be the one making the decisions and it seems to work that way.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,676 times
I earn significantly more than my husband and we are very happily married, almost 23 years. There's no resentment on either of our ends.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
One of your links was from 2006, hardly applicable to 2018. Another is talking about one member of the couple only having a part-time job, which might result in money problems for the couple which is also a key reason for divorce generally. It seems like the third study was “ONCE a woman started to outearn her husband” as opposed to relationships where the woman has outearned from the start. I know several relationships where the woman has always outearned and it has not been a problem. There are plenty of men I know who say they would absolutely be fine making less than their spouse or even staying at home, but they would go into a marriage with that attitude that they will not be the primary breadwinner. This is not even limited to people who are millennials. I have worked with people who are Gen X who had wives who made more than them (I worked in government) and they were all quite happy with the arrangement of having successful wives and dealing with more of the child rearing activities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Exactly. Marital strife comes about when the marriage dynamics change, or when a promise isn't kept. Not because they become uncomfortable with the status quo established at the start. This is common sense.
Both of these point to a thought I was having...expectations. I think that a mistake some make, especially when forming relationships young, is the thinking that "Well, ok, this partner has this fairly problematic trait now, but they're working on it, and it'll get better." Trying to be understanding, when the guy you like is "down on his luck" today, and having some faith he'll get better about stuff tomorrow. Sometimes that could be the case, but sometimes the tiger don't change his stripes. Sometimes he gets mad because his woman expects him to change. Even if what she wants is that he step up and act like as much of an adult as SHE is prepared to do.

And then some men really get all mental, if they don't have a feeling of purpose, that they are providing for their family. Don't know how anyone can be expected to be happy, if a woman is coming home from working and earning, to a guy who is unemployed or underemployed, and he's done nothing around the house all day, and he's in a bad mood on top of that and ready to start fights and cause friction. No one is happy in that situation. And since some percentage of households where the woman is out-earning the man, can be described thusly, I would say that they could account for some statistics, sure.

But to go back to "expectations"...I've found that people far more readily accept what they have a chance to agree to (or not) in the beginning, than if they've been led to believe they will have X, and instead end up with Y.

Personally I need a partner I can respect. He need not make what I make, but he's got to make enough to be in...what, my "lifestyle bracket" I guess?... But that includes so much more than income. It includes life habits, debts, obligations. You can make a lot but still be stretched too thin if you're financially irresponsible. Basically I want a partner I can respect for his adulting skills. Not someone who is fully capable of pulling his own weight, but instead hands me BS excuses and lives as my dependent. And most certainly not an underperforming house-husband, who lets the place be filthy, sits around high, drunk, or gaming all day, and yells at everyone. Nah, if I'm supporting you, the house had better be pristine, the kids had better be happy, and you had better make with the domestic harmony, just like I did during the brief times I was unemployed.

That was what happened at the end of my marriage to my ex. It wasn't that he had no job. We had enough money coming in between my pay and his disability. It was what he did with his days, sitting around self-medicating, bringing sketchy people into our house, and acting like a crazy jerk to everybody, letting the housework go, and acting mad that no one else was doing it...like, dude, if you're not working, it's not on us to do it. It's on YOU. Seemed like without a job to go to, he reverted to acting like a 15 year old boy. And then had the nerve to get mad that I didn't want to have sex with him. Mofo plz.

So yeah, that'll wreck a relationship quick.

Present bf doesn't make as much as me, but it's cool, because he acts like an adult, pays his share, cleans up after himself, and (most importantly perhaps) makes me happy, not miserable, and doesn't drink or smoke weed. At all, let alone all the time. I feel like I have a partner, not another kid, with him.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:37 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,450,158 times
Yes, however it takes someone with the accompanying mindset for it to actually translate properly in to action.

If your preconditions or expectations deviate from something like this, it’s already going against your core values and beliefs.

“money” represents and serves as an analog for opportunity.
“Relationships” are a balance of beliefs and expectations.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
I have two close female friends who are CEOs of mid-sized companies and whose husbands earn substantially less in their jobs. Both marriages have lasted 30+ years and are on solid ground. I also have a female friend who has a high-profile job and makes a boatload of money, and her husband is a stay-at home dad. He maintains the house, inside and out, and works weekends as a church organist. It works for them.

In any marriage, if either partner feels threatened by the other's financial success, then it wasn't a good pairing to begin with.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships