Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Successful relationships where women out earning male partners?
Totally works 41 50.62%
Works with a lot of effort 21 25.93%
Impossible 11 13.58%
Other - noted in tge thread 8 9.88%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

It shouldn't matter at all realistically, what's the difference. As a gay man I think it's a unique perspective, because when I met my husband there was no difference, we were both guys making as much as we could. From our point of view whoever made the most - good for them! Good for us! That's how it should be.

If anything ours was an age thing, which can be similar. He was 24 and already making $88K a year compared to me at 31 only making $64K. I didn't have a problem with it at all, he even asked a few times if the money thing was weird and I burst out laughing - I told him to go make as much as he wants, I wasn't going to be upset. He's still ahead of me $150K to $130K but we're just SO fortunate to have each other and to be so lucky on our salaries, life is too short to get petty on those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 10:31 PM

814 posts, read 760,393 times
I would love to date a high earning woman. I'll be honest and say that I've met very few in my lifetime who wanna dateme though.

And I get a good amount of attention from the opposite sex, maybe a little more than your average guy.

Like if I were to get on match or one of those things were people display their income, every women in my inbox would earn less than I.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:07 AM

323 posts, read 222,239 times
Yes I totally think it could work. It highly depends on their personalities and how comfortable the man is.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:02 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
It can work ONLY IF the man...

- can put aside his male ego & not feel ashamed / immasculated, etc. that his woman makes more than him

- doesn't just kick his feet up either by being a lazy a-hole & let the woman take care of him, which I hope she's smart enough to NEVER do!

- simply does his best to work hard & do what he can to bring in whatever amount of money he makes

- doesn't see everything in life as a d@mn competition & definitely NOT with his partner AT ALL: Who makes more, who gets the job promotion first, who cooks better, who's smarter, who's neater, who drives better, etc., etc., etc.

With my own personal situation, I've made more than my SO before because I have the higher education...(NOT that people w/ higher educations always make more, but they generally do). My SO isn't mad, resentful, bitter, hurt, ashamed, etc. Those thoughts never enter his mind. We work TOGETHER to accomplish a goal.

Many times, he's said to me that he wishes I didn't have to work AT ALL & that if anyone shouldn't work, I deserve not to, etc.

Women need to pick the right kind of respectable, cooperative, even-tempered men, NOT some stupid, stubborn, egomaniacal hotheads who aren't in your corner 200%.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:12 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
No, no matter how much people try to lie and say they do. One person will always hold it over their partner's head that they make more than them.
Perhaps you need to associate with a better class of people.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:24 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
I would love to date a high earning woman. I'll be honest and say that I've met very few in my lifetime who wanna dateme though.

And I get a good amount of attention from the opposite sex, maybe a little more than your average guy.

Like if I were to get on match or one of those things were people display their income, every women in my inbox would earn less than I.
Maybe because the high-earning women don't do OLD, or not the OLD that the plebes use. Just because you don't run into them, doesn't mean they don't exist. They're out there. And some of them are on Match, etc., but don't advertise their salary. Which you shouldn't be doing, either, probably.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I would never put my actual income on online dating. No way Jose.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
It can work ONLY IF the man...

- can put aside his male ego & not feel ashamed / immasculated, etc. that his woman makes more than him

- doesn't just kick his feet up either by being a lazy a-hole & let the woman take care of him, which I hope she's smart enough to NEVER do!

- simply does his best to work hard & do what he can to bring in whatever amount of money he makes

- doesn't see everything in life as a d@mn competition & definitely NOT with his partner AT ALL: Who makes more, who gets the job promotion first, who cooks better, who's smarter, who's neater, who drives better, etc., etc., etc.

With my own personal situation, I've made more than my SO before because I have the higher education...(NOT that people w/ higher educations always make more, but they generally do). My SO isn't mad, resentful, bitter, hurt, ashamed, etc. Those thoughts never enter his mind. We work TOGETHER to accomplish a goal.

Many times, he's said to me that he wishes I didn't have to work AT ALL & that if anyone shouldn't work, I deserve not to, etc.

Women need to pick the right kind of respectable, cooperative, even-tempered men, NOT some stupid, stubborn, egomaniacal hotheads who aren't in your corner 200%.
It’s a two way street though. The woman also has to accept that if the man is comfortable with this and is holding a job then he’s not any less of a man than had he made more money. The typical mantra is that she “wears the pants” in the family and he is some immaculated. This is not a fair label if people wish for true gender neutrality to exist.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:16 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,923,318 times
If people are reasonable adults, yes.

So, for most people it won't work

Old 03-31-2018, 01:04 PM

814 posts, read 760,393 times
That's what it comes down to, most.

Talk to any Psychiatrist and they'll tell you most women aren't comfortable dating men who earn significantly less. Or men who're less educated. Like a women with a master's from a high ranking university isn't usually interest in a man with a two year degree or even a bachelor's from a local uni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships