Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 05:29 PM

615 posts, read 1,374,371 times

Advertisements

I've never had kids, but I have found that most women in my age range have had kids. What do I do, if I want to get married and kids of my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM

17,199 posts, read 57,021,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I've never had kids, but I have found that most women in my age range have had kids. What do I do, if I want to get married and kids of my own?
Take two aspirin and call me in the morning if the urge does not go away overnight.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:52 AM

892 posts, read 1,498,233 times
Quote:
That's one of the things that I've noticed. I'm sure it's not true for _everyone_, but it does at least seem like the overwhelming majority of people that wanted kids have had them by now, at least in my age range. If they hadn't had them by now, they flat out don't want them. Obviously, my own case disproves any argument that it does hold true for everyone. I also have a friend that, much like myself, was essentially a single guy his entire life until he got to 33. Then he met someone that rocked his world, they got married last year after dating for 3 years, and immediately got started on trying to get pregnant, as the concern that she didn't have too many child rearing years left is front and center. They're obviously perfect for each other as well...not at all a case of settling for someone rather than nothing.

All that said, assuming you're in the same age bracket as myself, I definitely feel like we're searching for a tiny needle in a astronomically huge haystack if we were to be shooting for kids of our own. I completely understand people being against raising the kids that aren't their own, though I may see it differently as I had a stepdad that worked out well. Though, on the other hand, his two daughters never really took to my mother well at all over the years, and there is no relationship between them today. To take it a step further, I also have a half sister - same mother, different father, that was around when my own mother and father got together. We never really talked about it, but I got the impression that she and my father never got along either, nor has she clicked with our current step father. So I can see 1st hand how badly it could go as well...as another poster mentioned, the age thing could have an awful lot to do with it. He came into my life when I was around 5 or 6, whereas my sister was already 14 and as I understand it now, already on a full blown rebellious stage.

Old 03-23-2018, 09:55 AM

59 posts, read 32,265 times
Quote:
Date younger women. They're more fertile. How old are you? Even if you're in your 40s dating a girl in her early 20s is absolutely fine.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandman View Post
Date younger women. They're more fertile. How old are you? Even if you're in your 40s dating a girl in her early 20s is absolutely fine.
I've been told this plenty of times. Even now, I have a couple friends that have been trying rather hard to get me hooked up with a mutual 21 year old friend. She's certainly attractive, and is sweet as all get out, but there's also a lot to be said for being in different stages in our lives. She'd be a heck of a fun ride for a short term dating prospect, but certainly not the kind of woman that I'd be looking at as potential long term and marriage.

I've routinely dated women much younger than myself, but I also believe that to be part of my general dissatisfaction in how my life has turned out. Back to that whole point of attempting to chase that proverbial "perfect single guy life"...always doing what society said I should have been doing. Perhaps somewhat ironically, that's the only area of my life that I've ever even considered what "society at large" would expect me to do.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:21 AM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandman View Post
This isn't as common as some people would like to think it is. Most couples are fairly close together in age. There isn't a huge amount of 40 somethings with 20 somethings, does it happen, of course it happens, but in real life, not here on CD it isn't that common. Even here in La La land of southern California you don't see it enough to be super common.

So in other words middle age guys should probably just aim for women a tad closer to their ages if they want more success.

I mean how many woman really want some dude 20 years older? Some do, but most people wanna be fairly matched in age for all of the reasons I've stated on here before.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I mean how many woman really want some dude 20 years older? Some do, but most people wanna be fairly matched in age for all of the reasons I've stated on here before.
In my experience, it seems that those that do either have the so called daddy issues, or are looking for someone with money to blow it on them. I've had several friends that gotten involved with someone significantly younger or older than they are, and none of them ever lasted more than a year.

I know there are some long term relationships like this that do work out long term, but they certainly seem like the exception rather than the rule.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:27 AM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
In my experience, it seems that those that do either have the so called daddy issues, or are looking for someone with money to blow it on them. I've had several friends that gotten involved with someone significantly younger or older than they are, and none of them ever lasted more than a year.

I know there are some long term relationships like this that do work out long term, but they certainly seem like the exception rather than the rule.

Well, I would like to avoid casting aspersions on motive, but whatever. At the end of the day in general most people tend to line up closer in age. My dad had a friend that had a wife that was 25 years younger and it didn't work out because they were both crazy and I doubt age was really a factor with them so who knows how it shakes out.

As to the OP, I doubt most single mothers would have a problem dating a guy that has never had kids, but being I'm not a single mother I couldn't say for sure.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM

I still remember the one that told my mother that she no longer needed to worry about money, because I was her meal ticket in life...being rich and all I think that was the wake up call for me, lol.. Funny thing was that I was one misstep away from being broke..I just had good looking things at the time.

I'm sure I'm over generalizing myself at this point as well, and aside from the little bit of dating someone 20 years younger than myself would likely get me tossed in the pokey , the thought of even dating someone 15 years younger than myself just sounds like a bad time all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships