Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I don’t think women intentionally do this, it just happens to be an added benefit of being a single woman on the dating market.

Women rarely choose where they want to eat anyway. As a single men, you’re going to pay for a crapload of free dinners and other worthless things for women, just accept it.

And when you get married, you’ll be required to buy them even more crap. Make no mistake, women have dumped/divorced men who they feel aren’t treating them like a princess.
Yeah, well, some of us have relayed to you stories of women who said they did it intentionally.

You're right that it's usually the men who choose the eating establishment, which would prevent picky eaters from dating for free dinners, but there are still many women who have motive and opportunity to use the scam. I don't think it's an epidemic or necessarily a growing problem, but it is a problem that people should acknowledge and fight against. It's fueling animosity and defeatism in the dating pool, not unlike catfishing and romance scams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
"She just wanted a free dinner" is the whine of a man who just got jilted.
Is a man's pain funny? Furthermore, I've never heard such a "whine." It's very hard to detect someone's reason for being there, and many of the men who treat women to nice first-date dinners are wealthy and probably feel like they got something of value from having a night out with an attractive woman. But even if many 'victims' don't feel victimized, they are being scammed and nobody should condone the grifting mindset.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Is a man's pain funny? Furthermore, I've never heard such a "whine." It's very hard to detect someone's reason for being there, and many of the men who treat women to nice first-date dinners are wealthy and probably feel like they got something of value from having a night out with an attractive woman. But even if many 'victims' don't feel victimized, they are being scammed and nobody should condone the grifting mindset.
You cannot be "SCAMMED" if you don't invite someone to a dinner date until you get to know them better, and have spent significant time with them. Do drinks/coffee date first. Go play miniature golf. Go for a walk at the mall. Don't spend $100 on a restaurant dinner for a first date. It may not go well. The woman might simply feel that there is no chemistry. That doesn't mean she scammed you.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:57 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
After you eat the dinner just get up and dance... LOL.

I remember there was this serial dinner dater that would meet women online and invite them to fancy restaurants and pick the most expensive items and at the time to pay the bill he would excuse himself to take a call and leave her with the bill.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Fact is, nobody is forced to spend money.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:19 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
You cannot be "SCAMMED" if you don't invite someone to a dinner date until you get to know them better, and have spent significant time with them. Do drinks/coffee date first. Go play miniature golf. Go for a walk at the mall. Don't spend $100 on a restaurant dinner for a first date. It may not go well. The woman might simply feel that there is no chemistry. That doesn't mean she scammed you.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation

It sure is a scam.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Fact is, nobody is forced to spend money.
Scams don't have to involve force... Simply deception.

When a man uses deception to have sex with a women, no one forced her. That's ok then right?

Old 03-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
After you eat the dinner just get up and dance... LOL.

I remember there was this serial dinner dater that would meet women online and invite them to fancy restaurants and pick the most expensive items and at the time to pay the bill he would excuse himself to take a call and leave her with the bill.
In LA right? I think i posted a link earlier.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:12 PM

$100 on dinner and drinks probably isn't way above the norm for a first dinner date in some social circles in NYC, for example. And yes, it is a scam if a woman accepts a dinner date offer like that from a man who hopes for a relationship to develop when she goes in nearly sure she will drop him after the date. I will not dispute that an expensive dinner as first date is an unwise move for many a man, but misjudgment doesn't excuse dishonesty. "I don't like him that way, but he offered to take me to me to Spago" -> the listener needs to object.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:32 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
$100 on dinner and drinks probably isn't way above the norm for a first dinner date in some social circles in NYC, for example. And yes, it is a scam if a woman accepts a dinner date offer like that from a man who hopes for a relationship to develop when she goes in nearly sure she will drop him after the date. I will not dispute that an expensive dinner as first date is an unwise move for many a man, but misjudgment doesn't excuse dishonesty. "I don't like him that way, but he offered to take me to me to Spago" -> the listener needs to object.
How the hell does she know he is hoping for a relationship? Maybe he just wanted company for an evening. Maybe he wanted to be seen with an attractive woman. Maybe he was hoping to get laid and then planned on totally disappearing. Plenty of guys will do that, BTW...up the ante to dinner plus lots of dropped hints about the futire in hopes of a special thank you. Then "I was used! She just wanted a free meal" when she doesn't come across.

There is NOTHING to say a guy who asks a woman for a first date hopes to develop a relationship. And women aren't mind-readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships