Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times

Advertisements

Back when I was dating, I made it a point to make the first few dates for either coffee or lunch. I always tried to pay for my own..even if only coffee. Not only did I think it was unfair to make a man pay for an expensive meal, I also wanted an excuse to be able to make it a very short date if I didn't particularly feel the chemistry.

After a few dates, sometimes it would lead to a nice dinner out. I made it a habit to insist on paying for every other meal. In this day and age, it seems very unfair for the man to be expected to fund all the dates.

I highly recommend the lunch date or the coffee date before investing in expensive dinners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
He seems like a somewhat old school guy who felt obligated to pay. So I assumed he did and they expected him to he probably gave off the "I'm a gentleman" vibe or uses it as a way to differentiate himself in dating.

As for the one who talked about ordering expensive stuff. He decided that was a good time to end the date....so he left a tip (they hadn't ordered, only had waters) and went home.
hahaha, I like him.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:54 PM

91 posts, read 124,664 times
Quote:
So I was having a chat about online dating with someone. And it was really interesting. He said that he had been struggling, because apparently he is meeting a lot of those mythical "I say yes for free dinner" people.

He shared a story of an especially bad date where the woman yelled at him for opening the door and mumbled to herself that she was going to find the most expensive item on the menu.

I definitely knew some people who did try to get on the free dinner train when they were in their early 20s. They out grew it, and it was not super often either. Mostly it became too awkward to have all of those forced dinner convos - no dinner is worth a boring convo. Their time became more valuable.

I became very curious on how he got pegged as the free dinner guy. I don't care about "free dinner" enough to endure a crappy conversation. I'd rather meet first over drinks or coffee so you can cut things short if needed.

My only guess was that his job may have given the impression he was rolling in the dough.

It was an interesting convo to say the least.
I don't know if free dinner girls exist or not, but until I read this post I would've been certain that "angry because he opened the door for me" girls didn't exist.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggzy702 View Post
I don't know if free dinner girls exist or not, but until I read this post I would've been certain that "angry because he opened the door for me" girls didn't exist.
I have definitely heard about this door opening thing before. From male friends too. It happens more often then you would think, but certainly not universal. Of course not all regions have a lot men who open doors either.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Did he tell her why? Or did he just get up and leave??

I can't imagine being infuriated with a date, literally telling him I was going to make him pay a lot of money (apparently for revenge?) but then wanting to eat right in front of the person, I guess....mockingly? Angrily? I can't help but feel there's more to this story. I can't really picture how it all went down. It seems odd...JMO.
Yeah...not to second-guess your friend too harshly, but how is he at reading sarcasm? His date's comment (and the trigger for the comment) almost sounds like the kind of thing someone might say as a joke.

Old 03-22-2018, 03:53 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Exactly, I mean what would have been wrong with saying "I'd love to continue this conversation...I was going to sit down in the cafeteria with my lunch today...care to share a table?"
Great wording!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:03 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
I have definitely heard about this door opening thing before. From male friends too. It happens more often then you would think, but certainly not universal. Of course not all regions have a lot men who open doors either.
I never heard about this before. If I was a man and get punished for trying to be a gentleman, I would then let the door fall into her face and leave ... without her. If she is so independent and strong, she can walk home.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:24 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
He seems like a somewhat old school guy who felt obligated to pay. So I assumed he did and they expected him to he probably gave off the "I'm a gentleman" vibe or uses it as a way to differentiate himself in dating.

As for the one who talked about ordering expensive stuff. He decided that was a good time to end the date....so he left a tip (they hadn't ordered, only had waters) and went home.
He should have ended the date right after her behavior.

Personally, I could never date for dinner, I'm not a tolerant person and it would be torture to sit and talk with someone I don't like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2018, 05:16 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
I offered to go dutch, sometimes paid for the full meal and other times had "gentlemen" insist on paying. These were mostly late 30s+. Considering I lived in the South during much of my dating adventures, it seemed common given the culture. Less so in Nor/So Cal. I had no problem eating expensive dinners alone, so sitting through a boring conversation with the sole purpose of getting a free basic meal was not on my radar. I heard stories, of course.

However, I do have a friend freely admit, publicly even, that she only dated much older (20+ years) men and expected them to pay for dinner, and much else. These men were also loaded. They were fully aware of what they were getting into. She's drop dead gorgeous and arm candy for these men. Mutual arrangement for all parties. Hey, as long as you're upfront so the other person can decide whether to stay or bounce.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
I never asked the person - not wanted in my life very long - if many of those men were years older than her. I would guess the affirmative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships