Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 05:21 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan287 View Post
In 2015, I started dating my current girlfriend. Last year, she broke her neck in a skiing accident and is paralyzed from the shoulders down. She was in the hospital and then a rehab facility for several months and only recently returned home(her parents home). She is dependent on others for almost everything. She had been working as a lawyer prior to her accident. She wants to return to doing that job somehow.

She has told me that she would understand if I want to leave her. I don't want to leave her. I want to marry her, but most people in my life aren't supportive especially my brother and friends. They have straight up told me that I would end being more of a husband than a caregiver.
..I think you meant to say at the end that your friends and family would think you would be more of a caregiver then a husband.
In the end,it's your life and if you love her and this is what you want to do..then you should follow your heart.Just make sure that you know what you will be in for and I feel that that is what your friends and family is trying to tell you.Follow through with your heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 05:49 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
I watched a movie last night that is a true story. Called Breathe (on Prime). The man got an illness that paralyzed him from the neck down, and required him to be on a ventilator all the time. He wanted to die, he wanted his wife to leave him, but she didn't want him to die, didn't want to leave him, none of that.

IDK where his family was, but her family embraced the situation and friends helped as well. She didn't even like it 15 years in when he was really ready to die, things were getting even worse than they already were, but she respected his wish.

I don't think she regretted marrying him at all.

Old 03-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan287 View Post
In 2015, I started dating my current girlfriend. Last year, she broke her neck in a skiing accident and is paralyzed from the shoulders down. She was in the hospital and then a rehab facility for several months and only recently returned home(her parents home). She is dependent on others for almost everything. She had been working as a lawyer prior to her accident. She wants to return to doing that job somehow.

She has told me that she would understand if I want to leave her. I don't want to leave her. I want to marry her, but most people in my life aren't supportive especially my brother and friends. They have straight up told me that I would end being more of a husband than a caregiver.
Proficiency as an attorney is one of the best to have with a disability. There are many things she can still do. My brother is a disabled attorney and one 'gig' was being the owner of a title company that didn't require a lot of actual work of any type. It's a legal requirement that an attorney be the owner or the President or something like that.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:08 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
While I would not "leave her", I would put marriage on the back burner. Wait a year or more and see how thing go.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:14 PM

911 posts, read 262,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan287

She has told me that she would understand if I want to leave her. I don't want to leave her. I want to marry her, but most people in my life aren't supportive especially my brother and friends....
Ahhhh bless your heart!!

I cried when I read your post here..... Alot of ppl would leave someone who got hurt...... You are a true god send to her and YES I think you should go thru with the marriage... I KNOW IN MY HEART YOU ARE THE ONE FOR HER!!

God bless you my friend

Old 03-23-2018, 06:16 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
I cannot really comprehend the scope of the challenges you two would face. All I can add is that I wish you both the very best, no matter what decision you make about marriage. It is a very tough decision.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Proficiency as an attorney is one of the best to have with a disability. There are many things she can still do. My brother is a disabled attorney and one 'gig' was being the owner of a title company that didn't require a lot of actual work of any type. It's a legal requirement that an attorney be the owner or the President or something like that.

Yes, of course she can work as an attorney!

Think of all Stephen Hawking accomplished....

There are multitudes of helpful agencies, transportation, adaptive computers etc. etc. etc.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes, of course she can work as an attorney!

Think of all Stephen Hawking accomplished....

There are multitudes of helpful agencies, transportation, adaptive computers etc. etc. etc.
Excellent example

Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 PM

34 posts, read 30,834 times
If you love her, marry her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships