Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:35 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,487 times

Advertisements

I hear a request for parenting, request for financial dispensation, and a request for equity in this relationship.

First question should be, where do you want this to go, and where does she want this to go? Are you both on the same page relative to the future? Get your stories in order for what happens next. Don't be afraid of a commitment if that's where you need to go. If you are there for s/t, get out now, and work out a child support arrangement for both your kids, and follow through with your commitment.

If you will be with her, learn to be a co-parent to all these children and with her as a partner. I would suggest classes, so the two of your can compromise and engage in team work on addressing the children's needs. She's done this with men there or not, but if you are in for the long haul, you both have to work cooperatively.

These are the children who are going to call you 'Dad' because their fathers are deadbeat. You will be making an investment for their future with your support. As was mentioned, you cannot do to one and not the others. Look at how you will parse out your financial support for all of them.

Equity in the relationship needs to be worked at separately. I would suggest a minister or a trusted person (counselor) to parse out how you make the two of you more of a couple. You will need to find time for yourselves apart doing things together outside of caring for children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 08:14 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,478,233 times
That’s just crazy. How would your girlfriend survive without your support?

Your life might be simpler if you moved out and took your kids with you. Hire a nanny/baby sitter instead.

Your gf can have visitation when the other kids are staying with their respective fathers.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:24 PM

3,428 posts, read 3,349,558 times
Am I understanding this correctly? Your gf has 7 kids, 2 of whom are yours, and now you're asking us "What do I do?" You should have had a serious conversation with her BEFORE you decided to date, let alone get her pregnant! Where are the other kids' father(s)? And why hasn't she gone after them for child support?

Sorry, friend, this is on you.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,232,003 times
Sorry, no sympathy. You knew exactly what you were getting yourself into.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,479,187 times
Probably going to sound like a wuse, but I disagree with these comments saying a young women with 5 kids should be avoided in the dating market. I know too many single moms with several kids in my own family working very hard to keep their household afloat. So, I get a little sensitive to the idea they should be avoided. It's possible that OP had similar sentiment but didn't know the full story or didn't know it wasn't a temporary situation (i.e. the no support from other dads).

Old 04-01-2018, 12:55 AM

534 posts, read 490,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clewis0075 View Post
hi so im currently dating a women with 7 kids which 2 of them are mine and I'm struggling with how much i should be financially supporting her other 5 kids. there fathers get 50/50 custody and don't pay child support and do not help with any financial responsibilities for school or sports or cars or phones or clothes for school or anything in regards to anything that costs money. I'm self employed and make very good money and she does not work she takes care of all the kids needs and appointments every week and honestly i feel like I'm getting taken advantage of by the fathers cause they are solly relying on me or her but her income is from me..we have very different parenteing ideas but mine are always wrong and I'm not sure if I'm supporting to much for her kids and don't know if i should put the money i put into her kids into mine which are the youngest. id really like the fathers to step up and try but every time i ask my gf she gets mad.i don't know what to do
The only thing you can really do is start communicating better.

If your girlfriend gets mad every time you ask "Why do I have to support children that are't mine", then find out the reason she's getting mad. I mean, who cares if she gets mad. The real questions is, Why is she mad?

Does she feel insulted because she thinks you should treat all the kids equally? Does she think of you as the father of all the kids? Is she afraid of the other fathers? Does she feel like they already do enough for child support? (Do they actually take care of the kids 50% of the time, or is it the usual every other weekend and on Tuesdays or whatever?) Is she getting benefits from a social program that would end if she received money from the fathers?

If you allow your girlfriend's getting mad to stall communication and progress, I'd first work on that. Is it better to keep letting things go as they are, so she doesn't get mad, or is it better to stop supporting 5 extra kids who already have fathers, even if she gets mad? Only you can decide what's most important to you.

IMO, she's mad = so what.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:58 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,995,013 times
So you saw a singe mother with 5 kids and multiple fathers and thought it would be a good idea to give her two more?

Old 04-01-2018, 06:30 AM

531 posts, read 385,246 times
Run. Take care of your kids but get away from her.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:33 AM

24,565 posts, read 18,314,501 times
The OP has one post. Why are you people bothering with this thread? It can't possibly be real.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:13 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
It's possible that OP had similar sentiment but didn't know the full story or didn't know it wasn't a temporary situation (i.e. the no support from other dads).
About as possible as winning the powerball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships