Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 02:36 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
I'd ask him if he likes the yoga or the teacher, because if he likes the yoga, the turn-down he is 99% sure to get would make it very awkward to return to the yoga class... just saying....
Precisely! Don't poop where you eat. Whether the OP wants to teach it to their nephew verbally, or let him learn it the hard way, it's on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 03:03 PM

777 posts, read 452,757 times
If the age of consent is 17 or less, let him ask, and keep the confidence. If she accepts, then it's the nephew's battle to have with his parents, not yours. If he gets shot down, don't add an unwanted parental discussion to his disappointment.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It shouldn't be embarrassing to YOU. Yoga teachers get hit on all the time, and she should know how to handle it.

Let him learn the hard way. He probably won't even ask her.
^^this^^ he is at an age where he isnt going to listen to you when his hormones start to talk to him. you can talk till you are blue in the face, and he will still do as he wishes. all you can do is give him the information you have, and be there to pick up the pieces when his world collapses around him. in time he will learn, and with your help you can refine his "game" so that he wins more than he loses.

give him the tools to help him go after what he thinks he wants. dont hold him back.

Old 05-16-2018, 05:29 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
He's 17 and experiencing "the bodily changes and feelings."

It'll pass. This is probably a daily occurrence for her. I'm more than certain nothing is going to happen.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:32 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
^^this^^ he is at an age where he isnt going to listen to you when his hormones start to talk to him. you can talk till you are blue in the face, and he will still do as he wishes. all you can do is give him the information you have, and be there to pick up the pieces when his world collapses around him. in time he will learn, and with your help you can refine his "game" so that he wins more than he loses.

give him the tools to help him go after what he thinks he wants. dont hold him back.
I'm not sure what the bolded passages mean. I think mom (or dad) need to help him refine his selection criteria, so that he at least goes after someone more attainable, though I agree he needs to learn this from experience, on this occasion.But if he's bummed and doesn't take the rejection in stride very well afterwards, then a little talk about general age-appropriateness would be in order. Though you'd think he could figure that out by himself. I guess it's as others have said; his hormones have overruled any sensible thought-processes.

Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure what the bolded passages mean. I think mom (or dad) need to help him refine his selection criteria, so that he at least goes after someone more attainable, though I agree he needs to learn this from experience, on this occasion.But if he's bummed and doesn't take the rejection in stride very well afterwards, then a little talk about general age-appropriateness would be in order. Though you'd think he could figure that out by himself. I guess it's as others have said; his hormones have overruled any sensible thought-processes.
its a matter of helping him gain confidence in himself. if he goes after this woman, and get rejected and dad is telling him, "i told you so", its going to kill any confidence he has in himself.

on the other hand if dad reminds him that she is older than he is, and gives him pointers on how to approach her, even if she rejects him, he doesnt lose his confidence. and he learns at an early age that he needs to refine his game if he wants to get in good with women.

remember eventually those hormones are going to stabilize, and he will have better judgement in his selection process, but until then dad needs to let him go and give him advice on asking a woman out, and not hold him back.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:20 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Telling him he shouldn't do it just makes the forbidden fruit appear all the more sweet. When he realizes it is out of reach, he'll find some low hanging fruit elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships