Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 675,490 times

Advertisements

If it weren't for the 10 yr age difference, I would say go slow and date this fella, but...the age difference also suggest that you are just the young girl kinda fun he needs during this crappy time in his life. I doubt he really takes this seriously. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but I am just thinking from a almost divorced 31 year old male's perspective.

Why is he getting divorced?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
Why is he getting divorced?
And why is the divorce taking so long? If they've been dating a year ...

Old 05-30-2018, 07:25 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datingdummy829 View Post
His marriage was bad from the start and they only got married because she got pregnant. And we've also known each other for around 5 years (been dating 1). We've talked about all of the emotional stuff that comes with the divorce and I'm down to handle it. I'd rather love him and take a chance then never get to experience this.

Thank you to everyone for the advice on how to handle entering the kid's life (he's gonna be in 4th grade). I knew the kid before we started dating so I dont think it will be a big issue. I'll just be a fun friend he can go to
Just because you won't be a bio mom doesn't mean being a fun friend is the answer...and your saying so points to your immaturity.

When you're 21 you believe you can handle everything but you're playing with fire trying to "play house". You're gonna be dad's playmate and maybe the kid's playmate too but you're "transition girl". No need for you to have this kind of baggage at your age - why are you even settling down much less with a guy not even divorced and a kid in tow?

Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Just continue dating him.. you don’t have to play mommy you’re just the gf.

Actually, you may be the rebound. I've seen that pattern many times with male friends who divorced. The first girlfriend after the divorce is not the one they marry.

I would suggest not having too many expectations until after two years has passed.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 5,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just because you won't be a bio mom doesn't mean being a fun friend is the answer...and your saying so points to your immaturity.

When you're 21 you believe you can handle everything but you're playing with fire trying to "play house". You're gonna be dad's playmate and maybe the kid's playmate too but you're "transition girl". No need for you to have this kind of baggage at your age - why are you even settling down much less with a guy not even divorced and a kid in tow?
Okay well I guess you took that the wrong way then. Starting a family is something I really want and I was "planning" (ok you can't really plan relationships but my desired timeline) to start in my mid 20s. It's something I truly want. And this may not be the way I thought it would work out but I've been given the chance to be a part of some amazing peoples' lives and I wouldn't change that for anything. I meant "fun friend" more as being a "cool aunt" type figure. I understand boundaries and would never cross any lines out of respect for my bf, the mom, and the child. All I know is I love and respect every one of them and if it doesn't work out, that's lifes plan. I was just looking for some insight on how to make it go as smoothly as possible. And if you knew him, you would probably do the same. Not in a naive way, but he's only given me reason to stay, and until I'm shown otherwise, the "baggage" is trivial because everyone has a past that affects them in some way.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
People are slack and don't do things in a timely manner lol

Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM

777 posts, read 452,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Hmm....

He was her boss at her old job, and he started exchanging confidences about how bad his marriage was, and now he's in the process of getting a divorce, but they've been "dating" for a year now...

Point blank question.... was he fooling around with you, or even having "just" an emotional affair, prior to filing for divorce?

Because I know from experience, cheaters lie, it's what they do. Of course they're going to tell their affair partner the marriage is terrible - otherwise, what sane person would cheat?

And if they'll cheat with you, they'll cheat on you.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
Hmm....

He was her boss at her old job, and he started exchanging confidences about how bad his marriage was, and now he's in the process of getting a divorce, but they've been "dating" for a year now...

Point blank question.... was he fooling around with you, or even having "just" an emotional affair, prior to filing for divorce?

Because I know from experience, cheaters lie, it's what they do. Of course they're going to tell their affair partner the marriage is terrible - otherwise, what sane person would cheat?

And if they'll cheat with you, they'll cheat on you.
I didn't start seeing him until after they were separated. I was away at college before they were separated. You dont know the whole story and that's okay. It's our life and everyone is in a good place so that's all that should matter. I would never intentionally hurt someone by breaking up their marriage.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:00 PM

1,065 posts, read 596,914 times
Age difference - meh, it's about life experience.

Separations are mandated for a year in some states or some couples pursue this if not mandated. My thinking is we don't marry the day we fall in love nor divorce on the day we decide not to be married. So dating during a separation is okay BUT a separation is meant as a time to reflect about the ending of a family. A boyfriend or girlfriend during that time could be distracting.

HE inpregnated her vs she got pregnant - the later is disrespectful to the child's Mom. Words matter. Both parents should use language that honors each other, and insist that others do the same or not date them.

Both parents should protect the child from further losses by not allowing relationships with new girlfriends or boyfriends. He's already losing an intact family. I think a relationship with his son is off-limits unless you're engaged so as to prevent another potential loss.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:13 AM

888 posts, read 555,102 times
You are not at all mature enough to handle this, and believe me you will not be the one who he settles down with. This guy shouldn't even be dating right now. He is on the rebound. I don't care if they just got married because she was pregnant, you are still a rebound, they were still married. And believe me, you won't just be a " fun friend" for that child. You are 21, you are way too young to be considering settling down never mind in this situation. The fact you have known each other for 5 years means nothing, you do realize that you are barely out of being a teenager? I suspect you won't listen, and a year or so down the road you will be heartbroken. Never mind this boy who now has to deal with not only a divorce but some new woman around taking up his dads time. I am sorry but this man should be focusing on being a dad, not introducing you to his child. And for goodness sakes do not get pregnant thinking you will all blend and be one happy family, it doesn't work that way. The way this child is with you as his dads friend is far different than he would be if you were living there and being a step mom. I suspect we are all wasting our time replying though, you seem to have stars in your eyes thinking this will all be one happy situation. And why a 31 would date a 21 year old is beyond me, you two are in completely different stages in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships