Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:53 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Let me get this straight. You've used an impersonal medium to set up a date, and then surprised by lack of candor, communication and attachment?
The OP made a crucial mistake that since she as a human being dealing with supposedly another human being that she had a reasonable expectation of respect and class regardless of the medium used to communicate. Shame on her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The OP made a crucial mistake that since she as a human being dealing with supposedly another human being that she had a reasonable expectation of respect and class regardless of the medium used to communicate. Shame on her.
Expectations should closely match one's effort in any endeavor. Low effort often equals low.....

Old 06-04-2018, 05:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight. You used an impersonal medium to set up a date, and then, were surprised by lack of candor, communication and attachment?
Let me get this straight, you have presumably never used online dating, so you have zero idea what you are talking about but figure you may as well criticize anyway?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Btw, I know at least a dozen couples off the top of my head who have been happily married for years at this point who met via online dating. If I stopped to think a little longer, it would be at least double that.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Let me get this straight, you have presumably never used online dating, so you have zero idea what you are talking about but figure you may as well criticize anyway?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Btw, I know at least a dozen couples off the top of my head who have been happily married for years at this point who met via online dating. If I stopped to think a little longer, it would be at least double that.
See, this is a problem when you can't see further than your nose. Show me where I said one can't find a mate online? In fact, I'm assuming people who've found success online are the ones who were able to put things in perspective, keep big picture in focus, and understand that during this process there will be plenty of douche bags along the way.

Hey, at least you got one passive aggressive comment in by the end of the day.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Expectations should closely match one's effort in any endeavor. Low effort often equals low.....
Putting a profile of yourself on a public website and then actively communicating with prospects is not a low effort endeavor just because it’s digital.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Putting a profile of yourself on a public website and then actively communicating with prospects is not a low effort endeavor just because it’s digital.
Listen, I don't want to get into the effectiveness of online dating. That wasn't my point.

But to say putting together a profile and having for the most part very shallow interactions (at first) is same as developing relationships in a real world, is fantasy.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

But yes, "most" people on this thread want to be taken out and treated to something fairly expensive on a first date, which I fully believe is the complete wrong approach. First meetings shouldn't cost anyone much, because they're unlikely to lead to a relationship.

Honestly, my first choice would be to do something fun that showcases your personality. But I’m the sort of person that could make conversation with basically anyone and find it fun to get to know someone witg no expectations. Most people do not operate that way so I settle for drinks or coffee. I’d rather do anything else. :P

Old 06-04-2018, 08:32 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I got ditched DURING a date once.

I was 60 at the time and had just started riding my bicycle a lot for exercise and enjoyment. The guy I was "talking" to on Match liked bike riding, too, and we agreed to meet for a Sunday morning bike ride on a local trail, culminating with lunch in the little town at the trail head.

I thoroughly explained that I was a slow rider, didn't have a lot of endurance yet, had an old 3-speed bike, and rode in shorts and a t-shirt, not fancy riding gear. He seemed to be fine with that, said he'd slow down to ride with me.

We met at the trailhead. He had a top-of-the-line racing bike, was all got up in his bike finery, fancy helmet, etc. I, as I indicated, was on a 10-year-old 3-speed, shorts, t-shirt, Walmart helmet. We took off on our ride. It didn't take long to tell he was getting impatient with me, so I suggested he go on ahead as far as he wanted to go and then turn around. I'd turn around when I thought I had gone as far as I could go and still get back on my own power and we'd meet up somewhere along the line or back at the trailhead and have lunch. So he headed off.

That's what *I* did. When I got back to the trailhead, he had never passed me up coming back and his car was gone. There was another route to get back to the trailhead and obviously he had taken that and ditched me. I never heard from him again and I certainly didn't contact him, either.
What a jerk. But definitely red flags when he showed up with all the gear and surely clip-in pedals. At least you got a nice bike ride in.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Quite. If you weren't already my friend I'd friend you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Honestly, my first choice would be to do something fun that showcases your personality. But I’m the sort of person that could make conversation with basically anyone and find it fun to get to know someone witg no expectations. Most people do not operate that way so I settle for drinks or coffee. I’d rather do anything else. :P
I bet you and I are a lot alike. I just had a mind blowing first date, and after I walked my date back to her car on my return trip to the valet I struck up a convo with a couple ladies (or mother and daughter) about some sort of -pedic pillows they were carrying back to their car. I told them the pillows were damned good! They and I shared a 30 second friendship.

I can make a convo anywhere and usually do. I'm not an extrovert. I'm just outgoing and like people. Make it a 30 second friendship or a 20 year friendship, it's all about friendship.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 549 times
Had exactly the same experience. Scheduled a tinder date to meet at a place & a time. I got there, went to message I was there & found out he unmatched us!! If you’re ever in the Washington DC area stay away from Eric, 35, in Arlington VA who works at Carfax!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships