Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:25 PM

30 posts, read 13,969 times

Advertisements

Okay, this may sound weird but it is what it is. I became real cool with a female co-worker who works in a completely different department than myself. I can't even tell how we became so cool with each other, but it happened so naturally that I feel like we've known each other for years upon years.

When we're around one another we always have a great time. I am talking good communication, laughter and everything. We truly enjoy each other's company. When we're together just talking and she walks away her eyes linger much longer than necessary.

We've been out alone on lunch and our time together has been amazing! We are so carefree around each other that it is really refreshing. When she sees me her face beams with excitement.

Check this out, at my job sales rep's have certain numbers that's associated with their name to distinguish what customers belong to specific sales reps. For the past 2 weeks and counting I've been seeing her sales rep code multiple times a day. It is so strange.

I've heard of kindred spirits or soul mates and all of that, but I've never bought into that.

Could it be that we're meant to be with each other?

Moderator note, June 13, 2018. A second thread on this same topic has been merged into this thread. If any posts appear out of order, that is the reason. Before posting a reply to this thread, please go to Post 31 for clarification re: OP's situation.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-13-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAsIce View Post
Okay, this may sound weird but it is what it is. I became real cool with a female co-worker who works in a completely different department than myself. I can't even tell how we became so cool with each other, but it happened so naturally that I feel like we've known each other for years upon years.

When we're around one another we always have a great time. I am talking good communication, laughter and everything. We truly enjoy each other's company. When we're together just talking and she walks away her eyes linger much longer than necessary.

We've been out alone on lunch and our time together has been amazing! We are so carefree around each other that it is really refreshing. When she sees me her face beams with excitement.

Check this out, at my job sales rep's have certain numbers that's associated with their name to distinguish what customers belong to specific sales reps. For the past 2 weeks and counting I've been seeing her sales rep code multiple times a day. It is so strange.

I've heard of kindred spirits or soul mates and all of that, but I've never bought into that.

It means you're into each other. That's all. It's great! But that's it.

Seeing her number multiple times just means you are aware of her number because you like her so you notice it more.

It doesn't really matter if you were made for each other. You're having fun, so ... just keep doing that!

Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
You're old enough to have a have a job you're old enough to know that you and her are two people who dig each other. Nothing more.

Putting labels, like soul mates, on a budding relationship is a horrible idea.. Don't pet the rabbit too hard, Lenny. You might crush it.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Could it be, OP, that, to quote one of our regular posters, you've been "hit with the atom bomb of chemistry"?

Kinda sounds like it. Go to lunch with her a few more times. If things keep going well, you can move on from there.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:25 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You're old enough to have a have a job you're old enough to know that you and her are two people who dig each other. Nothing more.

Putting labels, like soul mates, on a budding relationship is a horrible idea.. Don't pet the rabbit too hard, Lenny. You might crush it.
I see what you did there.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
Just sounds like simple chemistry to me.

No need to add more weight than their really is. Just enjoy.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:29 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:

If what you describe is true, you have definite chemistry.

But please, for the sake of your future sanity, never use the term Soul Mate. It is the equivalent of Mr. Right, Knight in Shining Armor, and any number of other infantile labels. It is the idealization of what is really a flesh and blood person.

Not only does the term smack of Disney movies produced for the enjoyment of five-year-olds, but it also puts an enormous, unrealistic burden on this woman. Soul Mate implies a kind of seamless, stress-free interaction between two people. Yet even the best of relationships will encounter differences of opinion, friction, and the occasional dustup as the two partners try to figure out how to get along.

Heck, when I met my wife, the chemistry was off the charts. The air around us practically crackled with static electricity. The very moment I shook her hand, it was as if a door opened and I only had to step through it. Yet, even in our whirlwind three months of dating before getting engaged, there were things on which we didn't see eye-to-eye.

Today, we've been married 27 years, with one real argument the entire time. We get along in an incredibly easy-going way (The product of two people with good manners and consideration). Yet, I would never claim to be soul mates, because my wife is a human being, not a Grecian statue. She is constantly changing and evolving. There are times we disagree on things. There are times we have different priorities and values that have to be ironed out.

So by all means, proceed with this woman as far and as fast as both wisdom and your company's Employee Handbook allow. But treat her as a living, breathing person with all the flaws, inconsistencies, and weird personal tics that make people interesting, not something you put on a pedestal. In the end, it makes her a better person to be with. And it makes you a better person with whom to share a relationship.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:31 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I read somewhere, and in my case it truly applied, that when you start thinking soulmate thoughts about someone that you should proceed very carefully.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:

DON'T think about soulmates or "meant to be" or apply anything magical to it. It's already magical.

If you start thinking about that stuff, you start having expectations. Don't get me wrong, everyone has expectations: we expect to have some of our stuff catered to, we expect to cater to someone else's stuff once in a while, we expect courtesy, we expect agreed-upon rules to be followed, we expect communication. That's great.

I'm talking about when you start to expect things to happen a certain way because you've got a picture in your mind of "how it was meant to be" and you subconsciously start to expect someone to be "automatic" to the romantic picture, and are disappointed when they don't.

If you two get along that well, just let it be for what it IS, and allow things to develop. Once you expect, you start trying to force things to FIT A PICTURE IN YOUR MIND, and that way lies failure.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban sasquatch View Post
don't think about soulmates or "meant to be" or apply anything magical to it. It's already magical.

If you start thinking about that stuff, you start having expectations. Don't get me wrong, everyone has expectations: We expect to have some of our stuff catered to, we expect to cater to someone else's stuff once in a while, we expect courtesy, we expect agreed-upon rules to be followed, we expect communication. That's great.

I'm talking about when you start to expect things to happen a certain way because you've got a picture in your mind of "how it was meant to be" and you subconsciously start to expect someone to be "automatic" to the romantic picture, and are disappointed when they don't.

If you two get along that well, just let it be for what it is, and allow things to develop. Once you expect, you start trying to force things to fit a picture in your mind, and that way lies failure.
^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships