Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Stainless steel and cubic zirc engagement/wedding ring?
I'm a woman, and I'd be fine with it. 20 42.55%
I'm a woman. I wouldn't be upset, but I'd like something a little more special. 7 14.89%
I'm a woman. I'd be upset, but I'd negotiate for something more special. 4 8.51%
I'm a woman. The relationship probably wouldn't survive this. 3 6.38%
I'm a man, and I'd be fine with it. 12 25.53%
I'm a man. I wouldn't be upset, but I'd like something a little more special. 0 0%
I'm a man. I'd be upset, but I'd negotiate for something more special. 0 0%
I'm a man. The relationship probably wouldn't survive this. 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 12:29 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times

Advertisements

The value does not mean a thing. Expensive rings would only attract attention. I will have a knot in my stomache whenever we go out.

We have juggled the idea of getting a black ring tattoo on our ring finger. It shows lasting commitment, and you wont loose your ring, ever. It is an attention getter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 02:48 AM

609 posts, read 349,743 times
Are you looking for a sugar momma or sugar daddy?

Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
I voted that I’d fine with it, but only because I don’t find rings interesting at all. My husband and I bought two plain wedding bands at a pawn shop for $50 that we used for our 12 people wedding. I would have been disappointed if my then husband-to be-thought that spending serious money on rings was any sort of priority. No matter what our wealth status might have been.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:21 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
When I married I planned that it would be for a lifetime. My husband and I looked at rings and decided together on what we would get. I found a great deal on the perfect diamond (oval, just under a carat), since he was in graduate school and I was working full time I purchased the ring (we had already joined our money & expenses). It cost under $1,000. We were married over 40 years before his recent death. I certainly received far, far more than $25 per year of pleasure out of that ring.

IMHO, figure out how much per year of marriage the ring is worth to you , unless someone was planning on purchasing a ridiculously expensive engagement ring I bet that you will decide that it is worth it (assuming that you like rings).

Old 06-11-2018, 07:28 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,752 times
i mean, i wouldn't care. it's the thought that counts! i would love anykind of ring lol. And to be honest I don't know all the different kinds. I love colored stones best. But I have seen all kinds. To me, the ring isn't important. Like I love jewelry, don't get me wrong but I'd rather spend the money on the wedding or honeymoon. As long as the guy gave it to me and really put his heart into picking it out and wanted to marry me, then that's all that would matter to me

of course, every woman is different. Some want expensive rings. It's a choice thing.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But they’re so sparkly and pretty!
OMG. Sounds very spoiled (I hope that was a joke) Credit Card debt is not sparkly and pretty. Having a good chunk of house down payment is not sparkly but smart. I would not want to marry anyone who spends a lot of money on a ring and the wedding and then we are too broke to buy a house, because we have to pay down the wedding for the next 5 years.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
In 2017, the average cost of an engagement ring in the US is around $3000.

Comparing the cost of an engagement to a mortgage down payment is not being honest. It's more comparable to the cost of a wide screen television, or recreational equipment.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:33 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When I married I planned that it would be for a lifetime. My husband and I looked at rings and decided together on what we would get. I found a great deal on the perfect diamond (oval, just under a carat), since he was in graduate school and I was working full time I purchased the ring (we had already joined our money & expenses). It cost under $1,000. We were married over 40 years before his recent death. I certainly received far, far more than $25 per year of pleasure out of that ring.

IMHO, figure out how much per year of marriage the ring is worth to you , unless someone was planning on purchasing a ridiculously expensive engagement ring I bet that you will decide that it is worth it (assuming that you like rings).
For me, I don't think a ring would be very important, I don't really care all that much. It's the relationship that would count. If anything, I am a little uncomfortable with why the woman has a (engagement) ring, yet the man does not. I don't feel that a ring would be, or should be, necessary to declare relationship status, or to be the manifestation of one's commitment. But, to each his own. I do like to ooo and ah over friends' rings when they are newly engaged, I just don't find it all that critical to my own life or lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:13 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,784 times
Traditionally, the woman was given an engagement ring because the bride's family incurred the expense of the wedding. The ring was given as collateral, in a way.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
In 2017, the average cost of an engagement ring in the US is around $3000.

Comparing the cost of an engagement to a mortgage down payment is not being honest. It's more comparable to the cost of a wide screen television, or recreational equipment.
Good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships