Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 08:08 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for a guy to spend the rest of your life with, nope on this one.

He's basically estranged from his family after the death of his parents.

I like guys who are connected to their families - it's just one more indicator that he's a healthy and happy guy.

Like guys who get along with their bosses and coworkers, and think they're competent. Just one sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 09:56 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
My reply to this would be:

"I sure do understand that. Seems very common these days that family units sort of drift apart, even if once they were quite close. I find that a bit sad sometimes, do you? But I am absolutely focusing on my own future. I sure don't expect anyone to do that for me. Hopes, dreams, projects in the works, and all that good stuff. Curious what kind of vision you have for your own future, if it's not an intrusion to ask. But perhaps that would be easier to discuss over coffee or something?"

...at least if the man seems intriguing enough that you want to meet him.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblueberries View Post
His response was not really, since he and his siblings are on their own with their own families, as with him being single, he's independent and lives on his own.

He went on to say, and I quote:

Quote:
"Each will be taking care of his/her own family so the unity dissolves. That's why I'm looking out for myself, my future, since nobody cares more than I. You should too. You have to secure your own future. Your parents won't be around forever. I hope you understand."
I find this part to be well, preaching to the choir. I agree about preparing for one's future and looking out for oneself, and that's what I'm doing.
You are over-thinking it. You are projecting your insecurity onto him and making a deal out of it.

It just isn't. You are making something out of nothing. Just move on to another subject. Don't reply anything because no reply is necessary. He wasn't sending you a personal message, he was just explaining his philosophy.

Venus, Mars. Make your decisions based upon what he says and your take-away. Date him if you like him, skip him if you don't.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:07 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornblueberries View Post
So I communicated with a guy through a dating site . He told me about his background, that he came from a large family with almost all his siblings being married, his parents passed away years earlier.

He asked me about my family too, so I told him that I came from a big family as well.

To make further small talk, I mentioned that given that his family of origin is large, it must've been nice to get to spend time with his nieces or nephews. I don't know if this is the case, so I'm just assuming.

His response was not really, since he and his siblings are on their own with their own families, as with him being single, he's independent and lives on his own.

He went on to say, and I quote:

" Each will be taking care of his/her own family so the unity dissolves. That's why I'm looking out for myself, my future, since nobody cares more than I. You should too. You have to secure your own future. Your parents won't be around forever. I hope you understand."

I find this part to be well, preaching to the choir. I agree about preparing for one's future and looking out for oneself, and that's what I'm doing.

It just felt like, what did I say that gave him the impression that I'm not preparing for my future, or that I didn't understand what he said?

I guess the fact that I'm posting here means I don't know...What would be a good reply to him?
Maybe he's just a pompous, self-centered ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships