Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 07:00 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
The boyfriend arrived by bus to the OP's residence for their first date, as stated by the OP.
The existence of a bus doesn't equate to a great transit alternative. Either way, there's no need to take offense at the suggestion that her BF isn't taking the initiative to be independent if it doesn't apply to you or the other millions of people in other cities who use transit.

It's a specific situation, and you're trying to apply values that are not relevant to that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 07:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
The existence of a bus doesn't equate to a great transit alternative. Either way, there's no need to take offense at the suggestion that her BF isn't taking the initiative to be independent if it doesn't apply to you or the other millions of people in other cities who use transit.

It's a specific situation, and you're trying to apply values that are not relevant to that situation.
Agreed.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Several people have suggested that you should dump him. I disagree. It sounds like you have a really solid relationship with this guy. If the biggest and/or only problem is the car situation, then you're doing pretty good.

That said, I can understand your frustration. The car situation has dragged on for too long.

I think you need to just talk to him about it. I realize that you said you've already done that, but it seems like nothing changed. I also realize that you don't want to nag him. This is where it gets tricky -- figuring out how to get your point across without nagging him or ruining your relationship. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, but try to keep in mind the first paragraph of this post.
Agreed, thank you.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:53 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,545 times
Time to say bye bye...

He is taking advantage... and being nice, giving massages, etc. can also be yours by a guy who has it together and has a car!

I don’t see solid relationship... he prefers to take the bus ?!? Is he a new age hippie? Does anyone do that anymore unless they live in NYC or DC or a city where taking public transport is a snap?

Bad credit?! I smell future troubles, darlin.

You deserve THE BEST. And it usually arrives to pick you up for dates especially on your birthday, in a car, has a decent job and decent credit. Financially secure is important.

All the othe fluff - we get along, he gives me massages, blah blah blah.... is fluff. You posted here looking for confirmation that it was time. It is.

Old 06-10-2018, 07:58 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I don't feel that way when he helps me around the house, helps me save money and gives me massages after a long day. I only drive when it involves us.
Well it sounds like there is give and take in your relationship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2018, 08:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Ehhhh....

The moral of this thread: Figure it out on your own. Decide what you will and won't put up with. Take the good with the "bad." I guess. Doesn't look like this "issue" is going to be resolved anytime soon.

Is the vibe I'm getting.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
That's exactly what it is. I find myself looking at other things like career goals, his choice of friends and I even find myself pushing him to set goals etc. I like to bring him around my friends as they're more progressive. I tell him he needs to expand his circle. Ugh just written this all out drains me.
I find posts like this ironic. The men who struggle to be independent sometimes have too easy of an avenue to "get the girl". By contrast, over in Silicon Valley you can find well-educated, high-paid engineers with cars who can't even find a wife because they grossly outnumber the women. On a smaller scale, the same thing happens in "Menver" (or Denver) - more so in Boulder, CO. Just move over there and meet the high-paid, successful engineers. The guy you talk about sounds like a slacker who through some dumb luck manages to "get the girl" but can't even get a car. Can you imagine the other options for dating in a place like Silicon Valley or Menver? There are plenty of guys in Denver or Boulder who drive nice SUVs and trucks that are built for highways and off-road terrain on the Rocky Mountains. A lot of them struggle finding dates because they outnumber the women. In Silicon Valley, it's even worse.
Silicon Valley's tech elite are having trouble finding love using dating apps - Business Insider

Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I find posts like this ironic. The men who struggle to be independent sometimes have too easy of an avenue to "get the girl". By contrast, over in Silicon Valley you can find well-educated, high-paid engineers with cars who can't even find a wife because they grossly outnumber the women. On a smaller scale, the same thing happens in "Menver" (or Denver) - more so in Boulder, CO. Just move over there and meet the high-paid, successful engineers. The guy you talk about sounds like a slacker who through some dumb luck manages to "get the girl" but can't even get a car. Can you imagine the other options for dating in a place like Silicon Valley or Menver? There are plenty of guys in Denver or Boulder who drive nice SUVs and trucks that are built for highways and off-road terrain on the Rocky Mountains. A lot of them struggle finding dates because they outnumber the women. In Silicon Valley, it's even worse.
Silicon Valley's tech elite are having trouble finding love using dating apps - Business Insider
That's not why the guys in SV can't find a partner. According to your article,
Quote:
women report feeling turned off by the strange or egotistical men the tech industry can attract.
Also, I can tell you, from the experience of my own younger relatives working in SV, that one reason the guys supposedly can't find a partner is that they're too busy swiping on the apps, instead of socializing with the women working in other departments in their own organizations. The guys aren't talking to the women they see around their work environment on.a regular basis, or at the conferences they attend. Some of these guys seem poorly socialized, and don't know how to relate to women. Look at the scandals that have blown sky-high at places like Uber. Some of the SV guys are not at all friendly or well-disposed toward women.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not why the guys in SV can't find a partner. According to your article,

Also, I can tell you, from the experience of my own younger relatives working in SV, that one reason the guys supposedly can't find a partner is that they're too busy swiping on the apps, instead of socializing with the women working in other departments in their own organizations. The guys aren't talking to the women they see around their work environment on.a regular basis, or at the conferences they attend. Some of these guys seem poorly socialized, and don't know how to relate to women. Look at the scandals that have blown sky-high at places like Uber. Some of the SV guys are not at all friendly or well-disposed toward women.
I work in tech and this is very true. There's a small percentage that are relationship material but overall I do not find myself attracted to "techies".

Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 PM

24,625 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Ehhhh....

The moral of this thread: Figure it out on your own. Decide what you will and won't put up with. Take the good with the "bad." I guess. Doesn't look like this "issue" is going to be resolved anytime soon.

Is the vibe I'm getting.

Good post and agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships