Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:54 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,240,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Added you? I dont think Facebook works that way? You have to either accept or decline a friend request?
Facebook is dying anyway and no one truly uses it to date. All that "mutual friends" "people you might know" thing is crap.

Think OP is a day late & a dollar short on finding people on FB. No one is bombarded with requests and messages. And a random message from a guy? Just no.

And do not show up at a woman's house for a garage sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 03:01 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,855,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Since I've taken a break from online dating. I then discovered the "people you may know" or "suggested friends" list that pops up from time to time.

They usually are there because you share some mutual friends on Facebook. I figured that using that as a resource to get to know some ladies where we share a few mutual friends as a reason to break the ice.

Good idea, bad idea? I be like, "Hey, I see we share 5 friends on Facebook, small world!"
I kind of had this happen to me. A woman who I had never met before friended me on Facebook. We had lots of mutual friends because we are in the same social group. She has over 1,000 FB friends so I’m assuming she just randomly friends a lot of the people who show up in her “suggested friends” list, which I guess I did (also, I only accepted her friend request because she was attractive AND we had a lot of mutual friends...obviously you never accept a friend request from a complete random person with no mutual friends). Anyways, she’s pretty attractive and since she randomly friended me, I just sent her a generic message, “hey I see you’re in XYZ group and we know a lot of the same people...” We exchanged a few messages and she eventually gave me her number, and we met up a few times and have run into each other in our social group. She is always super busy, so it didn’t amount to anything, but we are now friends.

In that scenario, she opened the door by friending me first, and we had so many mutual friends that it was easy and not awkward to message her. I have never just randomly messaged a woman that I’ve never met before (especially if there are no mutual friends) as they would probably consider that “creepy” (whatever that buzzword means now). If there are no mutual friends, I agree that it is “creepy” for a girl or guy to message someone, but if there are mutual friends and you find a lady really attractive, it’s worth a shot; at least you have a starting point.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:09 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,031,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I kind of had this happen to me. A woman who I had never met before friended me on Facebook. We had lots of mutual friends because we are in the same social group. She has over 1,000 FB friends so I’m assuming she just randomly friends a lot of the people who show up in her “suggested friends” list, which I guess I did (also, I only accepted her friend request because she was attractive AND we had a lot of mutual friends...obviously you never accept a friend request from a complete random person with no mutual friends). Anyways, she’s pretty attractive and since she randomly friended me, I just sent her a generic message, “hey I see you’re in XYZ group and we know a lot of the same people...” We exchanged a few messages and she eventually gave me her number, and we met up a few times and have run into each other in our social group. She is always super busy, so it didn’t amount to anything, but we are now friends.

In that scenario, she opened the door by friending me first, and we had so many mutual friends that it was easy and not awkward to message her. I have never just randomly messaged a woman that I’ve never met before (especially if there are no mutual friends) as they would probably consider that “creepy” (whatever that buzzword means now). If there are no mutual friends, I agree that it is “creepy” for a girl or guy to message someone, but if there are mutual friends and you find a lady really attractive, it’s worth a shot; at least you have a starting point.
Good points, and the only women that would initially friend me were just fake, foreign scammers. lol

Old 06-15-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Absolutely not! Usually it's mutual acquaintances, people I've met but scarcely know. And I'm not interested. I sure as hell am not going to "friend" someone I've met through another acquaintance! The less people know your business, the better!
Well, that all depends on what you put out there on Facebook. The less, the better. ;-)

Old 07-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Question Guys, do you reach out to mutual FB friends?

Gentleman. I was wondering, depending on the nature of the connection you have with your friends on Facebook.

If you see a lady of your interest, and it says, "Single" on her FB profile and let's say you both share like 5 or 6 friends on FB through various mutual interests and hobbies, would you attempt to make contact with her, introducing yourself as mutual friend of said same mutual friend?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,920,441 times
Why would I do so?

Old 07-26-2018, 03:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,919,389 times
No

If anything, I might say something to the mutual friend.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM

15,066 posts, read 10,083,448 times
Nah.... but it might be worth organizing a gathering that including your mutual friend and said lady.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM

6,552 posts, read 8,376,226 times
I imagine you’ll get the same responses to this question as you did in your other thread about mutual friends.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...d-friends.html

Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 PM

48,510 posts, read 34,783,425 times
Duplicate thread topics merged.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships