Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
There's a difference between "Friends" and "Friends first".

No, there really isn't. Not in my book. I've never had a friendship (outside of high school when we're all inexperienced scared kids) become a romantic relationship in my life. And making a "friend" to determine if their compatible for dating isn't a real friendship in my book, as friendships don't have agendas.

You actually have more information about a person with online dating than how most romances I've experienced, or see, before they start as you've seen a profile and chatted awhile. That's a bunch more info than meeting at a concert or party and starting to date when having no information at all. Which is one reason OLD can be so much more successful, you can screen out people early on and not find out about some critical things 4 dates in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 07:16 AM

1,178 posts, read 685,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
No, there really isn't. Not in my book. I've never had a friendship (outside of high school when we're all inexperienced scared kids) become a romantic relationship in my life. And making a "friend" to determine if their compatible for dating isn't a real friendship in my book, as friendships don't have agendas.
There is. Friends is code for “this will never happen.” Friends first is exactly ehat it sounds like. We are evaluating the other for a serious relationship, but we are not jumping in with both feet right away.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
There is. Friends is code for “this will never happen.” Friends first is exactly ehat it sounds like. We are evaluating the other for a serious relationship, but we are not jumping in with both feet right away.

Dating isn't jumping in to a serious relationship with both feet. It is spending time with someone to ascertain romantic compatibility. It can be a long and slow process.

This sounds like living scared to me. People wanting dating, but doing it half azzed. No thanks. If a person wants to be friends, fine, but we're just going to be friends. It won't become dating.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
I've only said anything about "friends first, and see how it goes" to the guy who was already talking to me like I was his gf. I should've followed my instincts and declined altogether.

OP- If you're getting this a lot, do you think you may be coming on too strong, or talking about sex, maybe innuendos that you should save til you know them better?

Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
This sounds like living scared to me. People wanting dating, but doing it half azzed. No thanks. If a person wants to be friends, fine, but we're just going to be friends. It won't become dating.
This sounds like one-upmanship to me.

"OK, you want to be my friend but not date me? Fine, but you'll never get any of THIS ...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
OP- If you're getting this a lot, do you think you may be coming on too strong, or talking about sex, maybe innuendos that you should save til you know them better?
I feel this this ^^ is a distinct possibility.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This sounds like one-upmanship to me.

"OK, you want to be my friend but not date me? Fine, but you'll never get any of THIS ...."

It has nothing to do with one upping anyone. If a person is a friend, I'm not going to date them. I don't date friends or even friends of friends.

If a person wants to date and I want to date them, we go on dates.

It's really pretty simple.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with one upping anyone. If a person is a friend, I'm not going to date them. I don't date friends or even friends of friends.

It's really pretty simple.
So you know immediately upon meeting a stranger if she falls into the "friend" or "date" category??

Old 06-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So you know immediately upon meeting a stranger if fall into the "friend" or "date" category??

A "stranger" from where? How? What type of meeting? What type of interaction did we have? With OLD, which is how I meet the VAST majority of dates, we are meeting to determine if we want to have a date. If we meet and determine we do not, but we may want to be friends, we go down that path. If we meet and determine we want to have a date, we have a date. It's quite simple and straightforward and pretty clear for most people.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:04 AM

11,794 posts, read 12,027,255 times
Quote:

Yes, that is what dating is. It's false to say as friends first when you're not even friends. Dating is getting to know someone and determining if you see romantic potential, only friendship, or nothing at all.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Yes, that is what dating is. It's false to say as friends first when you're not even friends. Dating is getting to know someone and determining if you see romantic potential, only friendship, or nothing at all.

Exactly. If we have dates and aren't feeling the romantic potential, then it ends. It may be suitable for a friendship, or not. People like to toss around the term "friend" willy nilly, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships