Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 09:01 AM

5,321 posts, read 6,098,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Assuming OP is a real person, it sounds like his "friend" is trying to date women who're too attractive for him.

What would make sense, would be for him to date women who're at his own level of attractiveness (or below his level).

Or, he could become more attractive. He could hire a personal trainer, spend two hours a day exercising, and vacation in places where steroids are legal (the added bonus of such vacation spots, is that he might find many inexpensive young women who will "love him long time"). He could optimize his diet, and stop consuming destructive substances (drugs, cigs, booze, SUGAR...).

Aside from developing a better body, he could look in the mirror. The things men currently are doing, which render them "ugly" are:

Wearing "Hipster Glasses". Ugly glasses are fashionable. But they also make you UGLY.

Having greasy up-do hairdos. Looking like you stepped out of a "cool" 1940s cartoon, may make you look "cool". But it can also make you UGLY.

Wearing "skinny jeans". Again, they're the current fashion. But they make your pelvis look wide, unless you're built unbelievably well. A wide pelvis is a FEMALE GENDER SIGNAL. So, unless you're after women who'd actually prefer other women, you've lost the race, right out of the gate.

I realize that all of the above, are things which Millennials/Z/Y do, to distance themselves as a generation, from their parents and grandparents (who, they have been taught by the Current Reigning Orthodoxy, are old and wrong and evil and basically nonhuman). So, they adopt looks which older (therefore "wrong") people find repulsive. But AT WHAT PRICE?

Early Twentieth Century "looks" for men, were developed, intentionally (by military strategists working with religious leaders), to make men as physically repulsive as possible. Simultaneously, women were made to look as luscious and sexual as possible. This was because men, in droves, were turning to each other for sexual release. Churches needed to fill pews. Factories needed wage slaves for their assembly lines. Landlords needed tenants. Warmongers needed an endless supply of boys to send to their ever-so-profitable wars. BREED, BREED, BREED, was the cry of the greedy. And forcing young men into the arms of young women (by making men unattractive to each other), seemed to be the prescription for producing bumper crops of churchgoers and cannon fodder. Again, the pomaded, shaved, asexually-dressed man of the Early Twentieth Century, was the result of social engineering - a well-considered campaign to force ALL men into heterosexuality (by making men repulsive, and women desirable). Maybe OP's friend has chosen packaging strategies originally INTENDED to make men ugly.

There are other cosmetic kisses-of-death, like over-shaped beards (particularly chinstraps, and beards shaved too far up the neck - or shaved too far down from the cheekbone). Many men cannot wear short-sleeved teeshirts (but do). You have to have wide shoulders and good bodyfat patterns (and big arms) to look decent in a short-sleeved tee. Many men wear "dress shirts" with short sleeves. Again, you have to have great shoulders and arms, for this to look anything but pitiful. Many men wear shiny black shoes with bluejeans (this only works for over-70 Eurotrash socialites, and men who live in South America - and it's UGLY, even on them).
My god isn’t it exhausting to be that picky and meticulous about every detail? Lol As far as the league thing why does it have to be absolute?

If you had a amazing connection with a average looking guy you were better looking then who wasn’t bad looking just not on your level would you not give him a chance just because you can get somebody better looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,344,831 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ScvoMvBK8

I think we should dub this thread "United We Stand" since it's doing so much to bring us together.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post

If you had a amazing connection with a average looking guy you were better looking then who wasn’t bad looking just not on your level would you not give him a chance just because you can get somebody better looking?
This is what I was thinking. Why walk away from a guy you had a great connection with, just because he's average in appearance? How many super-good-looking guys would you have to sift through, to find one with a compatible personality and interests, after you turned down the great-but-average guy? Why subject yourself to that exhausting process, if a perfectly compatible candidate were available and interested?

Old 06-15-2018, 09:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is what I was thinking. Why walk away from a guy you had a great connection with, just because he's average in appearance? How many super-good-looking guys would you have to sift through, to find one with a compatible personality and interests, after you turned down the great-but-average guy? Why subject yourself to that exhausting process, if a perfectly compatible candidate were available and interested?

I didn't see where anyone suggested walking away from a great connection because of looks. It's about finding a connection in the first place. Given the choice between trying to get dates from a group of relatively more attractive persons versus a group of lesser attractive persons, you're more likely to get dates from the lesser attractive group and find that connection in the first place.

In fact, it seems "Gloria" is advising the "friend" to not be so looks-oriented as he obviously knows nothing about the "personality" of these girlfriends he is seeking to be set up with.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I get not being able to be with someone you find unattractive iam the same way (but I have a pretty diverse taste and as long as I don’t find the person plain unattractive I could make it work) but some people on here seem so rigid and robotic with their preferences that love and a connection seem to be the furthest things down on the list. Maybe it’s about status i don’t know...

They’res a thread on women commenting how they wouldn’t give a guy a second date if he’s wearing shoes they don’t like lol that’s crazy to me..

I totally get preferences but when it’s so rigid and robotic it seems weird to me like you’re taking the humanity and soul out of getting to know people...

Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
I totally get preferences but when it’s so rigid and robotic it seems weird to me like you’re taking the humanity and soul out of getting to know people...

Yup, we see it all the time. Personally, I think it is largely two things:

1) A lot of people lack any real depth.
2) A lot of people are very protectionist by nature. They set up walls or hurdles to connecting with others, while claiming they do want to connect with others, in order to prevent getting hurt. If they don't connect and start feeling, they don't ever get hurt.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yup, we see it all the time. Personally, I think it is largely two things:

1) A lot of people lack any real depth.
2) A lot of people are very protectionist by nature. They set up walls or hurdles to connecting with others, while claiming they do want to connect with others, in order to prevent getting hurt. If they don't connect and start feeling, they don't ever get hurt.
Good points..I also think a lot of people are just full of themselves..

This social media and old world has inflated a lot of egos and made people into just stats..

Old 06-17-2018, 08:11 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,209 times
I remember when I was in middle school.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Your gf sounds like a true winner

Old 06-17-2018, 09:06 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,300,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1982 View Post
I love all these people here in their high horse who apparently never have judged anyone’s looks and never said anything negative about them

Don’t throw stones in a well you know
I haven't done this cause I'm not a shallow a**hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships