Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 02:52 PM

410 posts, read 343,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Because I live in a very rural area, about an hour from the closest town. I go to town once every couple weeks to go shopping otherwise I'm at home working on my ranch. It got pretty hot today (94) so I came inside.

I don't drink and am not fond of crowds so I don't frequent bars or other hang outs. When I have free time I hike in the mountains, go 4 wheeling, ride my motorcycle, and do other activities where it is not likely to meet single women.

I have no problem talking to women in person. It is just that I don't run into many and I guess it is just not a high enough priority for me to go seeking them out when I have so many other things to do.

I get a lot of stuff from Amazon because they deliver to my door. When I need to find stuff I jump on the internet to find it. I figured OLD is kind of like Amazon or dating!

I don't have a lot of friends in the area and the ones I do have don't have any single woman friends my age.

I am 61, retired, financially secure, very active, a builder (was a GC) and mechanic (I build hot rods), a volunteer firefighter/EMT in good shape (5'10"/175#s). I think I have a lot to offer but apparently not!

Sounds to me like you have much to offer. If you were on the east coast, I'd be interested!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:58 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Plenty would be ok with being an hour or more out of town, for the right guy. A nice, quiet peaceful ranch? Are you KIDDING?! At the foot of snowcapped mountains, within a fairly easy drive of Tahoe? Some people would kill for that.

I love my property. My land backs up to BLM land so I have unobstructed views of the mountains. The one directly behind me 9,500 elevation. From the top you can see my house and the whole valley.

Here is the snow capped mountain. A sunrise front yard view. Some local traffic clogging up the roads. A little local wildlife. And that little lake up the hill from me.

I'd think there would be some women out there that wouldn't living in a place like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_3681.jpg   Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_3097.jpg   Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4034.jpg   Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4693.jpg   Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4909.jpg  

Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4702.jpg  

Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
I love my property. My land backs up to BLM land so I have unobstructed views of the mountains. The one directly behind me 9,500 elevation. From the top you can see my house and the whole valley.

Here is the snow capped mountain. A sunrise front yard view. Some local traffic clogging up the roads. A little local wildlife. And that little lake up the hill from me.

I'd think there would be some women out there that wouldn't living in a place like that.
All I can say is if our time on OLD had overlapped, I most likely would have responded. But I ended up happily matched and off the market before you really got going, from what it sounds like.

Personally, I think you may have given up too soon. I may have already said that.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
I gave up on the pirate costume years ago so no, I don't look like a biker. I don't even wear black Harley t-shirts any more (too hot!). Most of the photos are of me hiking or traveling in various locations. I had one in my firefighting gear and one with a bunch of friends in Catalina and I think one on my boat.

As far as the intangibles (BTW, thanks for the kind words), I don't think you can convey those so maybe that is an issue. Obviously, my location is a big issue and I had sent messages to women as far as Reno and different northern CA areas.

The bottom line is, I'm done with OLD (OnLine Dating for those who don't know the acronym) and will start trying to get out more. Lake Tahoe is not too far as are the rest of the Sierra's so will make trips to those areas as they are extremely beautiful and if I happen to meet someone while I'm there well, then great. If not, I will still have an enjoyable day!

PS: I can't believe no one has inquired about my screen name!
I just had an idea, after you posted the latest batch of photos.

One way to convey the "intangibles" is by including nature photos or scenery in your profile. Have you tried that? It speaks to your values. It also instantly communicates that you live in a very special and beautiful place. Sooner or later, that would prove irresistible to somebody.

Boat? You said you have a boat? What kind? If I lived near Tahoe, I'd want a sailboat. Those winds that pick up in the afternoon can be kinda dangerous, though...

Old 06-24-2018, 06:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There was a guy near my age who lived on my block. I saw him at the bus stop a few days a week - there is a commuter bus a lot of people take. When I’d walk up to the stop, I say good morning to the people waiting in line. I saw this guy also on the way home in line. Or we got off at the same stop. So instead of awkwardly following him for the 1 block walk, i’d attempt friendly convo. Let me clarify, I had absolutely no interest in him. But you know if you see someone a few times a week in the same places it seems prudent to not pretend they don’t exist.

Literally 6-7 years later I ran into him walking his dog and he said hi. I was like - oh that’s the weird guy who spent years ignoring me even though I walked by him every day.
Thanks for sharing your story. Maybe we can give our OP some ammo since he's not into OLD any more.

I miss enough gym that whenever I feel like it I just scoot over (8 minutes from home) and despite my workout yesterday I went back today anyway. (Actually I had a stitch I wanted to work out, and it seems to have worked.) So I saw this pretty lady I liked and noticed she was sort of getting into her music particularly resting between sets, and so was I. Our eyes caught one another more than a few times, we traded smiles... As we did our routines on different machines we traded smiles a few more times. As my session drew to a close I started drifting around and couldn't find her so I assumed she hit the showers.

I hung around the entrance chatting with a few employee friends and a customer, hoping she'd come out, I was all ready to introduce myself and invite her to share some iced tea or something nearby. Unfortunately evidently she had gone. But one thing I know for sure, we attend the same gym and next time I see her I'm going to wait until she's between machines and introduce myself then. I've had many dates at the gym but never met anybody there. Why? Because I never asked anybody there! Doh! Meanwhile I can live in happy anticipation of crossing paths with her again some time soon.

Imagine that! If it works out it will be my first RL date since 6 years ago met a woman I occasionally date in a platonic sense.

My point is that all we single people have to be ready to go at the drop of a dime. If you pass up an opportunity you may have lost it, or like me it's in the indefinite future now. If I had been smart I would have just introduced myself today, and hoped she would like my attention.

Ah, single life. It's such a pain, and worse, just when you think you have it solved and have your ideal lover and live happily ever after... you don't. Most of the women I'm dating are widows, and a few more who are divorced. Most of the widows miss their husbands, they're just making the best of their life after their beloved husband checked out early.

By the way Jade, I would have made friends just like you did! It wouldn't even matter to me if the person who shared my common sidewalk was man or woman, young or old. Walking a block you always walk with an acquaintance will always beat walking alone, and each of you gets to add a bit more friendship to the other's life. That is why I am always chatting people up no matter where I go!

If I don't watch myself one of these days I might meet a woman who turns into a dating friend!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
All I can say is if our time on OLD had overlapped, I most likely would have responded. But I ended up happily matched and off the market before you really got going, from what it sounds like.

Personally, I think you may have given up too soon. I may have already said that.
Ann, if I were a woman I'd be interested in our Hack too! The only thing I would see as a negative is his woman's lack of social opportunities. And that's why Hack is having problems with OLD. I'm sure a lot of women loved his profile... it's just that many if not most women love to socialize, and their socialization opportunities would be limited. (I'm a bit unusual that way, I'm more social than most men. I like socializing just for the heck of it.)

Hack is a very unusual Relationships story. Most of our stories about incompatibilities or personal problems. What Hack has is a geographic problem! He's totally cool! He just needs a woman who can enjoy his rural lifestyle.

I predict Hack will end up with a woman from another rural area who likes his mojo and is willing to try a different rural area.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I predict Hack will end up with a woman from another rural area who likes his mojo and is willing to try a different rural area.
Alternatively, he could end up with a woman who's retired, and thinks that living on a ranch amid beautiful scenery with occasional trips to Tahoe, with a mellow guy with a motorcycle & sidecar, plus a collection of conventional vehicles, and tending his ranch house and kitchen for him, would be a dream retirement. Somebody from Sacramento, looking for a change from the city, say.

How's your water supply out there, Hack? Are you on some kind of county water supply, or are you on a well? How's the water table been doing, with the climate getting drier, and less snowpack than in the past?

Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Ann, if I were a woman I'd be interested in our Hack too! The only thing I would see as a negative is his woman's lack of social opportunities. And that's why Hack is having problems with OLD. I'm sure a lot of women loved his profile... it's just that many if not most women love to socialize, and their socialization opportunities would be limited. (I'm a bit unusual that way, I'm more social than most men. I like socializing just for the heck of it.)

Hack is a very unusual Relationships story. Most of our stories about incompatibilities or personal problems. What Hack has is a geographic problem! He's totally cool! He just needs a woman who can enjoy his rural lifestyle.

Not every woman is a social butterfly. I am not. I might do something with female friends once or maybe twice a month.

I can definitely relate to the geographic issues. I live in the boonies, just not the same boonies, in the same general area. Between that and a somewhat unusual number of pets at home, I didn't get tons of interest past 1-3 meetings as a rule, and it took a year and a half to find someone who stuck around long enough for us to fall for each other. That's why I think a few months isn't enough in this area, if you're on the outskirts of civilized society.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM

If Rhee Drummond weren't already taken (I think she is) ... she's Pioneer Woman in cooking shows, I say let's fix Hack up with PW!

One thing Hack hasn't mentioned, some of those rural folks are uber-technology with latest technology solar power and heating, passive systems, electronic houses, major Internet and satellite involvement, living a life as modern as any of us.

I have a prediction of technology that has been coming for a long time, and its time is almost here. In fact we have the technology now if only we use it. I'm referring to video conferencing, or the ability to join my living room to your living room, and have a visit even though we may be hundreds or thousands of miles away. The only thing you can't do is share food or drink.

I think the rurals are going to get a real boost in technology really soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
Not every woman is a social butterfly.
OMG if I put that in my OLD profile I'd never get another date, not ever!

Old 06-24-2018, 11:17 PM

431 posts, read 352,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I just had an idea, after you posted the latest batch of photos.

One way to convey the "intangibles" is by including nature photos or scenery in your profile. Have you tried that? It speaks to your values. It also instantly communicates that you live in a very special and beautiful place. Sooner or later, that would prove irresistible to somebody.

Boat? You said you have a boat? What kind? If I lived near Tahoe, I'd want a sailboat. Those winds that pick up in the afternoon can be kinda dangerous, though...

I had several photos of my area in my profile.

I have a 32' performance boat with twin fuel injected supercharged 7.4 Mercury Racing engines. It goes close to 80 MPH. It is a 24 degree deadrise at the transom boat so cuts through big water with no problems. I used to run it up and down the coast and over to Catalina all the time. There is nothing Tahoe can throw at it that it can't handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4263.jpg   Ugly Seaks It's Own Level or Why I Quit O.L.D.-img_4281.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships