Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 3,636 times

Advertisements

So my husband and I got married a year ago, but I haven't been able to move in with him yet as the immigration process hasn't completed. I do, however, visit frequently (about twice a month). A month and a half ago, he asked me if one of his close friends could stay at his place. I said that was okay as long as whenever I came the house was clean. The first time I went since his friend was staying, the house was disgusting, my blanket and pillow was on the couch (which meant his friend had been using them) - so I got very annoyed. Since then, every time I have gone the house has been clean, however I am still very uncomfortable with the idea of his friend still not leaving. My husband thinks I have no reason to be uncomfortable since I get the place clean, and his friend leaves when I come to visit. But I constantly worry about the maintenance of my house and just don't feel good about it. Am I overreacting? Should I just let it be?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightxox View Post
So my husband and I got married a year ago, but I haven't been able to move in with him yet as the immigration process hasn't completed. I do, however, visit frequently (about twice a month). A month and a half ago, he asked me if one of his close friends could stay at his place. I said that was okay as long as whenever I came the house was clean. The first time I went since his friend was staying, the house was disgusting, my blanket and pillow was on the couch (which meant his friend had been using them) - so I got very annoyed. Since then, every time I have gone the house has been clean, however I am still very uncomfortable with the idea of his friend still not leaving. My husband thinks I have no reason to be uncomfortable since I get the place clean, and his friend leaves when I come to visit. But I constantly worry about the maintenance of my house and just don't feel good about it. Am I overreacting? Should I just let it be?
You're overreacting.

So the place was a mess exactly once? And the rest of the time, the house was in apple pie order?

Jeez, you're not a very forgiving person.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:57 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Yeah you're overreacting big time.

Your controlling self wouldn't be invited back at my place cause your attitude sucks.

Last edited by 49ersfan27; 06-22-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
My mom would say you are being a little too big for your britches. I mean, it's HIS house. I can't believe he had to ASK your permission to have a friend stay.

Yes, you are overreacting, and your attitude doesn't bode well for living with someone.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Let it be.

The house was messy one time. The blanket and pillowcase can be washed. Or you can buy new ones and store in a closet when you're not there.

Does the friend know that when you (permanently) move in, he moves out? Why does maintenance of the house constantly worry you? That's not really something worth being constantly worried about.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:04 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
My mom would say you are being a little too big for your britches. I mean, it's HIS house. I can't believe he had to ASK your permission to have a friend stay.

Yes, you are overreacting, and your attitude doesn't bode well for living with someone.
^^^ This. And you seems to be very controlling, OP.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:

No kidding.

Mind you, I don't believe in the 'This is mine and that is yours' approach to relationships. At the same time, if I were the husband, I would be thinking, "Dear God. The rest of my life could be like this."

Old 06-22-2018, 01:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
If your husband is ok living in filth then it’s not the friend that is the issue... sorry to say!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If your husband is ok living in filth then it’s not the friend that is the issue... sorry to say!
Well, the OP didn't exactly define her standards of what 'filth' was. If she were OCD it could mean leaving a couple of dishes in the sink.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:

They are married so it is not “his” house, it is their house. I would want to know how long this friend plans to stay. There should be an end point. Marriage is about compromise. Don’t feel guilty if you are not comfortable with the arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships