Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 AM

314 posts, read 439,120 times

Advertisements

OP, you said you are fine being friends right now but you would like to see if there is more. She told you she see's you two as friends now, but this could develop into a relationship, or not.

I say be a nice friend and enjoy your time with her and let things develop on their own but also keep an open mind that she or you may meet someone along the way. What I am saying is don't focus 100% on being her friend and be blinded to possibly meeting someone else.

I have a question and I am not trying to be mean or funny but what if she told you she met someone that she liked? What do you truly think your reaction would be?

Anyhow, good luck OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 07:50 AM

399 posts, read 220,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBC View Post
OP, you said you are fine being friends right now but you would like to see if there is more. She told you she see's you two as friends now, but this could develop into a relationship, or not.

I say be a nice friend and enjoy your time with her and let things develop on their own but also keep an open mind that she or you may meet someone along the way. What I am saying is don't focus 100% on being her friend and be blinded to possibly meeting someone else.

I have a question and I am not trying to be mean or funny but what if she told you she met someone that she liked? What do you truly think your reaction would be?

Anyhow, good luck OP.
I would wish her the best and give her a LOT of space. I'd probably keep in touch but she'd be friendzoned for life.

Oh, and thanks for your input. It seems reasonable.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:52 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,693,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
If that's the case, why would she say "Not yet" instead of "I don't see you that way" when I told her I wanted to kiss her?

Unless you think she's intentionally leading me on - which I would strongly disagree with, based on how I know her.
I wouldn't believe she is intentionally leading you on. The "not yet" sounds like she believes you may not want to spend as much time with her if she says never.

She needs a friend. Be a friend, but realize that that may be all it is.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:55 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,846,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
She has set clear boundaries - you're in the friend zone. Are you ok with being just friends with her? Because chances are, that's as far as it will go.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I wasted over a year of my life being kept at arm's length with a guy who never intended to take things further, yet wanted to call, text, go out, etc.

You're only a few weeks in - you can decide now if you're ok with her not seeing you in a potential-sexual-partner way.
I agree.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:58 AM

26,695 posts, read 41,684,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sayeth the expert.

OP, I don't know what her ultimate intentions are. It may be that she doesn't have any. If you like her and she is a good friend, enjoy the friendship. If it develops into something more, wonderful. If not, she's still worth knowing, right?

I hate this all-or-nothing attitude about friends vs. lovers. It seems to me that a balanced life could benefit from both kinds of relationship.
There is a difference between going into something with a romantic intent but having to settle for friendship only vs meeting someone with no intent and a platonic friendship developing from that. I strongly advise against the former since all it will leave is hurt feelings.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is a difference between going into something with a romantic intent but having to settle for friendship only vs meeting someone with no intent and a platonic friendship developing from that. I strongly advise against the former since all it will leave is hurt feelings.
I agree. It wouldn't be an organic, authentic friendship.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,831,324 times
I don’t cuddle with my make friends. She is using you for intimacy right now. You have to decide if that is Ok.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:27 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,340,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I agree. It wouldn't be an organic, authentic friendship.
I agree. I think men sometimes get a bad rap in these situations when they want to step away. I have women friends, and in fact I've had better friendships with women than with men. I've developed some attraction for women I'm friends with, and I managed that fine. However, I haven't ever been first interested in a woman romantically, and after being turned down, become her friend. That doesn't work for me, or at least it never has.

It's not a matter of me devaluing friendship with a woman, it's a matter of me taking care of my feelings as I so choose, which is sort of my job.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
It's not a matter of me devaluing friendship with a woman, it's a matter of me taking care of my feelings as I so choose, which is sort of my job.
... which, in turn, considers her feelings as well because if you are just doing friend stuff while holding back romantic feelings all the time you aren't really being a true friend.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:00 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,340,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... which, in turn, considers her feelings as well because if you are just doing friend stuff while holding back romantic feelings all the time you aren't really being a true friend.
Quite true. It's usually the case that when we take reasonable (not narcissistic) care of ourselves we're generally better friends, lovers, or acquaintances. Authentic, and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships